Parental Controls?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by kickbackcat, Nov 3, 2008.

1. kickbackcat

kickbackcat

Hi,

I've bought an Acer Aspire One for my daughters christmas present. I'm obviously concerned about internet content an 8 year old should be protected from so i'm looking for an application compatible with Linpus Lite which will let me filter web content. Does anyone know if such an application exists?

kickbackcat, Nov 3, 2008
  2. kickbackcat

dack001

Just my opionion, but i don't think a 8 year old should browse the web unattended.

dack001, Nov 3, 2008
  3. kickbackcat

daldred

While I agree with dack001, some sort of filtering is probably better than nothing if you do not agree! Glubble (http://www.glubble.com/) may be an option: it appears to install as a Firefox extension. Be aware that this will not filter things like messenger chat or email.

Even for a child this age, the net is a potentially dangerous place: there are some nasty people out there and they are good at misusing the Internet to contact children. Sad to say, even an eight year old has to learn to trust no-one on the net unless they really, really know who she is dealing with.

daldred, Nov 3, 2008
  4. kickbackcat

rbil

One commonly used on Linus computers is dansguardian. This sets up a proxy and allows filtering on ip addresses. However, it requires that iptables be installed and functioning. Unfortunately, with Acer's Linpus iptables is not available, nor is the capability compiled into the kernel supplied by Acer. I don't know what to suggest in this case, other than going with another distrobution that can use iptables and will then allow you to install dansguardian.

Possibly, as others have suggested, some kind of firefox extension might be available to accomplish what you want. But you' d need to investigate whether that too would depend on iptables in some form.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 4, 2008
  5. kickbackcat

MatthewV

MatthewV, Nov 5, 2008
Ask a Question