Other distribution?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by starterz, Aug 2, 2008.

1. starterz

starterz

I am getting tired of all the restrictions to Linpus, and would like to install a full Linux distro. I use Ubuntu Hardy at work, have used Slackware and RH before...can anyone point to a well-known distro that works well on the One (supporting all the hardware etc.)? As I can see Ubuntu is still not there.

starterz, Aug 2, 2008
  2. starterz

ammoQ

You can use all Fedora Core 8 packages to make Linpus make what you want. Unless you like the tinkering with other distros, drivers etc., I strongly recommend to stay with Linpus and just use FC8 packages to fill the gaps.

ammoQ, Aug 2, 2008
  3. starterz

A_I

Agree. Less headache, actually you can make with this linpus whatever if you install additional packages which seems much easier than messing with drivers... :roll:

A_I, Aug 2, 2008
  4. starterz

Sid

Be aware the Acer Linpus distro is not the same as the kit on the Linpus website (in fact the Acer Linpus kit is not on the main Linpus website at all). I have no idea how much difference there is, but it is very likely that the standard Linpus kit will not be as hogtied as the Acer software. Hardware driver support will be an interesting point to check.

Main web site http://www.linpus.com/

The details on Linpus lite http://www.linpus.com/xampp/webmaster/P ... .4Lite.htm

Notice how you can easily switch between simple and advanced desktops..

Sid, Aug 2, 2008
  5. starterz

starterz

Thanks all. Linpus is functional, but I am having some problems even while using several well known FC8 repositories. For example, I was unable to install a GUI for rdesktop (mentioned in another post). What happens if I need more apps that are gnome dependent, and need the gnome-desktop package? The Linpus system refuses to install it, because of "conflicts" with the current xfce desktop. I wouldn't even mind to have a fully functional xfce, but this is not that either - many of the settings modules are missing. XP seems not far away, but I am still going to give Linpus or any other linux distro a chance. If someone would confirm that Slackware supports the hardware, I would go with it right away. It is also very easy on resources.

starterz, Aug 3, 2008
  6. starterz

within

what are these additional packages that will maake Linpus experience more smoother to get proper and working software installation?

right now, can't install aMSN or PidGin. Dependencies problem.

any clue and detailed info about the "magical" additional packages?

within, Aug 3, 2008
  7. starterz

qylvaran

Another vote of 'BS' here. Tried to compile and install dwm, but that won't fly without the development libraries, which are locked out because of the wrench that the '.acer' packages throw into rpm's gears. I would prefer not to go through driver setup and such with another distro, but I can't figure out how to get the functionality I want out of the default image.

qylvaran, Aug 3, 2008
  8. starterz

starterz

Exactly my point. That is why I am switching to XP for the time being - hopefully today, untill there is a verified full-fledged Linux (Ubuntu or other) I can install. Customizing an already customized Linpus is proving too much of a pain in the ass. Will be back with XP install notes. Stay well all.

starterz, Aug 4, 2008
  9. starterz

NoDestiny

So far, I have installed... (w/ 512MB ram)
    XP - Ran well except for occasional, and random, lag
    SLED10 - Had a lot of issues and didn't spend the time to resolve... mainly graphical issues... probably bad drivers
    Ubuntu HH - So far, ran the smoothest of non-linpus distros. Low battery seemed to make it a bit unstable though
    OpenSUSE 11 - Installing as I type this!

NoDestiny, Aug 4, 2008
  10. starterz

fuzz

For me, installing Ubuntu was less hassle than adding more to Linpus. (I'm good on windows but pretty much a n00b with linux). The instructions posted here (taken from the forums here) are easy enough to follow, all you need is a wired internet connection for a part.
    After a day or so of tweaking, and following other peoples guides I've got a Ubuntu system that's got all the apps I'm used to, and decent speed, boot time isn't as good as Linpus, but it's pretty quick.

fuzz, Aug 4, 2008
Ask a Question