OSX

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by stevejobs, Jul 12, 2008.

1. stevejobs

lotus49

Yes, we know it will (see webdude12's post above for example) but there are bound to be problems with the wireless card. I have lots of experience of doing this on other non-Apple hardware and, as with lots of other OSs, it's the wireless card that is the biggest problem. However, unlike other OSs, OSX is not supposed to support our hardware so it is always going to be more difficult, but I do know that OSX does support some USB wireless adapters so that would be one option.

I still don't have mine yet, so I cannot be much direct help at the minute, but it is worth posting on osx86project.org where there is a lot of knowledge and experience of hacking OSX onto non-Apple hardware.

lotus49, Jul 16, 2008
  2. stevejobs

Flaterik

Really good. When i have some time i try with my Aspire one. I need more than 512 mb of ram? I upgrade some Aspire One at the shop but not my One because i wan't to use linux. But if OSx need more ram, i do the upgrade

Flaterik, Jul 16, 2008
  3. stevejobs

Flaterik

The King has just open the Thread. He See us , he was the big eye of the Big Brother . See everything and heard everything.
    Thanks a lot !

Flaterik, Jul 16, 2008
  4. stevejobs

lotus49

Indeed ;). We get quality service on this site.

lotus49, Jul 16, 2008
  5. stevejobs

webdude12

The wireless card does have drivers for OSX. Its just gonna take some tinkering to get them to work. This is an older chipset, so the OSX community has figured out the drivers. But installing these drivers directly do not work, so that tells me there are other things missing.

Unfortunately OSX isnt like windows. I cant click on hardware, and see what needs drivers... :-(

webdude12, Jul 16, 2008
  6. stevejobs

techie

The Kalyway DVD works fine...how I got it to work (for those without an external dvd).

Step1. Boot Kalyway on some PC with a DVD...choose to install to USB Drive / Key. You can choose "Customize" to pick install options

Step 2. Boot Aspire with USB Driver / Key. Slow but this is where you can test that the options worked...if not satisfied...return to Step 1.

Step 3. Once satisfied use the disk utility to "Restore" the USB Drive/Key to the SSD

Step 4. Boot from SSD. Performance is acceptable.

techie, Jul 16, 2008
  7. stevejobs

jtuckn

Hello everyone,

I've spent a whole day trying to get OS X working, and I just gave up. Here's what I found out.

First try, I installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 with most default options present (including audio en video drivers). As Webdude12 mentioned, the sleep kernel works best.

Install took forever on the stock Aspire One with 512mb and 8gb SSD. After a restart OS X loaded fine, but was DEAD SLOW. In part because the first time you boot, Spotlight indexes the drive, so the first 30-45 mins the SSD is under constant load. Once again, OS X is unworkable like this. Video is stuck at 800x600 (even with the Kalyway GMA950 selected during install), no sound, webcam DOES work, as does ethernet, though.

I tried to install the MSI Wind drivers and kexts, but they did not work after a reboot, probably because I had not applied the 10.5.3 combo update. So I reinstalled OS X. It took several tries to get it right again, vanilla kernel really does not work, and after following the MSI Wind instructions, the ethernet stopped working as well, so I suggest you keep the default network options. Two hints: if you get constant reboots without the GUI, you've selected the wrong kernel (probably SSE3 only) and if initial personal info wizard constantly starts over after selecting to not transfer old settings from a Mac, it's because you've prematurely disconnected the external drive with Kalyway's DVD in it. (At least, that was it for me)

Anyway, had OS X up and running again, and tried to install the combo update 10.5.3 first, BUT it required 1.6gb free space, and after OS X install I had only 1gb left. So I could not run it at all. Tried Monolingual, but that only stripped a few hundred MB, so I had no way of installing the combo update and basically gave up.

I'm going to return the Aspire One, if the store will take it back, otherwise I have two Aspire One's for sale (one unopened) and the other only 8 hours out of the box if there are any takers...

