OSX

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by stevejobs, Jul 12, 2008.

1. stevejobs

webdude12

One note on the MSI Wind OSX install. When you get to customize, uncheck the Kernel. This will make sure you have the latest kernel installed. The checked one, is an old one, however they have included the latest one on the disk, and it will auto-install it, if you uncheck the one thats there.

webdude12, Jul 23, 2008
  2. stevejobs

stevejobs

I might have a different machine from you all ;-) Or I am doing something basically wrong.

I could never make it to go into sleep: it either tries and reboots (vanilla kernels) or freezes showing the 4 languages "You need to restart..." pop-up. Tried both kalyway 10.5.2+10.5.3combos and MSIWind slipstream dist.

About kernels: with the vanilla kernel I need to put cpus=1 otherwise it reboots in a loop, with sleep kernels usb doesn't work properly, usually it doesn't even recognize anything I plug in unless it boot with it already inserted.

Are there any bios upgrades?

Thx

stevejobs, Jul 24, 2008
  3. stevejobs

ruckus

This is a great thread. But I'd love someone to do a step by step with screen shots etc, and have it stickied to this forum. I have seen a couple different methods talked about, i really like the one where you install to an external harddrive and then restore from that drive to the AspireOne.

I don't have my AspireOne yet, I'm holding out for the harddrive model. Otherwise I'd just work from this thread. I just know for me, and many other people, if there were a formal instructions thread available it'll make it much easier to come back for reference in the future.

Just a suggestion :p Thanks everyone for the great posts!

ruckus, Jul 24, 2008
  4. stevejobs

webdude12

There really isnt enough progress yet to do a step by step. I am still waiting on my new ZIF cable, so I can play. :)

webdude12, Jul 25, 2008
  5. stevejobs

stiopa

the pirate bay MSIWindowsosx86.iso status stalled after 1.55 GB that makes me sick ;/

stiopa, Jul 25, 2008
  6. stevejobs

Coco

For Sound, you need install ALC268Installer and/or TarugaACL268Installer5. It works. But I am not sure the headphone jack is working ( maybe not I guess, but buy a USB audio adapter on Ebay ( $5 shipped). This is posted in Mobile01 forums. For WiFi, just swamp with dell 1490 or dell 1500n wifi card.

Coco, Jul 27, 2008
  7. stevejobs

gaz123

Hey all
    I was wondering wether using this method you will be able to actually use the Mac software update tool
    I have a Macbook and i am thinking of getting one of these little machines as well.
    It would be really annoying to have to do a full reinstallation whenever a bug fix was launched for OSX (which is quite often)
    Also what is the media playback like and could i use Harmon Kadon Soundsitcks with the device (the original USB ones).?

I really appreciate any help that you can give me
    Thanks in advance

P.S. Dont Hate if some of these questions have been answered already. :)

gaz123, Jul 28, 2008
  8. stevejobs

Reamers

Hi Guys,

First of all thanks for all the info so far.
    So far my progress has been as follows:
    - Install the MSI wind build with the default kernel checked - boots fine, but dodgy USB support (USB works if plugged in before bootup but does not hotswap)
    - Reinstall with the kernel unchecked - installed the later kernel version & USB works fine but causes a booting loop.

to fix the booting loop: (Thanks to Hecker from InsanelyMac)
    -Edit the boot file in terminal (sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist)
    -Change the line under Kernel Flags that says <string></string> to <string>CPUS=1</string>
    -Save the file
    -Fix the permissions like this
    sudo chown root /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
    sudo chmod 644 /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
    -reboot and you should be good to go.

Reamers, Jul 29, 2008
  9. stevejobs

Reamers

I can confirm that ALC268_Installer2 (from the ALC268FIX file that is around) works with Headphones and Internal speakers.

Now I just need WiFi :)

Reamers, Jul 29, 2008
  10. stevejobs

webdude12

Remember Wifi and USB support has to deal with the Acer Bios and PCI Bus. Its taking forever for my ZIF cable to get to me from Hong Kong, that and it doesnt help the guy didnt ship it for 5 days after I did the buy it now ebay auction, so it looks like its going to be atleast another week before I can play. :)

webdude12, Jul 29, 2008
  11. stevejobs

stevejobs

Hi,

Is sleep/resume working with you?

Cheers

stevejobs, Jul 29, 2008
  12. stevejobs

rory

That's why I paid extra to get UK ones. Had loads of trouble getting stuff from HK before, but then other things from there have come in 2 days. Got to be lucky I guess.
    Got my drive, just waiting for the cable like you.
    Back on topic:
    Will partitioning the 80GB into 3 parts slow it down when it comes to the OS's? I'm going to probably have 20GB Vista, 20GB Leopard, 40GB files.
    Will I have problems installing? I had to lose a whole drive to install Leopard on my Hackintosh, the installer wouldn't format a partition, only drives, stupid thing...
    And, as a Linux and OS X noob, can you recompile the linux WLAN drivers for OS X. I think someone suggested it then went on holiday, so I was just wondering if anyone followed up on it... (I do know that OS X is based on the same architecture as Linux by the way, I'm not that much of a noob)
    Rory

rory, Jul 30, 2008
  13. stevejobs

stevejobs

Hi all,

Something I found out at insanely was this EHCISleepEnabler extension (http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html) which now allows the machine to enter sleep. However it does not wake up afterwards, so I'll keep my research ;-)

Cheers

stevejobs, Jul 30, 2008
  14. stevejobs

ryusamus

Thanks to Reamers for the great summary - It helped me out greatly.

