password

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jane, Dec 28, 2008.

1. jane

jane

i set up with a password but it starts without asking for it. i have tried to change my password but it always says eg "dictionary word". how do i get my password to work at login stage to make my netbook secure?

jane, Dec 28, 2008
  2. jane

donec

Have you considered a BIOS password? I would make your AAO more secure since no one could boot from a different device and the access your hd as a data disk.

donec, Dec 28, 2008
  3. jane

jane

Thank you for your advice. I still need to have a password for protection once my AAO is switched on. Otherwise anyone can switch it on and have access to all my stuff. I also do not understand why I cannot change my password as it always says this is a dictionary word even when I put numbers in! Help please as I am a newbie with my xmas presie!

jane, Dec 29, 2008
  4. jane

janss

If you're using the standard Linpus setup from acer, you can follow the instructions in the How to disable autologin thread.

And yes, Linux tends to use "kryptographic passwords", so try to insert one with normal letters, capitals and numbers, it should do it. Allthough every distro I've used has accepted passwords with only normal letters and numbers, no caps needed...

janss, Dec 29, 2008
  5. jane

jane

Thanks for your help. As I do not want to use the BIOS option it looks like I will have to live with the fact that it automatically logs in. Strange system as I am used to using passwords to get into all other computers etc that I use.

jane, Dec 29, 2008
Ask a Question