PIDGIN

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JONYBOY, Sep 6, 2008.

1. JONYBOY

JONYBOY

Hi guys

Need a step by step guide on installing Pidgin [ im a linux r00ki3]

i installed the Source version of it an it is in my files but i carnt seem to install it

hope someone can help

cheers - jon - ;)

JONYBOY, Sep 6, 2008
  2. JONYBOY

candy

similar problem here with pidgin !
    Pidgin is in my list of add/remove programs and when I mark it for installation, he tells me that some library is missing.
    When I check for this library, it's already installed !

candy, Sep 6, 2008
  3. JONYBOY

Grim Squeaker

The version of libpurple installed on the machine is a non-standard one, not compatible with pidgin.
    If you want pidgin, you must first remove this "Acer library".

Unfortunately the Acer Mail and IM programs will no longer work if you do this...

If you do not need those programs, pidgin can be installed from a terminal as follows:
    sudo yum remove libpurple
    sudo yum install pidgin

Sidenote: pidgin does not yet support the use of the webcam in msn. If that is an essential part of your msn experience you probably will not wish to install it..

Grim Squeaker, Sep 6, 2008
  4. JONYBOY

candy

I thought that programs just use the libraries that they need, independent of other libraries that are on the system.
    So whether libpurple for acer-software is installed or not, should not mather here.

yum install pidgin gives this error :

Error: Missing Dependency: libpurple = 2.4.3-1.fc8 is needed by package pidgin

yum install libpurple gives me :

Setting up Install Process
    Parsing package install arguments
    Nothing to do

candy, Sep 6, 2008
  5. JONYBOY

JONYBOY

ok thanks mate
    that wont be a problem for me as i dont use those functions and webcam is not essential so i shall go ahead and do that unless some1 knows a client that can run msn? Amsn doesnt work either :idea:

JONYBOY, Sep 6, 2008
  6. JONYBOY

ftapon

I'm having nearly the identical problem. The only difference is that my error msg is:

Code:
    Error: Missing Dependency: libpurple = 2.5.1-1.fc8 is needed by package pidgin

Has anyone come up with a solution? I removed both the Acer Mail Client and the IM program already. I've installed Thunderbird successfully and just want a good IM client.

Thanks!

ftapon, Sep 26, 2008
  7. JONYBOY

Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker, Sep 26, 2008
  8. JONYBOY

ftapon

Grim: Thanks for the advice, but I had already done that, per other posts. But that didn't help. But I"ll share what did help. It may not work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Problem: Can't install pidgin via Xterm due to missing dependencies. Trying to install Pidgin via Add/Remove programs doesn't work either.

Solution that worked for me:
    1. Use the Add/Remove Programs to remove all Pidgin related software (uncheck the box)
    2. Exit Add/Remove Programs
    3. Open xterm and type

Code:
    sudo yum install pidgin
    That worked. Trying to install Pidgin via Add/Remove programs was giving me errors and trying to do it via Xterm was also giving me errors. It wasn't until I uninstalled it completely that I was able to install via xterm.

Also, I've heard many complain that MSN doesn't work properly. It does for me. I got Yahoo, AIM, and MSN all working. No problems. Easy once it installed.

Good luck,

ftapon, Sep 27, 2008
  9. JONYBOY

Jack Vermicelli

I just got pidgin working, and it somehow retained the account info I had put into the acerIM. AIM and YIM work fine. However, neither MSN nor Gtalk work, saying they need an SSL library (MSN) and TLS/SSL support (Google Talk). How can I add/enable these? Also, why is the option for Google Talk given in the account setup menu under services, when pidgin changes it to "XMPP" instead?

The innarnets seem to indicate that something called mozilla-nss, part of any Firefox installation, does the trick for SSL library support, but either I'm mis-concluding or this is not the case. In short- no clue.

Thanks

Jack Vermicelli, Sep 29, 2008
  10. JONYBOY

RockDoctor

Sounds like more versioning problems; different programs requiring different versions of the library files. I'm running Fedora Rawhide on my AA1, and have no problems connecting to MSN with Pidgin.

