Partioning with Fedora-10-x86_64

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Scottc, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Scottc

Scottc

Hello,

I just downloaded the huge (3.9GB) Fedora-10-x86_64.iso file,

burned to to disk,

started it up and noticed it does not give the option (at least not that I can see) of partioning the hard drive and installing.

Am I missing something?

Is there anyway to install this to a partition? or is the only option to "upgrade or install to disk".

I have Ubuntu 7.10 and the live CD allows a test and then partioning the drive and installing.

I also have the Fedora 10-XFCE-live on a flash drive and that does not have the option (at least not that I noticed) of partitioning and then loading the created partition.

I would rather load the BIG MOTHER, that's why I went to the trouble.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott

Scottc, Apr 12, 2009
  2. Scottc

HappyHarry

firstly the aspire one isn't 64 bit compatable so i hope your not hoping to install the x86_64 version on the one, secondly the x86_64 dvd isn't a live disk.

but putting that aside with the x86_64 disc you need to choose to install to disk, then during the installation procedure it will give you the option of creating a new partition or modifying existing partitions to install onto :)

also with the xfce live version you can use it as a live os just like your ubuntu, and when it's actually loaded you will see there is an icon on the desktop that says install to disk, double clicking this will bring you to the same install procedure as the x86_64 disc has and as such gives you the same partitioning options :)

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 12, 2009
  3. Scottc

Scottc

HappyHarry,

You are right about the 64 version, I (momentarily) had forgotten I was on an Aspire One forum.

I had no intention of trying to put it on my AAO, when I put up the question I was thinking I was on a Fedora forum.

Never-the-less, You answered the question and I appreciate your advice, that is what I wanted to know.

I am thinking that if I put Fedora on my Desktop and AAO that I could be a little more consistent on figuring/sorting my way.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Scottc

Scottc, Apr 12, 2009
  4. Scottc

HappyHarry

no probs scott, yeah that is a good idea and will certainly help in fixing problems or debugging and learning to use the os. if you have any problems in installing or using fedora don't hesitate in asking here or at forums.fedoraforum.org :)

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 12, 2009
  5. Scottc

Scottc

Hey HappyHarry,

I am happy to say that your instructions were correct, I partioned fine, partition/install took about 2 hours.

I can live with that.

I now boot right into Fedora 10.

No option for Windows. Not a dual boot situation,

scott

Scottc, Apr 13, 2009
Ask a Question