OS X on the new 10.1" AAO?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by superchink, Mar 9, 2009.

1. superchink

towunder

I've tried iDeneb 10.5.6, iPC 10.5.6 and XxX 10.5.6, all the latest, final, whatever. So far I've had zero luck getting the following items going, but that's most likely because I've been following A150 guides:

- Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel will not boot with cpus=2 flag. I have to constantly boot with cpus=1. Kernel panics otherwise.
    - No sound.
    - No ethernet so far. Again, I've been stupidly following A150 guides.
    - No wifi like everyone else.

There is a dearth of D150 information on the net, and so far nobody has stuck with the same terminology for the different AAO models. AAO, A110, A150, D150, etc... I end up getting sucking into the same A110/150 guides and threads where they mix advice.

I'm exceedingly happy to finally find this thread! I'll be giving it another go tonight. I might start with XxX and switch back to iDeneb if I don't have any better luck than I have already.

However, for anyone reading this thread who wants to post their A150 install customization, please don't! We're talking about the D150 and I've been through too many 75 post threads where it went from the D150 to solving A150 problems and kexts.

Thanks!

towunder, Apr 7, 2009
  2. superchink

brushless

I totally agree with you: the 10.1" AAO D150 is only just being shipped and the user base is still quite small as compared to the original 8.9" models, and the major change in hardware specs in the D150 is creating a whole lot of confusion for OSX86 users ... I ordered my D150 based on reading about the success of 8.9" AAO users :oops: and now regret not choosing the MSI WIND instead :cry: .

The sound problem can be easily solved by using a cheap USB dongle. Ditto for WIFI with a USB dongle or DW1390 mini PCIe replacement card. I've had an easy basic stripped down install with iDeneb 1.4 from a 8GB USB Flash Drive. The netbook package for the AAO A150 in iDeneb naturally does not work. Also had no success getting 1024x600 native resolution displayed. Still experimenting with various install packages. That's it for now.

brushless, Apr 7, 2009
  3. superchink

nicholms

Here’s my progress thus-far.

10.5.6 installed and running on my AspireOne d150

Thanks to everyone in this sub-forum (Vamp13 and yohko101 especially) as well as to countless others (Rory, SbM, Diablonet, etc) in the AspireOne User Forums and the InsanelyMac forums. My results are good, but perhaps better results can be had from other installation instructions. As noted, info on installing on the d150 is currently scarce (and often confused with the a150). I’m sure that I’ll be re-installing in the future as someone will come up with a more unified and streamlined approach to installing on the d150 AAO.

What doesn’t work:
    1) NO sound out from speakers (have not tried line out or line in).
    2) NO LAN (If you the appropriate wireless card installed, it’ll work right away if you choose the broadcom wireless package upon installation)
    3) NO operational Time Machine (apparently there’s a fix for this, but I have not tried it yet, since it’s gotten mixed reviews).
    4) Sleep is questionable, see below...

There are likely a couple of other items that are not optimal, waiting for discovery.

What does work:
    1) Temporary Sleep (Hibernation?) seems to work, so I can let the screen darken for short periods of time without having to do a hard re-start (I think it it's asleep too long, though, I do have to do a hard re-start).
    2) Trackpad fully functional and has a System Preferences Tab in the Keyboard & Mouse Hardware preferences. NOTE: Upon first install, only the cursor movement will work, which means all clicks are manual and a big pain (maybe requiring two handed trackpad/button use!) See fix below, and note that I have not installed 2-finger anything.
    3) Monitor spanning. DO NOT TRY TO MIRROR your monitor, as this will surely muck things completely. I will be working on this one, but it is likely to be just fine as it is, since my presentation software allows presentations to go live on an attached monitor or projector. I’m testing this on a Westinghouse LCD television with a resolution of 1360 x 768.
    4) Display resolution of 1024 x 600
    5) No kernel panic upon first start-up! Goes right into multilingual Welcome and allows completion without incident.
    6) Built-in camera is operational and you can use it right away when choosing a user icon. Have not tested it otherwise, so mileage with Skype, etc. may vary.
    7) Start-up time is good (<45 sec. with the minimum system I have).
    8) No kernel panics on shut-down (and shut-down only takes about 30 seconds, usually).
    9) Microsoft Office 2008 works (Excel, Word, Powerpoint).

HOW I INSTALLED:

Install source: XxX_x86_10.5.6_Install_Disk_Universal_Final (on a 16 GB USB drive, though DVD also worked – just slower).
    Supplementary source: iATKOS 5i (again, on a USB drive).

