package manager not functioning

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Rokashan, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Rokashan

Rokashan

I apologize if this has been posted before. I did a few searches and found nothing.

I have just aquired myself a One, and have done the necessairy to access the advanced menu, so that I could get a p2p program, however there seems to be an issue. I have tried on several different networks to use said package manager, and get thos error every time:

"Unable to retrieve software information"

This comes up after 10-15 seconds of the computer trying to get the info.

If anyone can help me with this, I will love you for all of time.

Rokashan, Aug 16, 2008
  2. Rokashan

Nazerel

I'm getting the message as well. I think that the server is down, as I get the message "HTTP service temporarily unavailable" when I use the terminal to check for updates. But this is my first time using Linux, so I'm not sure.

Nazerel, Aug 16, 2008
  3. Rokashan

daboom

I'm getting this too. It says "unable to retrieve software information. This could be caused by not having a network connection available." If i click "details" it says:
    "Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again."

I'm utterly befuddled, and new to this. What network connection is it looking for? I'm not part of a network.

any help much appreciated!

daboom, Aug 16, 2008
  4. Rokashan

hldevereux

Same here. The Package Manager isn't working for me this morning either. Like Nazerel suggested, the server is probably down temporarily. I've use the Package Manager before and it worked fine then.

hldevereux, Aug 16, 2008
  5. Rokashan

fructoric

I am also a newbie to the Acer Aspire One and Linux and am encountering difficulties when I try to install Skype (skype-2.0.0.72-fc5.i586.rpm).

Every time I try, I get the message "Unable to retrieve software information. This could be caused by not having a network connection available . . . Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again."

Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance.

fructoric, Aug 16, 2008
  6. Rokashan

TS.

I'm getting this message as well. Probably just that the server is down. I started getting this message at about 12:30AM ADT (3:30 AM GMT).

TS., Aug 16, 2008
  7. Rokashan

jlhs1971

Thanks for posting this. I got my AA1 today as well and am also having the same problem. If anyone solves this - or if it is just due to the server being down - please post your solution.

best
    julian

jlhs1971, Aug 16, 2008
  8. Rokashan

Payndz

Joining the throng having problems (the "Unable to retrieve software information..." message). But the package manager has worked for me before, so it looks like some server-side fault.

What's annoying is that I only get the message occasionally. Other times, the status bar just sits there for eternity, doing nothing. I can't even quit it!

Payndz, Aug 16, 2008
  9. Rokashan

2manydjs

Damn, I just restored because I'm leaving on a holiday.. Does anyone know a mirror I can use?

EDIT This seems to work for me:
    Go to repository manager, edit the settings to change Fedora (fedora 8 -i386) entry from mirror list to url and use the url below. I have unticked the updates entry for now.
    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/f ... g/i386/os/

2manydjs, Aug 17, 2008
  10. Rokashan

Wolydarg

Oh man, thanks so much for that.

Wolydarg, Aug 17, 2008
  11. Rokashan

TS.

That worked perfectly. Thanks!

TS., Aug 17, 2008
  12. Rokashan

Payndz

It didn't work for me, I'm afraid - I set it to look for the URL rather than the mirror list, but it always switches back to the mirror list when I close the edit window. (And I now get a new error message - "Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: updates. Please verify its path and try again")

Any suggestions?

Payndz, Aug 17, 2008
  13. Rokashan

Anttikoo

Same here,

It switches to mirror list all the time..

Could someone also paste the original mirror list URL here, because I managed to paste over it..

Anttikoo, Aug 17, 2008
  14. Rokashan

AlexK

It worked fine for me, once I'd unticked all the updates at the bottom of the repository list. Many thanks for this.

AlexK, Aug 17, 2008
  15. Rokashan

TS.

You have to make sure to untick updates, as well as changing the URL for Fedora 8.

TS., Aug 17, 2008
  16. Rokashan

fructoric

I wish I understood...

fructoric, Aug 17, 2008
  17. Rokashan

TS.

When you open the Red Hat package manager, and you are getting the message about lacking repository metadata, it will give you a button you can click on called repositories. You should see both the "Fedora" and "updates" repositories have ticks in the boxes next to them. Make the change listed above to the Fedora 8 repository, and make sure that the box next to updates is unticked. Everything should work fine after that.

TS., Aug 17, 2008
  18. Rokashan

Payndz

Works now - finally!

Payndz, Aug 17, 2008
  19. Rokashan

Ace_Rimmer

The repository mirror is back up, at least right now. (2008 August 17 2012Z)

Ace_Rimmer, Aug 17, 2008
  20. Rokashan

Angorn

It's down again, now what?

Angorn, Aug 20, 2008
Ask a Question