OSX Performance

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Aug 15, 2008.

1. SbM

SbM

Mac OS X boot time

FYI, my install of Mac OS X on an external 2,5" USB drive (Hitachi 4200rpm I think) takes 65 seconds to boot and get me to a fully functional desktop. Not too bad. Can't wait to see how it'll work on a 1,8" internal drive...

SbM, Aug 15, 2008
  2. SbM

daryl425

Re: Mac OS X boot time

I've managed ~90 sec with a Class 4 8GB A-Data micro SDHC.

daryl425, Aug 15, 2008
  3. SbM

rory

Mine's about a minute to desktop.
    On an external HDD. Going to buy a(nother) ZIF HDD (after the broken one got lost in the post while returning it) and keep it on that, I'm already at 10.4GB and thats without any media, so can't go on SSD.
    Rory

rory, Aug 15, 2008
  4. SbM

rory

rory, Aug 15, 2008
  5. SbM

schmitzoide

My boot time is 68 seconds with an internal 1.8'' Toshiba's 80GB hard disk 4200 RPM (arrived the day before yesterday), bought at www.computeruniverse.net.

Marcel

schmitzoide, Aug 15, 2008
  6. SbM

schmitzoide

schmitzoide, Aug 15, 2008
  7. SbM

SbM

Good news schmitzoide, I'm waiting for my 30GB 1,8" Toshiba drive any day now, glad to hear it won't be any slower than my external drive.

SbM, Aug 15, 2008
  8. SbM

SP1950

Hi everyone,

I am not an AA1 user, but I'm interested in running OSX on it.
    I am curious about the performance of OSX running of AA1, using vanilla kernel.

1. How long does it take for starting up? (My PC took almost 1.5 min using hacked kernel.)
    2. Is 512MB RAM enough for OSX? If not, would the upgrade of memory void the warranty?
    3. Anyone tried using it to play 720p x264 vids? I would be very surprised if it runs smooth. ;)

And I have a big question:
    I heard that many AA1 was bricked when USB devices were used to boot the machine.
    Some even said that the replacement of RAM module killed the board.
    Is that true? If so, how can I get it installed?

Thanks in advance for answering :)

SP1950, Sep 5, 2008
  9. SbM

boert

1. about 30 sec.
    2. would take the one150 with 1024MB and also because the SDD is to slow for OSX
    3. have tested some DIVxes in Fullscreen no problems. dont know if it was 720p

i did a performance test with Google earth .. i tested under OSX and XP .. same same but different ;)
    same speed i didnt recognize performace plus of XP.
    Batterytime is about 2:40 with Wlan.

cheers

boert, Sep 5, 2008
  10. SbM

SP1950

thanks for the reply! :)

btw, which distro did you use?
    and did you use a usb dvd rom to install osx?

thanks again ;)

SP1950, Sep 5, 2008
  11. SbM

fletch33

my boot up time is about 30 seconds as well.

i have a 250GB 7200RPM HDD and i upgraded the ram to 1.5GB.

i highly recommend using the version and guide here.

i did not follow the A section of that guide but instead installed XP first (lite version since it runs much faster) and then install norton partition magic and set up a FAT32 partition after your XP and decide how much space you want to give it (OSX). i suggest a minimum 15GB. then follow the directions in the B: section but when it comes to using the disk utility just use it to format the partition you already made to Extended Journaled since it is now FAT32, go ahead and name it something like OSX when formatting it, then install OSX on that. when your finished you will have the option to boot XP or Mac when you fire up your acer.

when you are finished you can use some software called MacDrive on your XP side to be able to read and write to your entire OSX side and then use Paragon NTFS on your OSX side to be able to read and write to everything on your XP side. this set means that you will be able to get to all files on your machine regardless of what OS you decided to boot in to. your XP will show your Mac aprtition as a D: drive and you will also see your XP drive when on OSX.

i am using mainly OSX and rarely if ever fire up XP. i only installed XP for a few pieces of hacking type software for my iPhone and my wifes windows mobile phone.

hope that helps

good luck

fletch33, Sep 5, 2008
  12. SbM

myk

myk, Sep 5, 2008
  13. SbM

SP1950

thanks for the info :D
    i will get one when there is special discount here :lol:
    but the winxp license will be wasted... :x

SP1950, Sep 6, 2008
  14. SbM

ViRAL

OSX boot time

Hi,
    I'm very surprised to hear about boot times as low as 30s ... it takes 2min30s to my AAOne to boot !
    I use Kalyway 10.5.2 with vanillakernel on the stock 8Go SSD and journaling is off ...

ViRAL, Sep 10, 2008
  15. SbM

fletch33

Re: OSX boot time

im in no way an expert on SSD but i believe they are a bit slower than my 7,200RPM at this point. i could be wrong but i am basing this on what i have read about start up times based with different hardware.

i love the concept of SSD but i am waiting for an increase in size versus cost. i am someone that has gotten to the point that 250GB is my acceptable level of storage. i have 16GB on my iPhone and that is usually full.

fletch33, Sep 10, 2008
  16. SbM

SbM

The stock 8GB SSD is DEAD slow. My 30GB 1,8" drive is a lot faster (4200rpm), and a 7200rpm drive is obviously faster still.

SbM, Sep 10, 2008
  17. SbM

ViRAL

OK, so I feel I'll have to change the stock SSD, too !
    I have just received my dell wifi card (works like a charm, as planned) and started to use more intensively the Acer for browsing.
    And to be honest, I'm very disappointed : it's simply unusable !
    Safari is incredibly slow, and nearly every action implies waiting several seconds ....
    I wonder if a fast hard disk drive could really make a difference ?
    Is browsing fast for you ? Do you use Safari or Firefox ?

ViRAL, Sep 22, 2008
  18. SbM

SbM

Of course it would. Faster hard drive and more RAM are two things that make a real difference on a Mac OS X machine.

I tried both, they both work real fine. Of course they'd be faster on a quad-processor Mac Pro, but hey, it's only a netbook ;)

SbM, Sep 23, 2008
  19. SbM

ViRAL

Thanks SbM !
    I already have 1.5Gb of RAM, and I just ordered the same Toshiba drive as yours.

ViRAL, Sep 24, 2008
  20. SbM

ryusamus

As someone who has tried OSX on the SSD and since upgraded the RAM and hd to a 1.8 toshiba - the performance increase is off the charts, night & day difference. My One works like a dream now.

My boottime is close to 30 sec (more than makes up for the fact that sleep doesn't work) and general performance is fast, and reliable.

ryusamus, Sep 24, 2008
Ask a Question