I hope Webdude12 has more success with the ZIF 1.8" drive, and I will be following the developments on this forum closely, because I prefer the Aspire's nice keyboard and size to the other netbooks. I hope this info will help some of you. Like Webdude12, I do have several hackintoshes running, so if you have any questions, let me know.

Good luck, everyone!

jtuckn, Jul 16, 2008
  8. stevejobs

jtuckn

I had this on the third try installing OS X, after following the Wind instructions specifying a vanilla kernel. No good, only the sleep kernel works effectively. If you don't want to reinstall, you CAN boot into single user mode (press F8 at boot time, and type "-s", then follow the onscreen instructions to mount the filesystem) and simply replace the mach_kernel file with sleep_kernel (I don't remember the exact name) by renaming "mach_kernel" to "mach_kernel_old" and then renaming "sleep_kernel" to "mach_kernel" -- this should do the trick.

PS. Rename with the following command:

Code:
    mv mach_kernel mach_kernel_old

jtuckn, Jul 16, 2008
  9. stevejobs

lotus49

What, just because it won't run OSX? You're a hard man to please ;) .

lotus49, Jul 16, 2008
  10. stevejobs

jtuckn

Hahaha, well, I run OS X on all my machines, two of which are currently hackintoshes. I'd might consider a Debian distribution like Ubuntu, but the WAF of OS X is much, much higher. ;o)

jtuckn, Jul 16, 2008
  11. stevejobs

lotus49

I am also a great fan of OSX. Since first running a Hackintosh almost two years ago I've bought a Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, MacBook (for my wife and it does indeed have a better WAF than the competition) and an iPhone.

Having said that, I have always been a Unix man and I run Ubuntu and Debian on several other machines. Ubuntu really is very good these days, you should try it.

lotus49, Jul 17, 2008
  12. stevejobs

jeromlenz

Hi, I could complete the steps 1. and 2.
    Following the instructions for the MSI Wind, http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=&show ... t&p=902176

1.a Installation from DVD Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2 on a Pentium4D PC with DVD directly into the 8gb USB-stick formated as 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'.
    (Only first boot option: cpus=1, selected all default drivers and packages/no restriction and the "Mac" was recognized as an Intel Core Solo.
    Note that it didn't work on a Asus Core2Duo laptop at first try - frozen screen when loading Apple ACPI driver.)
    Install time = 1h30'
    1.b Booted on the desktop PC and completed the registration and first boot. Memory left on usb stick = less than 1gb. (30')
    1.c Disabled Spotlight indexing.

2.a Booted on the AspireOne with the USB stick (Boot time=4' and the system is quite slow with 800*600res but hey...it worked!)
    2.b Installed "Macaroni" maintenance program to clean-up the localization files - Final free space = 1.7gb (Just enough to perform the 10.5.3 udpate!) :p
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16593
    2.c Ran '1_Kalyway_UpdCombo10.5.3.pkg' without final reboot. (Note than the drive always keep a minimum of 1.03gb left so there's some margin left)
    2.d Ran '2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel.pkg' *without* selecting any new kernel (no 'vanilla_kernel_9.3' as advised in a previous post)
    2.e Rebooted several times with parameters "update -v cpus=1 sleepkernel" and "-x" (1h, 1.32gb available after install)
    2.f Installed the official update 'MacOSXUpd10.5.4.dmg' from Apple http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1054update.html (30' 1.07gb available)
    2.g Rebooted in loop (had to try "update -v -f -y -x cpus=1 sleepkernel" to make it go through - don't ask me why!?... ;) (1.27gb left)
    2.h Installed all kext files from Paul (as advised for MSI Wind, http://content.modaco.net/paulswinddriv ... typack.zip - AzaliaAudio didn't work though, asking for 10.5.3_kalyway disk...)
    2.i Rebooted in loop ("update -v -f -y -x cpus=1" needed again...) & Enjoyed the (HD) view now in 1024*600!
    2.j Ran again Macaroni to free some space - final 1.19gb left on 8gb USB stick.

