OSX

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by stevejobs, Jul 12, 2008.

1. stevejobs

schmitzoide

schmitzoide, Aug 12, 2008
  2. stevejobs

ViRAL

Hello folks,

Regarding the first install without external DVD drive, this is what I've successfully done to install Kalyway 10.5.2 to my AOne :

1) Created a primary mac partition on my external USB hard drive using Disk Utilities on my iMac,
    2) Downloaded Kalyway ISO (every OSX installation ISO or DVD may work) and restored it on the newly created partition using Disk Utilities,
    3) Downloaded OSX86Tools and installed Chameleon EFI on this same partition (by clicking Install EFI/Run FDISK button in OSX86Tools),

So I had a bootable partition with OSX installer on it, the following is quite obvious :

4) Configured One's BIOS to boot on USB (F2 when booting, and changed it on the boot menu),
    5) Plugged USB disk and restarted the netbook.

That's all, the netbook started OSX installer and I followed the tutorials you can find everywhere about Kalyway.
    Just don't forget to use Disk Utility during install to format the SSD, or you won't see it in the proposed disks list.
    Hope it helps,

ViRAL, Aug 12, 2008
  3. stevejobs

SbM

Thanks! I was looking for "OSXTools" and not "OSX86Tools", which explains why I couldn't find it anywhere ;)

EDIT : My God I just realized I asked the very same question at the beginning of this thread... Must be getting old ;)

SbM, Aug 12, 2008
  4. stevejobs

daryl425

Nah, this doesn't seem to work. It looks to be based on the following topic in InsanelyMac:
    http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=59115&st=0&gopid=425923&#
    Still get the same loading failure.

At this point, it's very unlikely someone will figure out how this will be fixed, as there are other, much cheaper, alternatives than wasting someone's time writing a driver specific to this revision of Atheros5006EG to solve the WiFi issue. The main difference between these cards looks to be that accessing the card that came with the A1 seems to be completely different, as lspci shows the device to be sitting on IRQ 255. I've never heard of any device using IRQ 255. Many forums say this is a fake IRQ, and that the card really doesn't use IRQs. this is much different from stevejobs print out of lspci with his Airport card, assigning to some real IRQ between 15-20.

At this point, it seems to make more sense to help out trying to fix the sleep issue, since there are no alternatives to getting sleep working besides figuring out what's wrong with the BIOS/kernel. Unlike card readers and WiFi, where we can just spend a few bucks here and there to replace them.

daryl425, Aug 12, 2008
  5. stevejobs

smilespray

Seconded. I spent a *massive* $17 for a Dell replacement WiFi card from Hong Kong to Norway, postage included. :)

(Slightly off-topic: Why are internal card readers such a no-no in Mac OS X? I missed this whole discussion and have not seen a proper explanation. I thought most of these were connected to the USB bus and could be fixed via a simple driver. Of course, I see none of this in the System Profiler. So what's the deal?)

smilespray, Aug 12, 2008
  6. stevejobs

daryl425

The card readers are actually connected to the PCI bus. You can see them on the PCI section of System Profiler. You can also see them if you run lspci -v.

I was hoping someone would step up when I asked about some earlier posting claiming that the card slots work, but no luck there.

They're made by JMicron, and it's more likely we have to wait for them to release some drivers. They have done it in the past for their PATA controllers, but who knows what they'll do for their SD Host Controllers.

Well, I'm blown out of the water now. It looks like my A1 is toast. and just when I was about to restore back to Linpus on my SSD. But OS X does run really nicely on a 8GB Class 4 SDHC, so far. Maybe I'll try that SSD hack next.

daryl425, Aug 12, 2008
  7. stevejobs

SbM

Chamelion EFI didn't work for me, the drive would hang with a "boot1: startupfile" message. I had to install EFI_V8 instead (again with the Install EFI/Run FDISK button in OSX86Tools).

SbM, Aug 12, 2008
  8. stevejobs

schmitzoide

Chameleon EFI worked for me, strange...

9. stevejobs

SbM

Indeed. But I might be wrong. Here's what I've done:

1- Tried to use a GUID partition scheme and Chameleon EFI : hangs
    2- Then I thought "well, maybe I should use an MBR scheme instead", so I did that and installed Chameleon EFI again : hangs
    3- Then I tried to "Run FDISK" with OSX86Tools AND installed EFI_V8 : worked

So I don't really know if EFI_V8 OR the "Run FDISK" procedure did the trick. Well at least it works now ;)

SbM, Aug 12, 2008
  10. stevejobs

schmitzoide

Ok, good than. I have MBR, two partitions, HFS+ Journaled and NTFS :lol: in a MBR scheme, and ran Chameleon EFI with fdisk script.

11. stevejobs

schmitzoide

And are you able to capture sound through the mic? I did the same as you, got sound, but cannot activate de mic, altough an "internal speaker" appears in input devices... (internal speaker?)

Marcel

12. stevejobs

daryl425

no, I don't have mic working.

daryl425, Aug 13, 2008
  13. stevejobs

SbM

I'd just like to report... success !

[​IMG]

Now I need to change the wifi card, install the audio drivers and modify the keyboard layout for French. But everything else seems to work (except sleep). I'm SO happy ;)

SbM, Aug 13, 2008
  14. stevejobs

daryl425

Not to alarm anyone, but has anyone gotten SpeedStep to work here?
    my laptop got burnt, and I'm wondering if it's just a fluke, or was it because the CPU got too hot?
    The machine felt somewhat warmer than when it was running Linpus, probably because the Linpus ACPI drivers were made for this particular BIOS ACPI implementation, and I didn't do anything on OS X to get SpeedStep activated.

daryl425, Aug 13, 2008
  15. stevejobs

SbM

OK, audio drivers work fine, so cool.

Question : has any of you managed to set the trackpad preferences so that the right part can be used to scroll vertically ?

SbM, Aug 13, 2008
  16. stevejobs

smilespray

No, but somebody has been looking into two-finger scrolling:
    http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811

My Aspire One uses the fan constantly (slow speed) in OS X, whereas in Linpus it would start on demand. It does not feel any hotter under OS X.

What do you mean by "burnt"?

I've seen some SpeedStep work done over at InsanelyMac, but I haven't tried it myself.

smilespray, Aug 13, 2008
  17. stevejobs

schmitzoide

Did you tried out the mic? Does it work? If so, what did you install? I have sound, also, but no mic input.

Marcel

schmitzoide, Aug 13, 2008
  18. stevejobs

SbM

haven't tried the mic, only output (internal speakers and headphones)

SbM, Aug 13, 2008
  19. stevejobs

SbM

OK, the thing installs fine, but I still don't get scrolling. Will have to investigate the values in the .plist file. If any of you has had any success with this on the One, please share your findings!

SbM, Aug 13, 2008
  20. stevejobs

SbM

About the battery icon in the menu bar : I only get the icon with an "x" in it. When I click on it, it says the unit is running on battery but at the same time that no battery is connected (?), and the icon doesn't show the remaining power.

Have you managed to get it to work properly?

SbM, Aug 13, 2008
Ask a Question