Overclocking zg5, not easy but works.

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by mali, Jul 7, 2009.

1. mali

mali

Btw. 1080p runs like a charm now :)
    I've downloaded two WMV trailers from the Microsoft site. Both stutter at 1.6GHz and run perfectly at 2GHz.

mali, Jul 13, 2009
  2. mali

jerryt

Well, looks like I am going to "have to" join the club and unlock one of these AOA I have for OC. I have not been able to play H264 High Def files except with all kind of stuttering, I even tried a Broadcom mPCIe video acceration card to no avail.

jerryt, Jul 13, 2009
  3. mali

mali

It's not yet 100% perfect, unfortunately. I've experienced some lockups I can't reproduce. Sometimes SetFSB will crash the AAO, even when just over-/underclocking a fraction of a MHz. I'm still testing.
    Update!
    I've found the reason for the random lockups. My memory stick doesn't like frequency switching. Without memory in slot1 everything works flawlessly. I've ordered a new 1GB module with the same chips my AAO has onboard(Samsung K4T1G164QQ-HCE6).

mali, Jul 13, 2009
  4. mali

judeh101

i used the ram that came w/ my aao :)
    667mhz

judeh101, Jul 14, 2009
  5. mali

mali

I couldn't resist and took out my 1GB stick and was able to go a little higher, so the build in RAM is of higher quality than my 667 stick. Another thumbs up to Acer for building quality hardware :) (Edit: It must be: Another thumbs up to Acer for selling quality hardware made by Quanta ;) )

Did you have any lockups when changing settings in SetFSB so far?

I really think, that the AAO is made for overclocking. The cooling assembly is very different to the approach other manufacturers took in their products. Most other Netbooks have got a fan somwhere on the side that sucks hot air a long way through the whole device with the actual heatsink often far away on the board. The AAO does it the other way around, taking cool air and blowing it through the heatsink. So with a little bit of tweaking it is possible to have a totally reliable and efficient cooling system without the slightest overheating. I've also noticed on screenshots of CPU-Z of an overclocked MSI Wind that the VCore at 12x multiplier of AAO is higher. That adds a little to power consumption but also greatly increases stability at higher clock speeds.

mali, Jul 14, 2009
  6. mali

judeh101

no lock-ups as of yet :D
    I've never really looked into my ram. So far, I do know that the onboard RAM is a 533MHz Samsung memory (which sorta works at 667 :lol:) and my 512 stick that came with my aspire one is also samsung. But it's 667MHz with 5-5-5-15 standard timings :D
    What I found out was, the ram underclocked itself and lowered the timings. so it's working at 533MHz with 4-4-4-12 timings.

judeh101, Jul 15, 2009
  7. mali

mali

I've downloaded the datasheet of the Samsung chips and it states that they are actually 667MHz capable. I haven't found a program to check the SPD so far, both SPDtool and Thaiphoon burner don't recognize the onboard SPD. The RAM runs at the faster 533MHz timings because the BIOS still thinks it's running at default 133MHz bus.

mali, Jul 15, 2009
  8. mali

jackluo923

If you want to play H.264 Hi-Def videos, there are a couple ways.

1) Install Windows 7 and use windows media player 12 or windows media center to play it. Both 1080P and 720P H.264 hi-def videos works up to 7.5Mbps for 1080P and 10Mps 720P.
    2) If you're using Windows Vista or Windows XP, you can use KMplayer to play up to 2Mbps 1080P/720P contents. If you use CoreAVC codec as external codec in Kmplayer, you can play up to 7.5Mbps 720P H.264 footage or 5Mbps 1080P H.264 Hidef footage.

These are all achievable with processor at 1.6Ghz on battery power. For some Blueray Rip released found on the internet, it's possible to play it on battery with the porcessor locked to 800mhz using speedstep.

jackluo923, Jul 15, 2009
  9. mali

Polen

Hello Guys, im new here, and i raw all the thread looking for the same examples at the first post but whit PLL ICS9LPRS365
    I have a AAO 150 zg5
    Today i replace the 512 dimm for a 1G dimm at 667Mhz and remove the resistor 122 to do the trick, but......... i loose the resistor in the exchange..:( I will replace in the next week.
    As i didn't more time, i close the case and try to do the trick, and work!!! but only till 1800Mhz... when i try to pull to 2ghz fails.
    I raw in the first post some thing about modify the value's to registers 1 and 14 but it is for the PLL SLG8SP513V right??
    How can i do the same whit my PLL?
    In special to try to put the prossesor at 2000ghz or more... i don't understan what i are doing bad.
    In the other hand i have a problem when re initialize the unit after the bump up, i can't do again the trick whit the setFSB before restart, nothing happens, like if the resistor steel there... i discover if remove the battery, and put it again, i can do it again... i supouse this happen because i don't transplate the resistor....

