OSX

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by stevejobs, Jul 12, 2008.

1. stevejobs

stevejobs

Hi all,
    Have anyone tried to install OSX? I know a Tawianese guy did it but don't know how. I've been trying with kalyway 10.5.2 with no luck :-(

Any help will be great.

Cheers,
    SJ

stevejobs, Jul 12, 2008
  2. stevejobs

smacman

Now that would be awesome!

smacman, Jul 13, 2008
  3. stevejobs

lotus49

Mine hasn't arrived yet so while I intend to try this I haven't yet, although I have done it several times before.

Someone managed this on an MSI Wind (same processor as the One) so it ought to work and they used Kalyway 10.5.2. I suggest you seek help in the osx86project.org, they will be best placed to help.

lotus49, Jul 13, 2008
  4. stevejobs

bb320

Tried OSX...um failed, I wasn't able to get to the GUI...

I assume they were able to use the safemode or something to install it.

bb320, Jul 15, 2008
  5. stevejobs

webdude12

I can get OSX to fully work minus the wifi and the sound card. I have been using Kalway 10.5.3.

DO NOT USE THE Vanilla Kernel. Use the Sleep Kernel, it works fine.

Couple of things. The 8GB SSD is fast on OSX, but this is not really enough space for Leopard. I have ordered a 40GB ZIF drive that will be here tommorrow. Since I am leaving early Thursday Morning, and need a fully working device, I have decided to tackle this when I get back. :)

webdude12, Jul 15, 2008
  6. stevejobs

Strawberry Field

I had installed Kalway 10.5.2 right after RAM upgrade. The whole installation process was not that much slow as Windows XP with NTFS, but WOW.. running speed took ever and Leopard detect only 800*600 resolution. Not much hardware drivers are supported yet.

Strawberry Field, Jul 16, 2008
  7. stevejobs

2manydjs

Has anyone tried this for the Wifi?

The MSI Wind OS X wiki page has info on how to enable native resolution.

I understand sound card doesn't work yet, but what about the internal speakers? I think MSI Wind has the same sound card and its speakers work.

2manydjs, Jul 16, 2008
  8. stevejobs

webdude12

To get the resolution up, you need the MSI Wind Ktext. ( http://wind-osx86.wikispaces.com/10.5+Post-Install )

As far as the wireless:
    There drivers are out there. There seems to be sometype of PCI-E Cardbus to Wireless Card communication problems. Like I said I just didnt spend alot of time on it because of the size of the SSD.

As far as sound:
    A dump will need be done with a linux live cd, and then using one of the audio patchers, all should be a go. This will be something I will look into more after I get back from my trip, and can install my new hard drive.

:)

webdude12, Jul 16, 2008
  9. stevejobs

stevejobs

Hi,

Got kalyway 10.5.2 to install, it's a simple process. Followed most of MSI hints. I couldn't a bunch of things to work yet: wifi, sound, webcam (Acer Crystal? May it really be Acer's?) and card reader. Couldn't get sleep to work either. Tried both vanilla and sleep kernels. With the sleep kernel USB seems to have some problems though.

Speed seems really reasonable and at par with Linux. However, there is this stuttering behavior seen also with XP accessing SSD. There's some strong contention on SSD access that might be caused by paging (although more than 50% of my current 1.5GB RAM was free) or atime fs access.

webdude12: is your 40GB drive SSD?

Cheers

stevejobs, Jul 16, 2008
  10. stevejobs

SbM

Since I have no optical drive for my Aspire One, I tried to restore the kalyway .iso to my external hard drive (using Disk Utility on my Mac Mini), but the One wouldn't boot from this. I selected it in the BIOS boot options, but it just showed a blinking prompt and nothing else. For those who did it : what did you install from ? USB key ? DVD ?

SbM, Jul 16, 2008
  11. stevejobs

2manydjs

Link.

I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking of two options; 1. use Darwin install CD to create a bootable HD. Restore Kalyway to the Darwin partition. Or 2. Use OSx86 Tools to make restored Kalyway HD Bootable.

Let me know if one of these work.

2manydjs, Jul 16, 2008
  12. stevejobs

stevejobs

External DVD.

stevejobs, Jul 16, 2008
  13. stevejobs

2manydjs

I'm sure people who have one have thought of that. :)

2manydjs, Jul 16, 2008
  14. stevejobs

SbM

I think he was just answering my question of "how did you install ?", not simply telling me to use an external DVD ;)

SbM, Jul 16, 2008
  15. stevejobs

2manydjs

Hah! :) OK..

2manydjs, Jul 16, 2008
  16. stevejobs

webdude12

I got the webcam to work, without any problems. Also the SD card slots. The only thing that was not working for me, was wifi and sound.

But I was using 10.5.3

Let me get back from trip next week. I will slap my new hard drive in, and get everything working. :)

webdude12, Jul 16, 2008
  17. stevejobs

Aspirante

Hi I have an Aspire One with only 512Mb RAM. In boot it shows only 500Mb (because of shared video memory). Could this be the cause of why I can't get my Leopard kalyway 10.5.2 started?

Aspirante, Jul 16, 2008
  18. stevejobs

Aspirante

Sorry I didn't say that it boots the External DVD, it installs, but in first boot, it's starts a loop rebooting. It seems it crash's after 4-5 sec entereing the boot process. Any advice, info or comment will be apreciated.

Thank you.

Aspirante, Jul 16, 2008
  19. stevejobs

lotus49

I intend to try this when mine arrives but I haven't been able to on a One yet.

Since there are a few of us interested in this, I shall PM King and ask him if he can add a Software OSX section to the forum.

lotus49, Jul 16, 2008
  20. stevejobs

Flaterik

i'm very interested to do this. But we are shure that osx can run in the Aspire One?

Flaterik, Jul 16, 2008
Ask a Question