1) Install your broadcom-based wireless card (Dell 1390 or 1490, whatever you have, doing it in advance of your installation WILL make it easier!)
    2) Use DiskUtility to format or erase the target partition to be Mac OS Extended Journaled.
    3) Select the following options:

A) Essential System Software
    B) X11
    C) Optional Bootloader [I found more success with PCEFI_v9.0, but your circumstances may be different. For example, I did not regularly re-install a bootloader, since my bootloader was on a different partition and was not being erased each time I tried a different configuration.]
    D) IN System Kexts: ALL of the Essential System Kexts
    E) IN Optional Kernel: AnV 9.6.0 Kernel (Intel/AMD)
    F) IN GraphicsDrivers > Intel GMA Graphics > GMA950: DarwinGMA950_0x27ae
    G) IN NetworkDrivers: Select all of these following:
    - RealtekR1000.Driver
    - RTL8187L
    - AtherosAR5004G wireless Driver.
    - RT2500-RT73-USB
    - BroadcomWireless
    - AtherosWireless
    H) IN Powermanagement: ACPIBatteryManager
    I) IN Tools: Select all of the contents

4) Let the installer do its job (I didn't experience anything out of the ordinary - just wait for the computer to wrap up, and re-start, doing anything you usually need to do to get your Mac partition to start).
    5) Go through the registration process.
    6) Apply the trackpad fix. I found the fix for my trackpad here, so “mene” gets credit for it:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12761
    - I didn’t mess with AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
    - I only reinstalled Keyboard.prefPane with Pacifist (to find the prefPane from the iATKOS 5i USB drive/DVD and to install it where it on the AAO).

That’s it. If you have everything in advance, it does not take long to do it all. With some practice (yes, that’s a sick joke) it takes less time each time.

If I note bugs or glitches, I’ll advise. I DO NOT plan on doing any spontaneous updates until I’m able to get a reliable back-up.

Cheers.

nicholms, Apr 8, 2009
  4. superchink

brushless

nicholms: thank you very much for your detailed post on XxX install for the D150. :D

I'm only getting 800x600 for my D150 :( . Can you tell me how did you obtain 1024x600 display? In my iDeneb v1.4 install, AppleIntelGMA950.kext was not picked up by the kernel when booting up even though it was in /System/Library/Extensions/. Instead, AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext was selected. Even if I deleted AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext's, GMA950 was still not loaded. It seems like something in the install is preventing GMA950 from being loaded, but I don't know who is the offender. I've read that there was a Darwin950 fix for 1024x600 but it has been banned from Google Code.

Would you please upload the DarwinGMA950_0x27ae kext from your XxX install here for me to try, saving me to download the entire XxX iso? I would continue to experiment with iDeneb v1.4 because I have it up also on a Dell Inspiron 1501 which lacked CI/QE due to lack of driver for ATI x1150 video. TIA.

brushless, Apr 9, 2009
  5. superchink

rory

I'm pretty sure you have a GMA 50 dont you, which is unsupported by OS X, there arent even hacked drivers for it.
    Could be wrong though, that might be those 11.6 inch ones.
    Also, you lot are in a bad boat for OS X, as most of our hardware is the same as the MSI Wind, so as ours came out a couple of weeks later, OS X was alresdy on the wind and we knew exact specs and the kexts were all easily available, mainly at firs by using paulsWindUtilityPack (from paul at modaco)
    I would have got it if it had been GMA 950 with the resolution of the 11.6 ones, but no its either got the good chipset or good res. Good luck with it guys, any posts about the A150, dont moan at them, just drop me a pm and ill move it.
    Might try and get a new section for it too.

rory, Apr 9, 2009
  6. superchink

birdtales

OK I redid my install following nicholms instructions and I have a display resolution of 1024 x 600 finally.

Sound of course still does not work but I have a USB audio adapter that is working perfectly.

I set the AAO to NOT sleep but allow it to turn off the screen after X mins and that is working well.

I have a Dell wireless card so wireless works.

