Photo softwares

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by robert456, Feb 27, 2009.

1. robert456

robert456

Hello

I'm a happy AAo 110 owner (the cheap 8gb ssd version)

Photoshop might be the reference for photo editing on a desktop/larger laptop but on my small AAO, I don't think it makes any sense (too big/bloated)

So, in your opinion, what are the softwares suitable for casual photo on the AAO (= view, crop, recolor, level, red eyes and small retouching + RAW support if possible)

I tested on my AAO some of the softwares that I have on my main computer :
    - photoshop CS2 --> didn't find it practical (too many menus and pannels, you always have to ctrl-tab to get some workspace...)
    - rgbmachine --> very cheap "clone" of lightroom but without RAW --> very practical with my old 6megapixel JPG-only camera but too limited with a more serious camera...)
    - acdsee 2.4 (very old viewer but very reactive ;-) )
    - artrage (very cheap "corel painter light"... but not interesting unless you have a tablet mod on your AAO)
    - fireworks 8 --> cool compromise for me: it's a photoshop "light" with vector functions... but no RAW support -- i guess the newer versions are bloated and/or don't support 1024x600 (?)

I would be interested in getting your feedback for the following softwares :
    - older photoshop (more reactive ?)
    - photoshop elements 7 (is it ok on 1024x600 ? is it very bloated ?)
    - lightroom (idem)
    - paint shop pro (idem)
    - anything else ?

robert456, Feb 27, 2009
  2. robert456

MParker

Photoshop Elements v5, 6, or 7 is actually the equal of CS3 or CS4 for general image processing. Some reviewers actually preferred it. I have v7 on my AAO.

Picasa (free) has a relatively small footprint and might be adequate for you.

Keep in mind that the AAO, in any of its versions, is not appropriate (at least IMO) for sophisticated image editing, especially if you need to produce high quality oversized prints. I see the the AAO as an adjunct to my photography when I'm in the field; a place I can offload to, view results, and perform some very basic, repeat, very basic image post processing adjustments. Nothing more. For these tasks it is far far better than the multimedia storage devices available and the size is attractive. The bonus of web connectivity, 3G, GPS, etc is just that, a bonus. If I need to do full featured editing and need to produce large (XXGB) images I have systems that can do that properly. Using the AAO as a primary image processor might be a mistake unless your needs are very modest.

MParker, Feb 27, 2009
  3. robert456

xhozt

2 words THE GiMp ,, nuff said

xhozt, Feb 27, 2009
  4. robert456

jackluo923

3 words
    Modded photoshop CS3

50MB self contained program (no installation required).

jackluo923, Feb 28, 2009
  5. robert456

goofball

assuming your camera model is supported by the raw converter, photoshop cs2 works well. Paint Shop Pro also works.
    It all depends on how much you intend to edit. Picasa is more than enough for some. For others, only photoshop will do. Lightroom is a good app also.

goofball, Feb 28, 2009
  6. robert456

violent23

Also might wanna try paint.net.

violent23, Mar 1, 2009
  7. robert456

Tamrac

It's not so practical to do normal post processing on our AAO, does not have the juice. 10-12megapixel photos are way too much for it. I'm talking about the SSD version AAO. Photoshop is actually usable on the AAO 150. I only use mine to view and do some light post work, just to see if I have usable shots... For this I just use PICASA. It reads Nikon RAW very well, and does a great job. This together with IRFANVIEW for quick resampling/resizing.

Tamrac, Mar 2, 2009
  8. robert456

CharlieP

also ----------- take a look at ThumbsPlus

CharlieP, Mar 4, 2009
  9. robert456

Dalhedaren

gimp ftw, it's easy, lighweight and about as good as PS, but the best part is that it's free :D

Dalhedaren, Mar 5, 2009
  10. robert456

wingk1314

I have both picasa3 and photoshop cs3 installed.
    Most of the time, I use picasa3 to do some very light editing and as a library.
    Photoshop is rarely used but it comes in extremely handy when you need to do something extra and you're not at home/office.
    I'd say if you got the room, you should install both.

I can't be bothered trying lightroom due to the One's limited screen estate though.

wingk1314, Mar 7, 2009
  11. robert456

Photomonk

On my AAO, I have Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7 for both photo and video editing. I am also using Nikon Capture NX, so that I can do some of my work in the field. I am not trying trying to produce in the field, which is where I would use the AAO primarily, just cut down on my time when I return to my studio. With the AAO, I have a head start.

Photomonk, Mar 7, 2009
  12. robert456

philh99

As per the original posters question, they have the 8Gb SSD version, therefore, the Linpus version.
    Therefore, to run windows apps would require that they are WINE compatible. Photoshop CS2 is compatible and I have used this succesfully and works quite well (old Demo Version). However, installing this way would require a second Photoshop CS2 license. Installing any other Adobe Photoshop products would be useless as they are not vertified with WINE. Check at winehq.com.

I have replaced Linpus with Linux Mint and have the latest versions of Picasa 3 and GIMP, along with the RAW converter (UFO I think). I use Picasa to check the suitability of any pictures I have taken and UFORAW and GIMP for any serious manipulation. Using GIMP means it is transferable to other computers, although GIMP does have limited support for Photoshop PSD files.

