page file questions

Discussion in 'Windows' started by cgk, Feb 24, 2009.

1. cgk

cgk

I'm running xp on the ssd version of the acer one. I see people mentioning moving the page file to an sd card.

1) how do I move the page file?

2) What type of sd card should I use?

3) does it matter which of the slots I use?

Thanks in advance

cgk, Feb 24, 2009
  2. cgk

SNOboy

to change pagefile goto control panel/system/advanced/settings/advanced/virtual memory point to your sd card

get class 6 sd or sdhc as for size its upto you as you only need max 2gig (2048) for swapper but you will still be able to use the rest of space for storage if over the pagefile size

and for the swapper you should use the left side one as its only sd format and the right side is 5 in 1 reader

hope this helps SNO

SNOboy, Feb 25, 2009
  3. cgk

jackluo923

you should get a fast sdhc 6 card (25mbps +) if you're getting and sdhc. Regular class6 sdhc card (6mbps) are very slow, it's not much faster than the SSD. If you're going the SD card route, make sure to get 100x or 133x (30mbps) card.

jackluo923, Feb 26, 2009
  4. cgk

Tamrac

Merely pointing XP to the SD card is not enough.... it may seem to work, but try to look and you'll realize the pagefile is still on the SSD. This is because windows will not mount a pagefile on a remoable drive(your SD slot). 1st install a driver to make it a fixed drive. Do a search on the forum, it has been discussed before. Cheers.

Tamrac, Feb 28, 2009
  5. cgk

jackluo923

However, since windows 2000 was created, you can put the page file on removable drive without any modification. :lol:

jackluo923, Feb 28, 2009
  6. cgk

Tamrac

Are you saying that Win2k can do this and not XP? Or that you can do this from Win2k onwards...... I'll assume you're basing this by just looking at the setting on My computer system properties. Look more closely, make the pagefile visible 1st.

As I mentioned earlier, windows will "seem" to put the pagefile on the removable drive. But reboot and take a look at the actual page file used it's still on the main drive. (you can check by deleting the pagefile manually on C:, upon reboot, it reappears like magic hehehe). :lol: :lol:

Tamrac, Mar 1, 2009
  7. cgk

jackluo923

I'm saying that Win2k and onward can set the pagefile on an removable drive.

"As I mentioned earlier, windows will "seem" to put the pagefile on the removable drive. But reboot and take a look at the actual page file used it's still on the main drive. (you can check by deleting the pagefile manually on C:, upon reboot, it reappears like magic hehehe)."

Take a close look at the disk activities when you set the page file to a removable storage. You'll notice that almost all the page files activies are directed to the removable storage. Windows will "seem", in this case it fooled you, to reappear like magic in the System drive after restart.

jackluo923, Mar 1, 2009
  8. cgk

Tamrac

Then threads like the one below and others are not valid then huh.... ok if you say so.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6966&p=45572&hilit=pagefile+on+sd+slot+drivers#p45572

Tamrac, Mar 1, 2009
  9. cgk

jackluo923

They're invalid because the onboard MMC controller is not detected before the OS boots.
    There are tonnes of people, including myself, who run windows xp on their removable storage. They have their windows xp page file on their removable storage. The page files are indeed used and no other means of storage are used.
    I've also successfully set the page file on an SD card in AAO. All you need is a usb card reader and a SD card. Then set your page file on the SD card.

jackluo923, Mar 1, 2009
  10. cgk

Tamrac

The topic is about our AAO. No wonder. You're talking about other computers. In AAO you'll need a USB card reader just to set the pagefile on that? That sure defeats the purpose of portability then you have something sticking out of our AAO jst to have pagefile working. We were all talking about putting the pagefile on an SD using the left side SD slot... Ok, now that has been clarified... is it possible? Since I can never get it to work, it reverts to the SSD.

Tamrac, Mar 1, 2009
Ask a Question