Package or RPM

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Queseuq, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Queseuq

Queseuq

There are two programs I'm looking to install, Kile and ScummVM. From the package manager, with updated repositories, the version numbers are 2.0-1 and 0.11.1-2 respectively. However these are not the most up to date versions and while I can not find a newer version of Kile for Fedora 8 there is an RPM of ScummVM 0.12 that works. I'm now wondering if I should look harder for a newer version of Kile and when I should trust the package manager to have the most up to date version of a program available?

Queseuq, Jan 25, 2009
  2. Queseuq

daldred

Depends where you're finding the more up to date .rpm files. If they are definitely for Fedora 8, they should be OK; it's probably not a good idea to try packages set up for other distros, though.

Repos aren't always up to date; it depends when the maintainers of their maintainers approve things for inclusion, and indeed whether people packaging software put their packages into the repos.

daldred, Jan 25, 2009
  3. Queseuq

Queseuq

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense!

Queseuq, Jan 26, 2009
Ask a Question