RockDoctor, Sep 29, 2008
  11. JONYBOY

jccguays

I have a different problem with Pidgin: I can installing without any problem, but when I go to my menu to look for the application, there a lot of icons (in differents places and branches) with the words "Back" and "More". When I hit any of them, Pidgin is opened.

Anyone has that issue?

Regards

jccguays, Oct 1, 2008
  12. JONYBOY

ftapon

Yes, jccguays I have that same issue. I haven't tried to solve it since it doesn't bother me that much, but it would be nice to fix it.

ftapon, Oct 4, 2008
  13. JONYBOY

jccguays

:oops: Nice to know I'm the only one with the same problem :oops: Sorry, it was a joke.

Thanks for the answer

jccguays, Oct 5, 2008
  14. JONYBOY

Jack Vermicelli

Regardless, woud anyone know how to solve this? I don't imagine I'm the only one using Linpus that would like to use MSNM through Pidgin.

Jack Vermicelli, Oct 27, 2008
  15. JONYBOY

Phil_Urich

Strange, I'm using it just fine, I just did the good ol' "remove libpurple, then install pidgin and it installs its non-acer version of libpurple" routine and everything has worked fine for me, including MSN and Jabber/GTalk.

What do you folks' repositories look like?

Phil_Urich, Oct 28, 2008
  16. JONYBOY

lunged

I just installed Pidgin via Terminal, and am suffering a few system issues now. My guess is it has something to do with removing the default libpurple.
    Some keyboard functions no longer work properly - like function+up/down no longer changes the volume. Screen brightness still works, but no icons appear on screen. Package manager stalls or quits upon opening, AND I can't find Pidgin anywhere. Its not in my right-click menu, nor in my /usr/share/applications/ directory. Is this something I should have been aware of before installing Pidgin, or is my situation the exception?

EDIT: After several reboots, problems persist. I can't use Package Manager, nor can I re-install Pidgin through Terminal (it just hangs for 20+ minutes). Will I have to do a clean install or can I download libpurple somewhere to install it manually... I can't find anything on the pidgin website about installing it on Fedora 8 via web download. Thanks for the help - I'm a Linux noob, but I think I'm picking it up pretty well for being at it only four days.

lunged, Dec 1, 2008
  17. JONYBOY

RockDoctor

Looks like more than Pidgin and libpurple were replaced, but you can try this. Download the libpurple and pidgin rpm files directly from the Fedora repository http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Packages and try to install them manually. Open a terminal, change to the directory to which you downloaded the files, make sure there are no other rpm files in that directory, then
    Code:
    sudo rpm -Uvh *.rpm

RockDoctor, Dec 1, 2008
  18. JONYBOY

lunged

Nope, terminal just stalls when I try that. I'm in the right directory and using your command. So far its been sitting there doing nothing for 15 minutes. I have no idea what went wrong last time.

EDIT: I had not tried opening an .rpm, but upon doing so Pirut said something along the lines of "the following packages will be installed" and listed nothing (at this point it would never quit either). So my noob question is, can I open the libpurple .rpm with Xarchiver and manually pull files from there (placing them in whatever directory they need to go in)? Or is this not at all how it works? I'm inclined to think this won't work... but I figured I'd ask. At this point I'm not sure if libpurple will even help... I just don't know what happened in the first place. I've done a bunch of tweaks to the system far 'scarier' than this one and was able to get everything working perfectly.
    FWIW, I'm coming from a Mac background, and have done minimal terminal work there (but some none the less).

lunged, Dec 1, 2008
  19. JONYBOY

RockDoctor

Yes you can

RockDoctor, Dec 2, 2008
  20. JONYBOY

lunged

As an update, I successfully installed Libpurple and Pidgin by manually copying files with the Terminal. It works perfectly, but as expected, the issues with my system persist. I'll finally get home tomorrow, so I'll do a re-install then. I'm not too bummed, as that Terminal work was a good learning experience. Thanks for the help.
    /thread hijack

lunged, Dec 4, 2008
Ask a Question