password question

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by charliesays, Feb 7, 2009.

1. charliesays

charliesays

bought myself an acer aspire one from asda today for just £150, but when i got it home and turn it on it became apparent that it was not brand new. Everything works fine, but it never asked my to set a password up on boot. It was obviously not the first boot - I went to set password in settings but i need the original one that was typed in - obviously i don't know this.
    Whats this password for? will i ever need it? Cos I had the last one and it's going to cost me £200 to get one anywhere else! Its the linux 120gb model.
    Is there a way I can change it?
    Thanks

G

charliesays, Feb 7, 2009
  2. charliesays

GvidoR

For other Linux operating systems it would ask the password on boot and when you're doing some system changes or something but for Linpus it asks the password when you're doing system changes, etc.

Linux is pretty secured operating system so there wouldn't be an easy way of revealing the password.
    If you just purchased it and didn't put any files on it, you could do a recovery. It takes only 20 minutes. If you don't have an external DVD drive and have another computer with a DVD drive, you can create recovery USB key (extra 20 minutes)

GvidoR, Feb 7, 2009
  3. charliesays

corranga

I bought mine from my local Asda a few weeks back and it didn't prompt me to set up a password, the box was completely sealed so I know it was new too.

That said, mine only had linpus on it for about 2 days...

Chris

corranga, Feb 7, 2009
  4. charliesays

woodland

hi,

do a SEARCH, right top corner, for password.. there is a lot of very relevant info with regard to this subject available on this forum.

woodland, Feb 7, 2009
Ask a Question