Any information is wellcome and thanks in advance.

PD: sorry, my english is bad..

Polen, Jul 16, 2009
  10. mali

mali

I've measured the resistor now, it's 10k, but 1k (and everything in between, obviously) works, too.

I don't know anything about ICS9LPRS365 and how SetFSB sets the different speeds. Is PCIe and FSB independent or does the main slider also increase PCIe and PCI frequencies?

It is possible that the missing grounding of the TME pin lets it register as 1 under certain conditions, so adding back a resistor should be done first. I might look for the PLL datasheet later.

mali, Jul 16, 2009
  11. mali

Polen

Hey Mali

Great, thanks for the info man.

About the PCIe and FSB, yes this are in independent slices, and i try only moving the FSB slide, so... if I move the PCIe to less freq, can i pull up the fsb a proportional amount? How this work?

Another doubt, the change of values on the register as you say in the first post are the same in my pll?. I guess you should not know, but i ask anyway..

Thanks again!

Pol

Polen, Jul 16, 2009
  12. mali

darkgoat

what oppinion do you have on a pencil mod to these resistors? doing a conductive line around the transistor should cancel its effect, while doing a pencil line on the soldering pads should provide some sort of resistance.

not a native speaker.

darkgoat, Jul 16, 2009
  13. mali

jerryt

R124 needs to be open. (Super high resistance) and R122 needs to have 10K ohms resistance (Closed).

I do not believe you can do that with a pencil. The best someone could hope to do with a pencil is "Close" a circuit not "Open" it.

OK, I did my first "Motherboard Overclocking Unlock", moving R124 to R122. It was hard to do.I would suggest buying new 10k surface mount resistors for R122 and then just opening R124.

jerryt, Jul 16, 2009
  14. mali

judeh101

lol, I had to put a HUGE resistor on my mainboard, perhaps I should go and buy a Surface Mount 10K resistor.
    where can I get them?

judeh101, Jul 17, 2009
  15. mali

judeh101

bump bump bump bump

judeh101, Jul 18, 2009
  16. mali

jerryt

Mouser.com has surface mount resistors, but I do not know the "package type" (size).

jerryt, Jul 18, 2009
  17. mali

DutchDK

I think the package size is either "Damn small" or "Outright Microscopic Small" :lol: - My trusty Weller needed a new ultrafine tip, in order for me to get R124 desoldered. For a moment I thought I had lost the resistor, but overturning the board on to a piece of white paper allowed me to find it again. I then used mali's tip about the cyanoacrylate and a needle, to keep it in place for the resolder on the R122 slot.
    I recommend that people use the finest tip they can get, and that they use mali's glue+needle method before desoldering, and use desolder-wick, not a desolder-pump.

DutchDK, Jul 18, 2009
  18. mali

jerryt

I did my second R124 desolder mod and used two irons at the same time. Super easy to remove R124 that way.

jerryt, Jul 18, 2009
  19. mali

DutchDK

Your dexterity is better than mine ;) - I have trouble enough controlling one iron without burning myself. I tend to outsource soldering jobs if I can get away with it, especially those involving SMT component. Although thats mainly due to old eyes.

DutchDK, Jul 18, 2009
  20. mali

mali

Lowering PCIe/PCI won't allow more FSB. Something you can try to check if it is the memory or the CPU that refuses a higher clock speed, is setting the powersaveing scheme to minimum battery(I don't know how it's called in English XP, it's "Minimale Batteriebelastung" in German). That locks the multiplier to 6x and you can try to set a higher FSB. If it doesn't work you know it's the RAM that doesn't like more overclocking, if it allows more FSB it's the CPU.

It is also possible that the AAO just doesn't like the way how SetFSB changes frequencies. I had some freezes again when setting different FSBs. I've observed that sometimes my LAN chip gets activated when I change something in SetFSB. The LAN chip is addressed via SMBus too, so I thing it has to to with slightly incompatible SMBus usage of SetFSB.

For further observations you should download the PLL datasheet and get familiar with the chips registers and their meaning and try changing things directly.

mali, Jul 19, 2009
Ask a Question