Package instalers, add/remove, whats the diference

Discussion in 'Linux' started by drfhm, May 25, 2009.

1. drfhm

drfhm

Can anyone explain the diference between the synaptic package manager and the add/remove programs section . I decided to install VLC Player and found in in both those places and also on the firefox browser as an add on . I chose to use ADD/REMOVE and it was successful , ive noticed many applications and programs in both places so it would be nice to understand why and which is the best to use for a novice .To compound the problem I also discovered I have another thing called a Gdbie Package Installer so now im totals spoilt for choice ,that is I would be if I knew what they were and why I need 3 diferent ways to do the same thing .

drfhm, May 25, 2009
  2. drfhm

RockDoctor

Assumption: you're running an Ubuntu variant or some other Debian-based distro.
    Debian and its derivatives offer a multitude of package managers. They all of use the same core, but present different interfaces to the user. Pick one (or several). My personal favorite is synaptic

RockDoctor, May 26, 2009
Ask a Question