OSX

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by stevejobs, Jul 12, 2008.

1. stevejobs

hongcho

So the headphone output works for you? Do you remember what you did to make that work?

Hong.

hongcho, Aug 13, 2008
  2. stevejobs

SbM

I downloaded the ALC268FIX (google for it), ran ALC268_Installer1, then ALC268_Installer2, then Kext Helper b7 to install the HDAEnabler.kext. Ran the HDA Fix v3 too (well, basically installed everything I could find in the archive ;)

Then I rebooted the machine and went to System Preferences, clicked on the Sound icon, and under the Output tab you can choose either Headphones or IntSpeakers.

SbM, Aug 13, 2008
  3. stevejobs

SbM

Have you checked this : http://www.coolbook.se/CoolBook.html

SbM, Aug 13, 2008
  4. stevejobs

daryl425

yup, installed it, but it doesn't seem to work. I don't have a scientific way to verify it.
    But it doesn't seem to cool the CPU down further, looking at CoolBook's console. and I keep getting an error trying to load a part of CoolBook's controller.
    It might have to do with the fact that when I run ioreg , the IOPlat value is MacbookAir, which coolbook doesn't support of the shelf. I did change one of the model names to MacBookAir in the CoolBook.kext though.

it seems we're hitting a wall on ACPI sleep/resume and card readers.

daryl425, Aug 13, 2008
  5. stevejobs

ViRAL

I have done almost the same (Installer1 then Installer2, but the latter may be enough), but following this tutorial : http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/ ... 96434.html

Working : internal speaker, headphones out and +/- hotkeys.
    Not working : internal mic, sound mute hotkey.
    Not tested : sound in jack.

Regarding the keyboard layout, I worked hard to produce this one, which is the french layout. Let me know if you have problems with it, it was very late when I finished it :| I also physically swapped home and left "Alt" keys, it is very easy to do (you just have to properly pull the keys). As "AltGr" key isn't recognized at all, I used the left "Alt" key (formerly "home" key on my keyboard) instead to map special characters.

I am still waiting for the wifi card I ordered, but some other problems remain :
    - no working speedstep or sleep,
    - battery icon won't show anymore in the menubar (it seemed to work the first time I got Kalyway installed, before installing any kexts),
    - no double finger scrolling.

Altogether, this little OSX notebook becomes nicer and nicer.

ViRAL, Aug 13, 2008
  6. stevejobs

SbM

Thanks a lot ! That'll save a lot of efforts.

That's an idea I've been toying with... Not sure I want to do this as I plan to keep a Xubuntu install along with my Mac OS X install. Still have to figure out how to make a double-boot, though.

It does ;)

BTW, may I ask where you purchased your wifi card ?

SbM, Aug 14, 2008
  7. stevejobs

rory

Got a Dell 1390 and workks perfectly.
    Now need to check sound, and I will have a perfect Macbook Mini
    Amazing!
    Rory

rory, Aug 14, 2008
  8. stevejobs

SbM

Anybody knows the difference between a 1390 and a 1490?

SbM, Aug 14, 2008
  9. stevejobs

schmitzoide

No mic yet, tried everything. Anyone with mic working? Tried all suggested methods in here.

Marcel

schmitzoide, Aug 14, 2008
  10. stevejobs

rory

I am pretty sure there's no difference. the 1490 isnt touted as having mimo or anything...
    Rory

rory, Aug 14, 2008
  11. stevejobs

ryusamus

Hey Rory - what about sleep (ie closing the lid and opening without having to restart)

Is that working for you? It's the only thing holding me back right now

ryusamus, Aug 14, 2008
  12. stevejobs

SbM

Doesn't work here :(

SbM, Aug 14, 2008
  13. stevejobs

schmitzoide

Doesn't work for me either. Is that the only thing holding you back? For me, I would trade that for the mic functionality... :cry:
    I have already managed to replace the WiFi card and SSD for a HDD from Toshiba, all good. The "only" thing that is bothering me right now is really the mic not working. Sound works great.

Marcel

schmitzoide, Aug 14, 2008
  14. stevejobs

daryl425

I talked to Kabyl, who does those BIOS mods on insanelymac, and it could help if someone can send him the DSDT dump from a Linux installation for the A1.
    But it doesn't sound too good at the moment , because, according to him, the BIOS is actually an EFI implementation by Insyde, that doesn't implement legacy BIOS, so he doesn't have the necessary tools to edit it directly. maybe he has another plan.
    I'd do it myself, but I don't my A1 anymore.

This is my personal opinion, so you may disagree, but sleep and speedstep is probably way more important on these mini books because of their low battery life and slower boot time, and you may be able to get away with using bluetooth audio instead if you need a mic. Unless you get one of those Transcend 300x SLC CF cards. someone manage to boot XP in 22 sec with it. I wouldn't care too much about sleep either if I only had to wait 22 sec for my OS to boot.

daryl425, Aug 14, 2008
  15. stevejobs

rory

Well wlan inbuilt is obviously driver problems, as a replacement card works perfectly.
    Sleep is not needed by me, and dont have linux installed, so can't help.
    Rory

rory, Aug 14, 2008
  16. stevejobs

SbM

Don't know what the DSDT is. And do you mean any Linux installation, or specifically the Linpus installation that the A1 ships with?

SbM, Aug 14, 2008
  17. stevejobs

ryusamus

I agree. My Leopard install takes 3 min to fully load and that''s way too long as a sleep replacement.

ryusamus, Aug 14, 2008
  18. stevejobs

SbM

Seems wired connection only works if the cable is connected at boot time. If I connect later, the One doesn't detect it. Has anyone noticed the same behaviour? How can I solve this?

SbM, Aug 15, 2008
  19. stevejobs

daryl425

I never got a chance to try this, but the LAN item on the "What's working" list in http://wind-osx86.wikispaces.com/ includes a fix to DHCP, but only for sleep. Maybe taking the same commands and placing it in /etc/rc.common (I think that's the name) will work to get DHCP working in general. Otherwise, the only way I was able to solve this was to manually remove and re-add the NIC interface. This somehow re-inits the interface.

I can't test any modification I'm proposing tho, because my A1 is in the shop.

daryl425, Aug 15, 2008
  20. stevejobs

SbM

Thanks, I'll try this. EDIT : hmm... doesn't seem to work :(

BTW, stumbled upon this : http://www.bernhard-baehr.de/ . To all the experts out there : might this "SleepWatcher" script help us solve the sleep/wake problems?

SbM, Aug 15, 2008
Ask a Question