Out of box support comparison

Discussion in 'Linux' started by steven.chien, Apr 5, 2009.

1. steven.chien

steven.chien

Hi!

From what I saw on Fedora's web site, only SD card, WiFi LED, web cam, are not working, is that true, compare to mandriva which require more tweak?

steven.chien, Apr 5, 2009
  2. steven.chien

HappyHarry

that wiki needs updating as with an up to date F10 the only thing not working is the wireless indicator led, but the changes needed to make the led work have been submitted upstream by the ath5k guys so should be in the kernel sometime soon :)

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 6, 2009
  3. steven.chien

steven.chien

Thanks! compare to mandriva, which one's out of box support is better?

steven.chien, Apr 7, 2009
  4. steven.chien

RockDoctor

IMHO, they're equal. I just booted Mandriva One 2009.1.rc2 off a live USB stick. Had a card in the left slot. Card was properly recognized. Placed a second card in the right slot. Was not recognized. Executing
    Code:
    modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1
    as root enabled the right card reader. Wifi worked out of the box. Now, with Fedora 11 beta, the card slots both work out of the box, but you need to execute
    Code:
    rmmod acer_wni
    to allow wifi to function properly. Six of one, half a dozen of another if you ask me.

RockDoctor, Apr 7, 2009
  5. steven.chien

HappyHarry

but an up to date F10 requires no hacks at all, so wins on the hardware front, but imho that's not what to base a distro choice on, if i was you i would get a 2gb usb stick and try a few of the live versions of the distros and see what you like for yourself :)

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 7, 2009
  6. steven.chien

HappyHarry

have you tried booting without any card in either slot and then checked the hotplugging?

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 7, 2009
  7. steven.chien

RockDoctor

Testing it now. Inserted 1st card into left slot - it was recognized. Will reboot and insert 1st card into right slot. Result: no recognition of card in right slot.

So there you have it folks - a simple comparison of the latest from Fedora and Mandriva.

I must say, Mandriva has a clear win on one point - an iso file that's also a bootable usb stick image is slick. Goodbye livecd-iso-to-disk and unetbootin. This is the future.

RockDoctor, Apr 7, 2009
  8. steven.chien

donec

You mean the USB stick you can buy? Or do you mean there is a downloadable iso that can be put on a USB stick without using unbootin?

donec, Apr 8, 2009
  9. steven.chien

steven.chien

no, the latest mandriva(rc2, still in bata), is designed to be put in to the usb and CD, so you can run a command to put the linux into you USB disk!

steven.chien, Apr 8, 2009
  10. steven.chien

RockDoctor

The latter. Download the iso, then
    Code:
    dd if=the-iso, of=/dev/usb-stick bs=8M
    . All distros should do this!

RockDoctor, Apr 8, 2009
  11. steven.chien

HappyHarry

very cool, i'm going to have to look into how they are doing this as it is definately an improvement over the current methods! :cool:

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 8, 2009
  12. steven.chien

djtilko

Yes I can vouch for the easy usb method I just installed rc2 to a usb stick and it works great doesnt take too long either! I am using Mandriva rc2 on a Toshiba laptop at the moment and it is running really nice but it is slow to load up takes about a minute, once up and running though its pretty quick.

I am experimenting with an install onto the aa1 because I want to use KDE 4.2 and need to get used to it. However on the aa1 it is much slower to load up and updating it is taking a long time, will give it a whirl when it finally finishes updating.

djtilko, Apr 10, 2009
  13. steven.chien

donec

I tried to find this version and it seems they have progressed beyond it and I can't find it any where. So the question is will the new Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-CD1.i586 also referred to as Codename Sophie work on a USB the same way with the same commands?

donec, Apr 10, 2009
  14. steven.chien

RockDoctor

RockDoctor, Apr 10, 2009
  15. steven.chien

donec

Thanks, I feel stupid but which one of the many versions is the USB version and are the versions from Europe in English as there are no USA versions listed there?

donec, Apr 11, 2009
  16. steven.chien

RockDoctor

I think they're all dual-media versions. I figured Europe was close enough; I'm using
    mandriva-linux-one-2009.1-rc2-GNOME-europe-cdrom-i586.iso

RockDoctor, Apr 11, 2009
  17. steven.chien

donec

I tried copy and paste of
    Code:
    dd if=the-iso, of=/dev/usb-stick bs=8M
    and got dd: opening `the-iso,': No such file or directory. Then I changed the code to
    Code:
    dd if=mandriva-linux-one-2009.1-rc2-GNOME-europe-cdrom-i586.iso, of=/media/disk-2 bs=8M
    and got dd: opening `mandriva-linux-one-2009.1-rc2-GNOME-europe-cdrom-i586.iso,': No such file or directory. Any idea what I am doing wrong? I am working with-in Mandriva 2009 Gnome. I tried with the terminal in the directory of the iso file and the directory of the USB stick. I also tried as user and as root same results every time.

donec, Apr 12, 2009
  18. steven.chien

itres

Hi,

1. Are you running this from the location where the iso is??
    2. I think you should use the device in the of option not the mount point but I might be wrong.

Grtz

itres, Apr 12, 2009
  19. steven.chien

RockDoctor

a. You may need to be root to do this
    b. You've got to use the full path name of the iso file unless you execute the command the directory in which the iso file is located
    c. The device to which you're copying the file should be unmounted, and you should use the /dev/sdx notation. Often it will be /dev/sdb, but verify before you copy.

The following is what I used (as user root; /root/Download contained the iso file and was the working directory for my terminal session):
    Code:
    ~/Download# dd if=mandriva-linux-one-2009.1-rc2-GNOME-europe-cdrom-i586.iso, of=/dev/sdb bs=8M

RockDoctor, Apr 12, 2009
  20. steven.chien

donec

I put a copy of mandriva-linux-one-2009.1-rc2-GNOME-europe-cdrom-i586.iso in my root/download directory. I logged into root and opened terminal and changed directory to root/download and since, under Mandriva's Configure your Computer under local disk the 4 Gb USB disk shows as sdb so I tried
    Code:
    dd if=mandriva-linux-one-2009.1-rc2-GNOME-europe-cdrom-i586.iso, of=/dev/sdb bs=8M
    I also tried
    Code:
    dd if=mandriva-linux-one-2009.1-rc2-GNOME-europe-cdrom-i586.iso, of=/media/disk bs=8M
    since the file browser list the USB as /media/disk. I got No such file or directory again.

donec, Apr 12, 2009
Ask a Question