Other distributions

Discussion in 'Linux' started by devent, Aug 13, 2008.

1. devent

devent

Hallo, I got my Aspire One two days ago and Linpus don't fill my needs, so I decided to install other Linux Distribution.
    I made a copy of the entire hdd so if enything goes wrong I can always get the backup.

I tested sidux linux (is a distribution based on Debian Sid) and it works super. As I can see all hardware is detected.
    But I wonder if OpenSuse11 can also detect all hardware.

As I can see the installation CD don't have the driver for the memory card reader. I installing it right now anyway and will see what hardware works.
    If anyone alrady tryed Suse11 that pls. post eny warnings/suggestions/tipps.

Have anyone tryed any other distributions? I like to hear what works and what don't.

devent, Aug 13, 2008
  2. devent

devent

Update: I switched to Sidux anyway, because I had problem on boot with OpenSuse11, don't know why.

Well, everything works, but it's better to install the latest kernel for nativ wlan-support. Don't know if you can download a seperate driver but with kernel 2.6.26.x you have wlan "out of the box".
    So if you don't like the GUI or Linpus is too restrictiv for you (i.e. problems with ssh/firefox 3.0) and you like a nice clean KDE enviroment, that you can just install Sidux Linux. :)

devent, Aug 13, 2008
  3. devent

jeremiah

Hey there!

I am planning on installing sidux as well. Right now I just have a chroot with debian sid on it but it does not see the network so I think I am just going to install debian over the linpus distro.

What resources did you use for your install? Do you have a link?

Thanks!

jeremiah, Aug 25, 2008
  4. devent

itres

sidux 2009-01 is out.

Grtz

itres, Feb 15, 2009
  5. devent

donec

Mandriva 2009 Gnome works great and only has 2 file modifications to get the sound and SD card readers working.

donec, Feb 15, 2009
Ask a Question