pirut & power center

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mrpostman, Nov 25, 2009.

1. mrpostman

mrpostman

Hi,

since trying to update my Linux via the live update tool, a few things have gone wrong.

I can not access the power center now, my battery icon has disappeared, and I can not access Pirut (add/remove software)

I dont know if pirut worked prior to the update, as I never used it, but I wanted to check it out to see if it had the power center (kpowersave) as a downloadable so I could try and sort it myself.

When I try and execute Pirut, it asks for my root password, I type that in, but then nothing.

When I try to access power center from the desktop menu, nothing happens. When I try to access it from /usr/share/applications it tells me:

Failed to execute child process "kpowersave" (No such file or directory).

Does any one have any ideas please how to either get into Pirut or kpowersave?

Could pirut fail to load as I am connecting via a usb dongle and have not set up a permanent internet connection?

help please!

mrpostman, Nov 25, 2009
  2. mrpostman

axelth

I have the same problem since installing chromium. There is a library mismatch, with no easy way to solve it except for using
    sudo rpm -U pango-1.18.4-1.fc8.i386.rpm --force
    to revert back to a previous pango version, but Chromium will no longer work then.

axelth, Nov 29, 2009
  3. mrpostman

mrpostman

thanks, however - when using that terminal command as both standard user and as root, I got an error no such file or directory.

I did a search on the file system for pango, and a few results (40) showed up but couldnt find an rpm anywhere

any ideas?

mrpostman, Nov 29, 2009
  4. mrpostman

axelth

axelth, Nov 30, 2009
  5. mrpostman

mrpostman

Hmmm, I downloaded the rpm, placed it in /root and tried the command you recommended. Also tried it from the desktop too.

I was running commands as root, but after hitting enter for that terminal command the next line on the terminal went blank and stayed like that I left it a good 15 minutes) until I eventually closed off the terminal...

is my system in need of a reinstall? Or did I put the rpm in the wrong place?

I'm a linux amateur by the way so sorry if I'm missing something obvious!

mrpostman, Dec 1, 2009
Ask a Question