Overwhelmed!

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by MCJUG, Jan 7, 2009.

1. MCJUG

MCJUG

Hi Everyone,

I have been quietly trying to figure out the best method to switch my one over to OSX leopard. I know there are several options, but I am not what I would call extremely technical. I can figure out most things but some of this is way over my head. Ultimately I would like to turn my One into a macbook that is stable and operates and can be updated, etc. just like a real one. Is this a possibility? I am not interested in dual booting or any other slick options, I just want to know if I can load OSX onto this thing and forget about it. I have an intel Imac as my primary at home. My One is a black 16oHD type that is all original. I understand that I will have to swap out the wifi card, and since I will have it open I will upgrade the RAM. If it is possible to turn this into a stable mac, what is the best method to do it? Is there a step by step tutorial for dummies that I can follow? I saw in another post that someone is working on an installer program, that would be sweet but I haven't seen anything new on that. Thanks in advance for your help and I appologize if I am beating a dead horse.

MCJUG, Jan 7, 2009
  2. MCJUG

Desroches

I'm not sure which method is the 'best' but I know that I used http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=129774 that site's step by step guide and got it instaled PERFECTLY on my One. I ran into one problem, which was upgrading from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 where it froze during the installation and it corrupted everything. I know I forgot to do the small terminal bit about sleep and that's probably what caused it but just incase I also did http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=140199 this! and it worked beautifully. You need to remember when you do this extra bit you must also follow it with the first guide or else you'll still get problems. Hopefully this helps and it's not just a load of gibberish!!

- D

Desroches, Jan 8, 2009
  3. MCJUG

smacman

It's quite stable once up and running but I still don't think it's necessarily for everyone. Unless you enjoy a little bit of tinkering, and are willing to make a few compromises (no sleep, etc.), I would hold off. A hackintosh will never compare to a macbook.

smacman, Jan 8, 2009
  4. MCJUG

jermzkill

just read the iAtkos thread it has everything you need and a step by step guide.

jermzkill, Jan 8, 2009
  5. MCJUG

Kopsis

You will not be able to install OS X and forget it. Some things like sleep and hibernate simply don't work yet (and may never work).

Some AAO hardware needs hacked or custom drivers. Sooner or later an upgrade will cause 'breakage'. The community is pretty good at figuring out solutions, but they always require fiddling around in the guts of the OS. None of this is terribly difficult to do, but it takes some time and effort to read and understand enough to be 'comfortable' with the techniques.

If you want an Apple 'it just works' kind of user experience, forget the AAO. Only real Apple hardware will get you that. If you don't mind learning to 'do your own oil changes', then OS X on the AAO can be a fun and rewarding experience :)

Kopsis, Jan 8, 2009
  6. MCJUG

MCJUG

Thanks. I am not scared off yet! I think that If I can get it going and it is stable then I can live without future updates, etc. on my portable. I just don't want to have to constantly fiddle around with it unless I want to.

ps, anyone have anymore info on that 1 click thread?

MCJUG, Jan 8, 2009
  7. MCJUG

jermzkill

I disagree, I installed iAtkos v4.1 and everything that I want works. Sure Sleep doesn't work but I never use that anyway. I have everything working that I NEED and I have no need to update anything and I haven't updated anything since I've installed it about 3 or 4 months ago. So, basically for me I installed it and forgot it.

jermzkill, Jan 9, 2009
  8. MCJUG

MCJUG

Jermzkill,

Can you outline the methods and materials you used to do the install? What wifi card did you use? I know there are a couple of different ones people have used and I would like to get the one that works the best.

MCJUG, Jan 9, 2009
Ask a Question