Your ONLY two options are:

Adobe Photoshop CS2 via WINE (will be hard to geta full copy that is unregistered),
    GIMP (free and pre-installed).

For reference, I used GIMP extensively in Linpus Lite and the only problem I found was it's an earlier version that I wanted, hence switching the OS.

I have a Canon 350D and connect the camera directly via USB as it uses CF cards.
    I have an external 100Gb disk that I back them up on which stays in my room when away and a 16Gb SD card in the left slot.
    I feel this works very well when away.

Oh yeah, I also have the 9-cell battery, which Linux Mint tells me has 10.5 hours of charge when the wireless is turned off, 6.5 hours when on from a full charge.

philh99, Mar 10, 2009
  13. robert456

Plastikman

I am a photoshop user myself. i use it to create 3D textures and for scripting in post prduction use. I use a "Portable Photoshop 8 (CS2)" that found on the net a few years ago. it is 80mb, but runs off a thumbdrive, no install needed.

So far it is compatable with my desktop'sPhotoshop's files (full, latest update), with minimal problems (groups inside PSD files for example).

Funny that My place of employment is Adobe site licenced with cd's and keys floating all over the shop and I'm using a bootleg.

I have not tried the more bloated newer versions the netbook yet.

I have had no issues with 8 other then the first set up, the options screen was slightly larger the 800px tall.

The Droplet scripts area bit slow on the One. as to be expected.

on the other side of the coin, Eyeon Fusion scripts are very fast for a standard light script. not to mention the the fact that Fusion normally wont show a preview screen on built-in or low-end video cards and it does on the Aspire (it wont show the mask as transperant though).

Plastikman, Mar 11, 2009
  14. robert456

bdavison

Im running PaintShopPro 8 on my AAO. It works fine. The only limitation is of course the screen resolution for viewing high res pictures. I dont do much post-processing on the AAO. I usually wait until I can get the picts up on my big machine for editing and PP.

bdavison, Mar 25, 2009
  15. robert456

oh_johny

I use ACDsee 2.41 quite a bit. It is not bloated with features, so it runs quite fast. It has a number of capabilities that are not self evident .
    1. can convert between jpeg and other formats - this can also be used to resize the file size of large jpegs by changing the amount of compression - handy for making copies to email, for the web, etc. - it can do this in batch mode by selecting a group of pictures and applying the compression to the selected files.
    2.You can rename a group of related files to something more coherent and meaningful by selecting the files you wish to work with and select, then right click and choose rename series from the popup menu.
    3. you can rotate images in 90 degree increments, handy again for quickly sorting out upside down images.
    4. by toggling between, thumbnail mode and detail mode you can easily see the file details including resolution and size.
    5.Setup rescale in the tools options and it will zoom in or out any image when it is loaded to force it to display in the normal screen size, then press "/" to display it at its native resolution.
    6. You can also use it to copy or move files, which is handy for sorting images into separate folders/directories.

it is very fast and doesn't use much memory, it can be configured as the default image viewer in windows which is what I have been doing. I've used it for about 10 or more years and it is one of the best softwares I've run across.

I also use FireworksMX to batch rescale images, it has more options, and has a number of nice features. It is quite expensive compared to ACDsee, but it does alot more. Since it is older software it too runs fast, as it doesn't expect a tremendous amount of system resources.

oh_johny, Apr 6, 2009
  16. robert456

briggs

More info on this please. I want to do the same thing with my netbook. I have CS3 already for my desktop.

briggs, May 13, 2009
  17. robert456

Tamrac

I've downloaded and installed the CS4 "portable" version as well. Only 70+mb and surprisingly.... it works. hehe. ;)

Tamrac, May 17, 2009
  18. robert456

datamicke

Re: PIXLR

Use the online-editor at http://www.pixlr.com
    Totally free, no installation, no startuptime.
    All the Photoshop-goodies like layers, levels and cloning etc.

A MUST SEE !

Many languages and also possible to expand to fullscreen-mode.

www.pixlr.com

datamicke, May 18, 2009
  19. robert456

ashram

i currently use art weaver.... sure, it's not photoshop, but it reminds me of someof the older versions, it's free, it's tiny (less that 20MB) and runs smooth on my d250

ashram, Aug 3, 2009
  20. robert456

sandybuchan

Hi,
    I've just been jumping through hoops with this as well.
    Bottom line is, for RAW images, particularly the new RW2 like you get from a Panasonic FZ28 or similar, Linpus just doesn't do it. Or if it does, you will face dependency hell.
    You need UFRAW, not UFO as stated previously. For RW2 formats, it needs to be version 0.14 or above.
    I ended up installing Ubuntu, as my Linpus crashed spectacularly (probably my fault, trying to get too much out of it), a friend lent me Ubuntu on USB to get started again and I now have perfect RW2 support via UFRAW and UFRAW-gimp.
    Linpus will (probably) handle normal RAW files via ufraw 0.13.

Hope this points you in the right direction.
    Cheers,
    Sandy

sandybuchan, Aug 5, 2009
Ask a Question