Overclocking Update?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by caveatipse, Mar 26, 2009.

1. caveatipse

caveatipse

Is there still no way to overclock the Intel Atom on the 8.1" Aspire One, or has something come along? I was able to overclock my graphics processor speed, but still not the main CPU. Thanks for any information.

caveatipse, Mar 26, 2009
  2. caveatipse

goofball

nothing yet that I am aware of. There is limited public info on the clockgen so programmers haven't been able to tap into it to allow for speed manipulation.

goofball, Mar 26, 2009
  3. caveatipse

caveatipse

Yeah I tried clockgen and it froze my computer. So is there any program at all out there that could overclock the main CPU? I managed to overclock the graphics processor, but is there really not a single thing to do the main processor?

caveatipse, Mar 27, 2009
  4. caveatipse

dattaway

If you are interested, souce code for changing the frequency can be found in the linux kernel at:

/usr/src/linux/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq

Much of it has been reverse engineered, but I haven't been able to change the limits yet.

dattaway, Mar 27, 2009
  5. caveatipse

arexxk

Overclocking is usually upto the mobo's capabilities, plus the intel atom wasn't really meant to be OC'd (might overheat a lot). But hey I'm not usuallythe guy to stop ppl from expanding the idea of possibility, but just to let you know a simple update wont overclock the cpu, its based more on a hardware level.

arexxk, Apr 3, 2009
  6. caveatipse

jackluo923

Na... OCed atom can't overheat a lot. The major heat production comes from intel's northbridge. Atom doesn't produce a lot of heat to begin with thus overclocking can't increase the heat production by "a lot".

jackluo923, Apr 4, 2009
  7. caveatipse

HaTaX

In my book overclocking the Atom cpu is akin to turbocharging a smart car's 3cyl engine so you can tow with it. Not really what it was designed for, and honestly even if you got 1.8ghz or something similar, will you really see a difference in the apps that you use?

That being said, I bet these cores are capable of some serious clock increases when combined with some decent cooling in a desktop case.

HaTaX, Apr 11, 2009
  8. caveatipse

arexxk

Well still OC'ing a cpu that was not built for intense processing wont do much and if anything, just add more heat to the equation as well as suck up battery life. :|

arexxk, May 27, 2009
  9. caveatipse

caveatipse

I know all the reasons not to do it, but I have my reasons to do it. I was just wondering if there IS a way yet to do it. Oh and I run Windows.

caveatipse, May 29, 2009
  10. caveatipse

jackluo923

Just search the forum. There's at least 5 topics about this and I've personally answered at least 3 of them.

Overclocking is possible with setfsb if you're lucky enough for 8.9" AAO with the right clockgen . Overclocking 10" and 11.6" are easy because the clockgen are supported in setFSB.

jackluo923, May 30, 2009
  11. caveatipse

arexxk

caveatipse for what reason did you want to overclock anyways?

arexxk, May 30, 2009
  12. caveatipse

caveatipse

Because my Aspire One is so slow and Windows fills up the hard disk with so much crap that the computer is barely usable anymore.

caveatipse, Jun 9, 2009
  13. caveatipse

sdelliott31

The AOA-150 runs plenty fast with XP. There is a thread for "tips to a good xp experience" that you can tweak and shut down services, maximize performance. You can upgrade your RAM and upgrade your HDD and that will make a difference. I have had XP and 7 on a Dual Boot, and though both work just fine I went back to XP as it just is "lighter" in RAM usage and helps me play old games. Your bottleneck is not the processor as much as the video card. There is a graphics accelerator called GMA Booster that will help on that end. Disable antivirus and uninstall and download Avira, that will make a huge difference as well. Disable programs from starting in msconfig, but the basics. Defrag and clean hard drive.

Best of Luck

sdelliott31, Jun 11, 2009
Ask a Question