Overclocking?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by neoranger158, Aug 18, 2008.

1. neoranger158

neoranger158

Has anny of u guys succeeded in overclocking the atom on the AA1 yet?
    cause i rly want to know if its possible cause the MSI Wind can get to 2,1ghz
    and the asus to 1,9. But what about the AA1?

neoranger158, Aug 18, 2008
  2. neoranger158

Frojd

Haven't found any way yet, do you now what program they wind and EEE users are using?

Frojd, Aug 18, 2008
  3. neoranger158

neoranger158

neoranger158, Aug 19, 2008
  4. neoranger158

Frojd

thanks! I've tried the program a bit and concluded that it's not possible to use the same setting as for the wind. I've not found anything that works yet, only change I was able to make was a random drop to 460MHz. :shock: :(

I'll test some more when I've got time.

Frojd, Aug 19, 2008
  5. neoranger158

Lelouch

Anyone know the IC clock generator for it? I think you can email setfsb to add it on. MSI wind and Asus eee pc 1000 already have theirs working.

Lelouch, Sep 11, 2008
  6. neoranger158

dattaway

Here's how they did it for the eeepc: they found a chip number that turned out to be a PLL synthesizer. They traced its input pins to an IO port, a i2c serial bus, if I remember right. So they looked on the PLL datasheet and found out what registers to read and write. From there they were able to manipulate the frequency. And they found the fan was controlled through this chip too. A kernel module was written to make the PLL have its own /proc entry.

If you see an oscillator chip on the motherboard, you just need to search the datasheet and hack a little program. That's how its done.

dattaway, Sep 11, 2008
  7. neoranger158

the_raptor

I doubt such hacks are going to be stable with the Atom. It has such aggressive down clocking that you are either going to jam it on full speed all the time and nuke your battery life, or you are going to get crashes etc.

the_raptor, Sep 12, 2008
  8. neoranger158

Lelouch

I found the Clock generator = SLG8SP513V
    looks like setfsb says the fsb can't be controlled by software.

Lelouch, Sep 14, 2008
  9. neoranger158

Frojd

Those are bad news :(

Frojd, Sep 14, 2008
  10. neoranger158

hjongste

I am sure all this overclocking is in the spirit of testing the limits (why did Hillary climb Mount Everest?) of what the AA1 can do and trying to figure out what makes it tick. But if you have to ask around how to do it then maybe overclocking is not for you. Such posts will tempt people to try it with the potential of frying their MoBo or bricking their AA1. Buy a machine with the right specs instead of trying to make your AA1 run at breakneck speeds. There are hordes who are buying the cheaper Linux version of the AA1 then install XP only to find out that their XP version is not tuned to work with the machine. Helpdesks are inundated with calls from people who are using the machine inappropriately. I am sure it is all very educational, but for Pete's sake put some decent health warnings on these attempts.

hjongste, Sep 14, 2008
  11. neoranger158

dij

i dont agree with that at all, if people want to overclock who are you to lecture them?

dij, Sep 20, 2008
  12. neoranger158

dij

what? what are you talking about? First take time to realise what i meant.

er.. noone has worked out how to clock the aao.

If you know what overclocking is, you should know the dangers of doing it, if you dont it's down to your own lack of research.

Contradiction?

dij, Sep 21, 2008
  13. neoranger158

N270

Yeah would of thought that someone would of figured out overclocking on this machine by now.
    Or at least how to lock the CPU into full 1.6 GHz mode (no speedstep) with an undervolt. Notebook Hardware Control software does not work with the Aspire One. Windows power management does not stop speedstep from activating.

N270, Sep 23, 2008
  14. neoranger158

Lelouch

I sent the datasheet for the clock generator to setfsb and they can't support it. There is no software controls.
    You can set the processor min and max in Vista. I have my full performance set to 100% min and 100% max.

Lelouch, Sep 23, 2008
  15. neoranger158

fortunz

One of the reasons MSI Wind has (slightly) better battery life than the eee 1000 under normal use is that its power saving mode can go down to 800mhz, where the eee only goes down to 1.2 ghz. As such, I'm interested in being able to underclock my soon-to-arrive AAO for those times when I'm just taking notes.

Is there any news on this front since September?

fortunz, Oct 26, 2008
  16. neoranger158

Guest Guest

I'm wondering about the same thing. Also, I am wating for mine to arrive! I'll see if I can't do anything and post...

Hey - wouldn't underclocking extend the battery life?

Guest, Oct 28, 2008
  17. neoranger158

Frojd

Intel Speedstep takes care of underclocking to 800MHz when you don't need the extra performance. Unfortunately it seems to be impossible to alter the FSB and/or voltage of the AAO through software.

Frojd, Oct 28, 2008
  18. neoranger158

fortunz

I tend not believe people when they say something is impossible. It usually only means they just haven't figured out how to do it yet.

But I haven't got mine yet, so are you sure intel 's lower power mode goes to 800 on the AAO? That's where MSI Wind goes to, but Eee has different, higher settings, which is probably why the Wind's battery lasts a little longer.

fortunz, Oct 29, 2008
  19. neoranger158

nmesisca

yes it goes to 800MHz

nmesisca, Oct 30, 2008
  20. neoranger158

the100thmonkey

It's all about the BIOS with overclocking.

'Software' overclocking works by manipulating BIOS features on the fly from the operating system, rather than the user manipulating the BIOS themselves. If the current crop of AAO BIOSes don't support manual settings for the FSB, multiplier, clock ratio and voltages, then you can't OC the One.

Speedstep works fine with my overclocked Core2 CPU on my desktop. I see no reason why it wouldn't work with the Atom. The obstacle is the BIOS, which is locked down tighter than a gnat's chuff.

the100thmonkey, Oct 30, 2008
Ask a Question