OSX

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by stevejobs, Jul 12, 2008.

1. stevejobs

SbM

Thanks a lot for the French layout, works fine. Only problem is with the "<"/">" key in the bottom-left corner, which doesn't work and is remapped to the upper "2" key. Any way to make it work properly?

Also, before I break anything, how exactly do you pull the keys from the keyboard. Do you "pop" them up from the bottom? from the top? The "2" and "<>" keys seem to be the same size, so I could swap them if there's no other way.

SbM, Aug 15, 2008
  2. stevejobs

bingggo

Hi folks, how stable are you finding your OS X installs? I was thinking of doing it on one and giving it to my parents, but not if it often needs maintenance in the terminal etc :)

bingggo, Aug 16, 2008
  3. stevejobs

rory

one crashes a fair bit, the other is fine. I think it's a problem with my external hdd rather than the device/os. The one on ssd is slower but no crashes.
    Rory

rory, Aug 16, 2008
  4. stevejobs

SbM

Well I can't say I've pushed it to the limits, but I've been browsing in Safari for some time with it and it never crashed, even while viewing YouTube videos.

SbM, Aug 16, 2008
  5. stevejobs

schmitzoide

Ok, new thing!

After many trials and instalations, my AA went kapput. Power light on, fans on, but no image, completly blank screen. Just after another normal reboot :roll: . Removed battery, tried (almoust) wverything, it simply doesn't get any image at all.

Have removed HDD and memory, still no luck. I guess I've stressed the unit out to the limit. Will try to put it all together as OTB and try my luck with the warranty.

Be warned, and it seems it is not only me with this problems (check the hardware section of this website's forums).

Marcel

schmitzoide, Aug 17, 2008
  6. stevejobs

rory

I went to PC World, and got an instant (well 5 minute) refund. They basically just tried turning it on, tried with plug, with and without battery and worked out it was broken.

Was probably a funny moment when they opened it up to find the SSD held down with sticky tape :d
    Rory

rory, Aug 17, 2008
  7. stevejobs

bingggo

Is installing Tiger going to be straightforward? Or is Leopard the only way to get this hackintosh working?

On a different topic, I installed Kalyway Leopard to an external USB and updated via Kalyway and Apple to 10.5.4 and it boots the Aspire One fine; but when I erased the SSD as Mac OS Extended Journalled (MBR) and restored the external USB to the SSD, the SSD won't boot - just sits there blinking at me. Any tips?

And finally, any tips on trimming Leopard down to size? I went through and found some things to delete: unwanted desktop photos, ichat .mov files, ATI and Geforce drivers, asian language dictionaries, but not sure if there are some other obvious large file candidates that aren't needed for day to day email/web/word use (eg. prokit files).

Cheers! B

bingggo, Aug 18, 2008
  8. stevejobs

SbM

I don't have a Tiger .iso here so I can't say really, but I'd really like to know too... If Tiger works fine, it might well be the ideal Mac OS X for such a little machine (especially with its stock 8GB SSD).

You might need to use OSX86Tools (Google for it) to install the EFI on your drive and make it bootable.

What I'd like to know is : can we get the Darwin kernel sources somewhere and compile a new, streamlined kernel for the One? I guess not, but who knows?...

SbM, Aug 18, 2008
  9. stevejobs

bingggo

Are there any ways to speed Leopard up a bit on the SSD? The sluggishness isn't that noticeable in Safari, Skype (altho when Skyping with my MBP, the AAO was transmitting video with a .5-1s lag)..

...but fire up Word or something and it can get uncomfortably sluggish. Would 1gb or 1.5gb make a big difference? One sluggish area is the open file dialogue, as it sorts through folders and previews files, so guess RAM wouldn't necessarily help there.

Cheers. B

bingggo, Aug 18, 2008
  10. stevejobs

SbM

Well, installing Leopard on the SSD might not be such a good idea. The Aspire One's SSD is too slow and too small. I'd suggest installing an internal 1,8" drive, which is what I plan to do in the near future.

SbM, Aug 18, 2008
  11. stevejobs

ryusamus

I installed it on the SSD and found that disabling journaling helped a lot. Just go to disk utility, click your drive, hold alt and choose disable journaling from the file menu

ryusamus, Aug 18, 2008
  12. stevejobs

SbM

Since sound output doesn't automatically switch to headphones when you plug 'em in, this "Sound Source" utility comes in handy: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/
    It installs a "menu extra" item in the menu bar that lets you select which output to use.

SbM, Aug 19, 2008
  13. stevejobs

ViRAL

In fact, this key is just not recognized by OSX. As I haven't found how to get it recognized, I mapped it to the upper "2".

The keys are just clipped on the real buttons underneath by two or three plastic clips. All you have to do is to catch the key with two fingers, and to pull it in its natural axis. It resists a little, but comes very easily after.

ViRAL, Aug 19, 2008
  14. stevejobs

SbM

I've just found a fix for this : check my "iATKOS" thread.

EDIT : I also modified your layout a bit, to make sure the "<>" were mapped and to correct the "Ø" key.

SbM, Aug 19, 2008
  15. stevejobs

ViRAL

Well done, it works perfectly ! Thanks.
    To suit my needs, I'll try to map @ in place of upper "2", since the latter is almost useless for me ....

I've also installed the Realtek driver, and managed to connect via Ethernet (the first time I had the web on the AOne since I installed OSX !).

ViRAL, Aug 20, 2008
  16. stevejobs

SbM

Not a bad idea at all. I think I'll do the same, because having "@" there on a real Mac keyboard is soooooo convenient.

The benefit of the Realtek driver, as opposed to Paul's R1000 "generic" extension, is that you can unplug/plug back the cable and the One notices what you've done. With the R1000.kext, if the cable isn't connected when you boot the machine, you have to restart the computer :(

SbM, Aug 20, 2008
  17. stevejobs

bingggo

bingggo, Aug 21, 2008
  18. stevejobs

SbM

I'll try it tonight, if noone else has. No time to do that just now, sorry... Stay tuned!

SbM, Aug 21, 2008
  19. stevejobs

bingggo

Looks like their process started with the installation installing some broadcom package, and then the Ralink package (reading between the lines).

bingggo, Aug 21, 2008
  20. stevejobs

SbM

What Broadcom package? Can you point me to this?

Anyway I tried to install the driver, but no dice. Mac OS X doesn't "see" the card. (Of course I tried rebooting to Ubuntu to check that the card was on.)

SbM, Aug 21, 2008
Ask a Question