Overclocking? Need to know before I buy. Other Q's too.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by MeleeRay, Oct 3, 2008.

1. MeleeRay

MeleeRay

I'm very close to buying the AAO 120GB Version, but there are a few things I'm concerned about. First is Overclocking the CPU. I heard you can OC the CPU, but by how much? And is it possible for the AAO or only the EEE? Also how does WinXP fair on the SSD Version? I heard it's a bit slow, but is it worth getting the 120GB version over?

And I think I have one more question. Here's the exact item I'm about to buy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834115509

Can somebody tell me if this is an older model or not? And if it's worth buying for that price? Or perhaps should I just go back down to the 229.99 version?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

MeleeRay, Oct 3, 2008
  2. MeleeRay

macles

If you think about getting the SSD version, i would suggest to get the 16GB SSD version, which is only available since yesterday. There is a link to it somewhere in the Where to Buy subforum. It may be faster than the 8GB version.

The model you linked is the same XP model that's been available from the beginning, but not in black until a few days ago.

macles, Oct 3, 2008
  3. MeleeRay

chuckcalo

You can't overclock the AAO's CPU via BIOS (maybe using software). You could do it with the MSI Wind but that was an option only available for a few MSI Wind that were firstly released some time ago. And I would get the 160GB version (I think it's on NewEgg for sale). I'm running Vista Ultimate (with nothing but paging disabled) with Aero and it works wonderful, even faster than XP. If you're like me that are going to use the AOO for watching videos/movies/chatting/listening to music then I'd recommend the HDD version over the SSD. Those are my 2 cents.

edit: Here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834115512

chuckcalo, Oct 3, 2008
  4. MeleeRay

woofer00

I wouldn't suggest attempting any overclocks on the AA1 or any other netbook for that matter, for big reason - if you fry the chip, there is no easy swap-out. The Atom is soldered into the mobo pcb. Another is that the Atom is designed for efficiency, not power. Disrupting the preset balance can only bring more problems.

woofer00, Oct 4, 2008
Ask a Question