Here is my own summary of installing Leopard on my Aspire one:

1. I created a USB flash boot disk using my Hackingtosh desktop. This was done by restoring the MSIWINDosx86 release onto a 8 gb USB flash drive (using Disk Utility) and then making it bootable using OSXtools. (1hr)
    2. I booted the Aspire One to the USB drive and installed leopard on to the SSD drive. I unchecked the kernel selection before installing, which makes the installer use the default kernel. (1/2 hr)
    3. After the install was finished it restarted but went into an infinite boot loop (this was expected). I hit enter to display the boot option menu and typed "cpus=1" (without quotes), which allowed the aspire one to boot leopard for the first time - woot! (10 min)
    4. After setup and registration I enabled root user and then opened terminal. I logged in as root (su root) and then edited /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist so that the <string></string> was changed to <string>cpus=1</string>. I then fixed permissions by entering "sudo chown root /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" and "sudo chmod 644 /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist".
    5. Rebooted and no more infinite loop

Impressions:
    Performance wasn't the greatest at first. It took quite a long time to boot up the first few times but now it boots up much faster and overall performance is better than expected. There is still some occasional pausing when opening menus but it's no worse than xp. I had previously installed an extra 1gb of Ram (total 1.5gb) and I plan to move the user folders to my other drives to improve performance even more.

Working:
    Webcam
    Graphics

Currently not working:
    Sleep
    SD card drives
    Sound
    Wifi

I am working on the fixes for sound and wifi (using the Belkin F5D8053 usb) but the SD card puzzles me. Neither slot is recognized.

Does anyone have the drivers for the SD cards or know how I might fix it?

I'm going to try the EHCISleepEnabler extension (http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html) to fix the sleep issue.

ryusamus, Jul 30, 2008
  15. stevejobs

Reamers

Sleep/resume isn't working for me yet.

I also did the ipod hard drive hack and added another gb - not for the faint of heart.
    I managed to wreck my zif cable and had to go at it with a pair of scissors to get it working again. :)

Reamers, Jul 31, 2008
  16. stevejobs

stevejobs

Ughhh... sorry to learn that.

I am running out of ideas right now regardin sleep/resume and the card readers. I cannot figure out what's happening on wake-up, the machine always reboots. I already tried to isolate the culprit by removing the device drivers I could one by one (no usb, no ps2, no sound, etc) but no luck. No where I could find a way to debug the thing so I don't have a clue of what is going on.

About the card readers, I don't know what is trying to drive them. I get a "new" icon on the menu bar that apparently recognizes the four card readers (yes, four: sd+ms+xd and sd) but can't do much with wit.

Still researching and rebooting... ;-)

stevejobs, Jul 31, 2008
  17. stevejobs

schmitzoide

Hi everyone,

I am another fan of Mac OSX and a owner of a Aspire One, the model with the SSD disk and 512 MB (shame on me).
    I have tried successfully to install Mac OSX on a regular PC (Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1,5TB hard disks, ATI HD 3870 1GB DDR4, etc) so I have some experience in this matter. My questions rely more on this model specifically, which are:

- did you manage to install a 1.8'' Hard Disk on the SSD model?
    - did you manage to upgrade de RAM (it is solded to the board, right?)
    - did you manage to RAID 0 the SSD with de SDHC card at bios (stupid question, it seems) or software-wise, or otherwise?
    - (not that is belongs to this forum in particular, but) did anyone managed to get a 3G UMTS modem for this model?

I am downloading Kalyway's various releases (10.4.8, 10.4.10, 1.5.2) and MSIWindowsx86 and will give a try with all the solutions presented at this forum. Will post back with some results.

Thanks in advance!

Marcel

schmitzoide, Aug 1, 2008
  18. stevejobs

stevejobs

Yup, check photos in this thread.

No! There's 512MB soldered and a empty slot waiting for a 1GB stick.

Using sw yes, check the thread.

stevejobs, Aug 1, 2008
  19. stevejobs

schmitzoide

How did you install the HD? By removing the SSD, is there any free space for the 1,8'' HD? Did you have to do any breaking or altering of any kind or was there simply free space?

schmitzoide, Aug 1, 2008
  20. stevejobs

schmitzoide

Ok. Will give a try with a HD of a old broken Sony TX1 laptop.

Will install one than.

I though I red somewhere that the SDHC slot card isn't installed in Mac OSX. Will give a try, too.

Thank you!

schmitzoide, Aug 1, 2008
Ask a Question