Only thing I am still missing is a prefpane for the trackpad. I tried to install the keyboard.prefpane as instructed but I do not have an iATKOS 5i disk to get it from. I tried various keyboard.prefpane(s) from the internet to no avail. I assume all I have to do is drop the file in /Library/Prefpanes/ and double click it to install? I am getting the iATKOS 5i disk now so will try again exactly as instructed. :(

birdtales, Apr 9, 2009
  7. superchink

nicholms

Here are the requested components:

The graphics driver from XxX (there are 3 kexts in the folder):
    http://www.4shared.com/file/97645120/ac ... older.html

The keyboard.prefPane from iATKOS 5i (broken into aprox 1 Mb chunks as rar files - use RAR expander to expand the first one and the rest will follow):
    http://www.4shared.com/file/97645479/ae ... art01.html
    http://www.4shared.com/file/97645495/39 ... art02.html
    http://www.4shared.com/file/97645509/e0 ... art03.html
    http://www.4shared.com/file/97645516/69 ... art04.html

I don't know how long these will be available...

nicholms, Apr 9, 2009
  8. superchink

birdtales

I'll try the prefpane tonight thanks for the link!

birdtales, Apr 10, 2009
  9. superchink

brushless

Thank you so much for the uploads ... Keeping my fingers crossed ... ;)

Edit: DarwinGMA950 worked perfectly; now have CI/QE enabled with 1024x600 res.
    The iDeneb v1.4 install already activated the Trackpad, so no need for the iAtkos kexts.

brushless, Apr 11, 2009
  10. superchink

birdtales

Tried many times and many ways to install from the prefpane you supplied and couldn't get it to work. I obtained the iATKOS 5i disk and using Pacifist installed it and it is working perfectly! Thanks for posting this fix.

Now if we can just get sound and sleep I would be ecstatic. :)

birdtales, Apr 12, 2009
  11. superchink

mklo

Thanks for the info I have successfully installed XxX on D150. I have 2 questions:

1. How to get trackpad work by tapping on it? Right now I have to click the left button to select. Will installing the keyboard.prefpane get it to work?
    2. I have prevously installed WIndows 7 (7077) on the first partition, now when I select Windows on boot up it goes to error "Bootmgr is missing". How can I get Windows to boot?

Thanks.

mklo, Apr 13, 2009
  12. superchink

nicholms

To answer the previous post (by mklo), yes, installing the keyboard.prefpane will get it to work. See my first note below for additional information on the prefpane that I made available from iATKOS 5i.

For your bootmanager on your Windows 7 partition, don't despair, as this can be repaired. I don't recall how I did it before, but I faced the same issue with XP and was able to fix it. If I find my notes, I'll upload them.

Now, a couple of notes:

1) A note on the iATKOS 5i files I made available on the previous page - the four iATKOS 5i rar files include the graphics driver from XxX, so if you download them, you don't need to get the separate graphics driver, too. BUT, you will have downloaded four .rar files that are essentially segmented compressed parts of the total package. You cannot use stuffit expander to decompress and stitch the segments together. You must use something like "RAR Expander" - it's very basic and you just select the first segment (navigate through the file menu) to expand, tell it where to expand to, and it grabs the segments in sequence and provides a complete file (or folder, in the case of the segments I provided). I have tested the files and they should work for anyone who uses RAR Expander. Just drag the prefpane into the PreferencePanes folder (System/Library/PreferencePanes/Keyboard.prefPane)

2) A note on the use of PowerPoint:Mac 2008 - using "view presenter tools" in the slideshow menu, you can present on an extended external monitor while having the presentation notes and slide previews available on the display of the AAO. I have not had any problems with this so far.

After I try out the sound fix noted in Brambo's post from today, I'll report back (here and in that topic, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13288, as well). I'm not worried about LAN right now, and less so because it sounds like it might eat up the battery (see Brambo's other topic, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13271), but if I test it out, I'll report back.

nicholms, Apr 14, 2009
  13. superchink

Guest Guest

hi all, thanks yohko101 post for the lan and sound fix here, finally got my sound working :lol:
    Acer Aspire One D150 Model : KAV10, Atom N280
    Distro : XxX 10.5.6 Universal Final2

Guest, Apr 14, 2009
  14. superchink

rory

1. need to install the 10.5.5 keyboard.prefpane and then so to system preferences->keyboard and mouse->trackpad->enable tap to click

Alternatively, download VoodooPS2Controller.kext (google it) install it including the trackpa option (its the new trackpad.prefpane) then before reboot remove appleps2controller.kext and anything else with ps2 in its name in /system/lbrary/extensions (but should only be that) Then you have a full working seperate prefpane for trackpad and you can use scrolling on the trackpad and also 2 finger tap for right click.