Before keeping OS-X and transferring data from USB stick to the SSD drive (steps 3. & 4.), I'll look for some wifi drivers and sound - if they come up one day?
    Maybe also worth investigating Tiger 10.4.10 (Kalyway) instead and another main drive Zif2CF with a fast 16gb CompactFlash card as alternative to the slow SSD...

Conclusion : stock Linux Acer Aspire One 512mb SSD 8gb IS RUNNING Mac OSX Leopard !!! :mrgreen:
    (Even if it would require some stronger hardware for a better experience compared to more expensive MSI Wind - Many thanks to all of you and Paul for the 48 steps procedure and setup files.)
    Keep'in touch! Cheers. :cool:

PS: well, I have to indicate "update -v -f -y -x cpus=1 sleepkernel" every time I boot (other wise it is rebooting in loop...)
    Any way to solve that?... Getting there...

jeromlenz, Jul 18, 2008
  13. stevejobs

2manydjs

Hi thanks for the detailed update!

Could you tell us what the boot time is right now? Also the USB stick might be (even ;) ) slower than the SSD, so there would be some improvement there..
    Tiger seems indeed a good idea, as it's smaller and faster on less powerful machines (I know from experience running on a G4). Tiger is also quite satisfied with 512MB RAM, while it's the minimum for Leopard. I've had 10.4.8 JAS in my download list for a couple of days, but still isn't fully downloaded.

To save some space, you might want to look into mounting the user folders from a SD card.
    [update]
    Here is a how-to: http://chris.pirillo.com/2008/02/06/how ... x-and-why/

2manydjs, Jul 18, 2008
  14. stevejobs

jeromlenz

Ok thanks for the tip with SD card.
    Boot time is about a full 5 minutes (USB indeed).

Tried to get rid of the booting annoyances.
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=66&start=20#p873
    F8+"s" and "mv sleepkernel mach_kernel" gives better results - but still not perfect... Well I only have to put "cpus=1" now...
    C'mon kitty Leopard, be gentle! :twisted:

Also after pluging LAN to load latest Apple Updates (no need anyway for the updates as it's only Quicktime, iTunes and Airport)...
    It works fine after detecting LAN interface in System Preferences.
    Well, enough for tonight.
    L8er dudes!

Some tips for the sound here and there I'll try next (Intel HD on the A1)...
    http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... 018&st=300
    http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36520

jeromlenz, Jul 18, 2008
  15. stevejobs

2manydjs

5 mins is damn slow...
    Hopefully your USB stick is the cause of this, but I'm afraid I would need to replace the SSD before using OS X as main OS on the One.

2manydjs, Jul 18, 2008
  16. stevejobs

pivy

Hi guys I'm new here! I'm trying to install osx on my aspire one from an external dvd-rom but with all distros that I have it hungs at "BSD root..." and I really don't know why!

please help me!!

pivy, Jul 18, 2008
  17. stevejobs

jeromlenz

Did you try these boot options '-x cpus=1 sleepkernel' ?
    (maybe with quotes "sleepkernel" even better - not sure - those instuctions are for Kalyway 10.5.2)

Is it during the first boot with the DVD? (Do you have another PC to try booting the DVD + install on USB first?)

It certainly hangs a certain number of times before having a working OSX!...

jeromlenz, Jul 18, 2008
  18. stevejobs

pivy

thank you i will try later because now i have a VERY VERY big problem: both recovery usb or cd don't work, they hung before selecting partition......but this is off topic

pivy, Jul 18, 2008
  19. stevejobs

amf5

I have OS X 10.5.4 working quite well on my Aspire One. I even installed it to the SSD, and have about 1GB of space free (and I haven't run Monolingual or anything to cut the install size down, either). The only things that don't work, as mentioned previously, are wireless and sound. Performance really isn't too bad, boot time is around a minute using the SSD. Does anyone know if it's possible to use the integrated wireless card? I really don't feel like ripping this thing apart just to get wireless just yet (ethernet works just fine for the time being).

amf5, Jul 20, 2008
  20. stevejobs

elpresidente

patiently watching this thread...

elpresidente, Jul 20, 2008
Ask a Question