OSX

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by stevejobs, Jul 12, 2008.

1. stevejobs

daryl425

Yeah, I was suspecting that, but hoping I was wrong too ;)

daryl425, Aug 5, 2008
  2. stevejobs

noda

I was wondering, has anyone asked Kabyl (from insanelymac forums) to mod the A1 bios to maybe fix the wifi card/sleep issues?

http://osrom.net/biosmod/

He has already fixed asus 1000h/901 bios (and many other), and as the wifi card in the A1 has a chipset theorically supported by OSX it may work if the bios is modded properly.

noda, Aug 6, 2008
  3. stevejobs

webdude12

Thats not a bad idea Noda. :)

webdude12, Aug 6, 2008
  4. stevejobs

2manydjs

Have you or anybody requested this? (so that we don't flood the guy with e-mails..)

2manydjs, Aug 7, 2008
  5. stevejobs

noda

No, as I don't have an aspire one, I won't be able to provide him specific information he may require, that's why I asked if someone did it ;) Since there's no modded bios for A1 on his website, I guess nobody has asked still.

noda, Aug 7, 2008
  6. stevejobs

rory

I asked for us all, maybe if he does do it successfully, it could be stickied, and have a donate button?
    Only a though if it actually works, and would have to be OK'ed by King first
    Rory

rory, Aug 7, 2008
  7. stevejobs

SbM

Thanks for asking him, let's see now what comes out of it...

SbM, Aug 7, 2008
  8. stevejobs

schmitzoide

Thanks Rory!

schmitzoide, Aug 7, 2008
  9. stevejobs

daryl425

Great, Thanks! Now who will be the sacrificial lamb :)

daryl425, Aug 7, 2008
  10. stevejobs

rory

I volunteered myself :)
    Rory

rory, Aug 7, 2008
  11. stevejobs

schmitzoide

Me, too. Rory, can you please say what is the model of your non-working Toshiba HDD? Just ordered one today.

schmitzoide, Aug 7, 2008
  12. stevejobs

rory

rory, Aug 7, 2008
  13. stevejobs

bingggo

Hi folks, glad to find this forum!

Very interested in running Tiger or Leopard on the Aspire One, as it is much cheaper than the MSI Wind etc in Australia - although modaco's guide to OS X on the Wind is tempting: full functionality except for default wifi card (and presumably sound is now fixed), and seems easier to disassemble and upgrade.

But back to the Aspire One: am I right from this thread that the current status of OS X is full functionality except:
    - wifi card (may need BIOS flash to be developed to work? or Dell 1490/1500 etc replacement?),
    - won't sleep (restarts on wake?),
    - USB only works if connected before boot?,
    - headphones/speakers/mic now working?

Is the 8gb SSD speed/capacity sufficient for emailing/browsing/word processing? My Powerbook G3/400 with 576mb is my benchmark for speed so I'm easily satisfied - although my Powerbook's running Tiger :)

Finally, would OS X support a mini-PCI 3g card? or has anyone had success using 3g phone over USB or bluetooth as a data modem?

Cheers! B

bingggo, Aug 8, 2008
  14. stevejobs

rory

No wifi for me, I think no card will work, its a bios problem. the one inside should work, but isn't detected.
    Proof of this, on my PC, i have a Belkin F5D7050 v400, a pretty common WLAN usb adapter. It was detected as a usb 2.0 WLAN device by system profiler, but couldn't work until I hacked some kexts.
    The one though, doesn't detect anything under PCI devices which the card in the one is, so needs to be hacked pretty deep down to make it work.
    Mine wont sleep at all, just the mouse disappears, but nothing else happens
    nope I can connect usb devices before after and during boot

ok, seeing as I reinstalled last night, just had another look at PCI cards in system profiler, and there are 4 but none have drivers installed, and all have device ID's and subsystem ID's ranging from 0x2381 to 0x2384 ...
    could well be the WLAN card, but why 4 devices with almost identical device ID's??

Will try music and update
    Rory

rory, Aug 8, 2008
  15. stevejobs

daryl425

I'm not sure if the BIOS is interfering with USB WLAN cards since I'm using an RALink USB WiFi dongle with RALink's own drivers w/o any manual hacking/kext mods.

As for the for PCI cards, I think someone on the net suspected they were the four different card readers for the One (storage expansion + 3 multi-card readers).

Finally, I think the laptop comes with a different revision of the Atheros card since I always see these two messages together in /var/log/system.log :
    Aug 8 09:45:42 localhost kernel[0]: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 13
    Aug 8 09:45:42 localhost kernel[0]: start [/SourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros542
    4/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-314.43.1/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:516] loaded
    unsuccessfully
    But maybe that always shows up on a Hackintosh :?:

I remember reading somewhere that HAL status 13 means the revision is unsupported/incompatible. So I'm not sure if the BIOS is interfering with the PCI-e WiFi card yet.

I do suspect that the BIOS needs to be fixed to get sleep working though.

daryl425, Aug 8, 2008
  16. stevejobs

stevejobs

Wifi:
    I've got wifi working perfectly with a mac mini atheros card (which, apart from the subsytem, is the same as the one that comes with my A1). Weird enough iis then that I cannot get it to work with linpus because of a HAL incompatibility.

USB: with the vanilla kernel it works flawlessly. with the sleep kernel it's very unreliable.

Card readers: Can't get them to work. However, as I reported early, I got an icon I've never seen before on the menubar which is related with the card readers for sure. I'll post a picture soon.

Sleep: I can always get the system to enter sleep. With the vanilla kernel it reboots on wake up. With sleep kernel I get the black-screeen-of-death.

Cheers

stevejobs, Aug 8, 2008
  17. stevejobs

bingggo

Hi Steve,

Sounds good - can you tell us more about the Mac mini wifi card - is it easy to install? does it have a particular part number?

When you say you can get the system to enter sleep, but it reboots on wakeup; do you mean it reboots OS X (losing whatever you were doing when it went to sleep)?

Cheers,
    B

bingggo, Aug 9, 2008
  18. stevejobs

stevejobs

Regarding the wifi card:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Unknown device 0086
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    Memory at 75200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Capabilities: [60] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable- Mask- TabSize=1
    Capabilities: [100] #168c
    Capabilities: [001] #1c16
    Capabilities: [470] #4a
    Capabilities: [101] #1c16
    Capabilities: [470] <chain looped>

or, with device ids:

03:00.0 0200: 168c:001c (rev 01)
    Subsystem: 106b:0086
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    Memory at 75200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Capabilities: [470] #4a
    Capabilities: [101] #1c16
    Capabilities: [470] <chain looped>

And the weird icon I get is this one:

stevejobs, Aug 9, 2008
  19. stevejobs

daryl425

Here's the lspci -n dump for the stock A1 Atheros:
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Unknown device e008
    Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 255
    Memory at <unassigned> (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]

The device IDs for both the SJ's Atheros and the stock A1 Atheros is identical, and is already listed in the kext. I'm pretty sure the driver is attempting to load because it found a matching device.
    I suspect that the wacky IRQ 255 on the A1 WiFi card is causing the problem here, but I don't know if that's just a fake setting, or it's being assigned by BIOS. but the fact that SJ can get another WiFi card to work is great news.

Edit:
    Forgot device ID from lspci -n
    03:00.0 0200: 168c:001c (rev 01)

daryl425, Aug 9, 2008
  20. stevejobs

chatoto

Has anyone tried what matthieu/ergosteur has done to solve the PCI problem and sleep?

chatoto, Aug 9, 2008
Ask a Question