2. you need to mark the windows partitiona ctive using disk utility
    sudo fdisk e /dev/rdisk0
    [enter password]
    flag X [but replace X with whatever partition number windows it, you can find out from disk utility, 1 is the top of the partition diagram, 2 next etc etc]
    write
    quit
    (by the way, type all that, dont do it)
    Now reboot with the windows dvd in an external drive
    On boot, go into the boot options and choose dvd drive
    now when it comes up, choose language, then under install it should have repair, you should be able to click repair and itl repair itself.
    Now youll boot into windows 7, download easybcd and install it. Then open it up and add an option for osx86
    Reboot, select osx86 from the windows bootloader and boot os x
    Then download chameleon 2 and install it.
    Now you should have an optionto bot both os'es from each other. Windows can get to the OS X bootloader and chameleon can load the windows bootloader. Everyones happy.
    Thats what I've got setup on my desktop and works perfectly, especially if I select windows in chameleon by accident, then I can go to os X without rebooting.

rory, Apr 14, 2009
  15. superchink

towunder

I haven't 100% completed my work on my latest install, but I have managed to have some good success, here's what I did:

1) Installed XxX 10.5.6 Final v2, selected the following custom options:
    - Graphic: GMA950 0x27ae
    - Power: ACPIBatteryManager
    - Audio: No audio
    - Network: Zydas driver (I've got a Zydas based USB wifi stick)
    - Options: KeyboardPrePane fix, Local Time Toggle, Boot Prompt
    - Tools: All

2) After reboot at the boot prompt, I HAVE to set cpus=1. Otherwise the kernel crashes and reboots. I still have not seen any comments on hyperthreading not working with the D150. So I have no clue why this is a problem for me.

3) Install the VoodooHDA audio driver found here:
    download/file.php?id=1195
    ;from this thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12172&start=10

4) Run OSX86Tools, Enable Quartz, Fix permissions, Reboot.

What do I still have to get working?
    1) Multi-cpu support, grrrr...
    2) Sleep? Don't know yet I haven't been able to test it.
    3) Haven't bothered with LAN.
    4) Trackpad tap still doesn't work. I just want the scroll support to be honest.

Looks good though. Man, it was a HUGE relief to get wifi support with my Zydas stick! OSX (or any OS) is basically useless without an internet hook up.

Thanks for the help gents. I'll update when I get the rest working tonight. Maybe a Windows 7 dual boot is in order now that I've gotten things this far.

towunder, Apr 15, 2009
  16. superchink

skrez

I have gotten my D150 installed on xXx10.5.6

I installed all of the packages like everyone else including the Voodoo PS2 package. but i still have some cursor lag that occurs every 10-20 seconds. Does anyone else have this issue?

Is this due to not disabling mutliple CPU?

UPDATE: Figured it out. Even if you don't install a driver for the Atheros WIFI you still want to remove it. Once I took this out the lag in the mouse pointer and some issues with audio went away. Also it seems the the rare kernel panic also went away. Waiting for a Dell 1390 part to ship from Hong Kong as it is on order will swap it in and install the Broadcom driver later to try and fix it.

skrez, Apr 15, 2009
  17. superchink

towunder

I had the same problem a couple of installs ago. I only started noticing it after enabling Quartz, but I do recall installing the Atheros drivers at the same time as well.

Are you saying you removed the Atheros wifi card from the D150 altogether?

That being said, are you also having problems with multiple cpus? I still haven't seen anyone reply to this point. (whether on this thread, my post or in other threads)

Good to hear you're making progress as well!

towunder, Apr 15, 2009
  18. superchink

6klub

I copied what nicholms posted (thank you) to get up to speed but still can't find a way to get sound yet.

I'll do some more tinkering this weekend

6klub, Apr 16, 2009
  19. superchink

tishaban

My first attempt to install OSX on my D150 with the XxX. Most stuff worked, except as expected, Wifi (haven't bought the broadcom card yet), sleep, trackpad. I still don't have sound and I still haven't tried the built in bluetooth either. Thanks for the tips already posted, I'll post my own if I find anything new!

tishaban, Apr 16, 2009
  20. superchink

nicholms

NOTE: Edited for clarity and credit...

I've installed sound as described by yohko101 viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12172&start=10#p82248. The VoodooHDA file that yohko101 put together (compiled) contains a kext for sound output from the built-in speakers of D150. Install with Kext Helper b7 after you finish your other installations. Rebuild preferences with Disk Utility. Restart. Adjust in sound control panel in system extensions (experiment and you'll find what selection provides sound out from the built-in speakers). No problems with the sound thus far.

Rory provided the same instructions above that I followed to repair my booting issues (THANKS Rory), though they were in a different a topic; viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7679&p=51280&hilit=rory+fdisk+e#p51280

Cheers.

nicholms, Apr 17, 2009
Ask a Question