Partition and Mount SDHC Card in UBUNTU

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by mistseeker, Sep 25, 2008.

1. mistseeker

mistseeker

Good afternoon.

I have recently bought a 16 gig Traxdata SDHC Card for my AA1 running Ubuntu Hardy.

I would like, if possible, a how-to for:

Partitioning a SDHC card correctly for use in Ubuntu Hardy.
    Mounting the card as /home , /tmp and /var (or just /home). Also, backing up the data there safely before this mount.
    Setting the system so that it automounts the card on startup.

Thanks a lot in advance, this is a very informative forum, indispensable for AA1 users!

mistseeker, Sep 25, 2008
  2. mistseeker

donec

Here is what I did. During install I selected manual partitioning and used 7Gb of the 8Gb drive for the root partition and 1Gb as the swap partition. I used the 16Gb SDHC card for the home partition. I used the ext2 type format for both root and home, since it will (as I understand it) reduce the disk access. Works great. Oh! BTW I installed Onelinux instead of the true Ubuntu as more things work with it. Note: I had to install from a CD since when I tried to install from a USB stick I found after the install I would either not have wireless or would not be able to mount USB sticks. (Tried several different USB stick creations).

donec, Sep 27, 2008
  3. mistseeker

mistseeker

Donec, thanks for your reply and your time!

Unfortunately I bought the SDHC card AFTER I had installed and configured Ubuntu on my AA1 and I'm afraid reinstalling it from scratch will be a lot of hassle right now. That's why I'm asking if this can be done *after* the installation, perhaps by using Gparted, and what code needs to be inserted, and where, so that the mount remains after restart.

Thanks again!

mistseeker, Sep 27, 2008
  4. mistseeker

donec

I believe that you can backup the home partition. Reinstall Ubuntu, do your upgrades and add any software you had installed before. At this point you should be able to copy the old home partition, from your backup, to the new one replacing the new. When you reboot you should have your old system but be using the new SDHC. I have done this with other Linux systems but as I remember it I had to do some of the process as root and with the way Ubuntu keeps us from logging in as root may cause some complications. Maybe you should ask the same question over at the Ubuntu forums before trying. In a few days I am going to try and make an image of my partitions and then delete them to see if it works. When I do this I will also try and see if I can do a reinstall and copy the old home over to get back the setup I have now. Once I do I will report the results here. It will take me a few days to find the time to do it.

donec, Sep 28, 2008
  5. mistseeker

mistseeker

Donec, thanks again!
    I'll ask at the Ubuntuforums as well. Take care.

mistseeker, Sep 28, 2008
Ask a Question