Overall Decent Experience with Acer Repair.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Acreo Aeneas, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Acreo Aeneas

Acreo Aeneas

I just wanted to jot down my own experience with Acer Repair.

I sent my AAO150-1049 netbook in about 4 weeks ago for a fan repair/replacement. I basically started getting a unusually loud fan (buzzing, loud) after a few minutes from a cold start a wee before I sent it in for repairs. I read several posts on this forum as well as others and determined that I needed to send it in for repairs.

I called Acer (spent 20 minutes looking for their toll-free number on their poorly laid out website) and spoke with a "Josh". After spending about 20 minutes running through some basic procedures that is supposed to fix this problem but didn't, I was issued a SRN (Service Repair Number...aka RMA #).

I paid $11 and shipped it via USPS Priority Mail to their Texas Repair Center. About two weeks later I got it back (shipped via FedEx ground). The note said they replaced the fan and thermal heatsink. I saw no scratches or damages. I did however notice a foul stench coming from the exhaust vent. My dad took a whiff and he made a comment: "Whoever fixed your computer probably didn't wash his hands very well." The first thought that came to my mind was: "Wait...this machine was sent off to some sweatshop for repairs?" Of course that makes no sense since I sent it to the "Texas Repair" center.

The loud buzzing noise is mostly gone. I've had it back for about a week now. I still hear a buzzing sound from the fan, but it may be due to the high CPU temperature of 71 C right now (fan revving up to full throttle?). Ironically if I tilt the netbook onto its side, the high throttle buzzing noise disappears completely.

Overall, I had a decent experience with Acer's Repair and customer service.

The faults I find on my AAO are a whole other matter. I wish I had gone with a ASUS or MSI netbook instead now.

Acreo Aeneas, Feb 16, 2009
Ask a Question