Pirut / yum repository issue

Discussion in 'Linux' started by thoza, Oct 31, 2008.

1. thoza

thoza

Hi All,

for the last couple of days I've been getting the: "Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again" errror message from both yum and pirut.

I first thought this might be a firewall issue at work / hotel, I've now tried it at home with the same error. I have tried yum clean all, yum update etc. but to no avail. Trying the sudy yum update fedora-release leads to the same error message.

On checking the repositories in pirut I find that they now all point to fedora9 instead of fedora8.

What do I need to do to be able to install software again?

Cheers,

thoza

thoza, Oct 31, 2008
  2. thoza

RockDoctor

You might try editing the .repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d. Change every occurrence of "$releasever" to "8" (without the quotes. Crude, but works for me when I need to go back to earlier versions of Fedora files.

RockDoctor, Oct 31, 2008
  3. thoza

thoza

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it didn't do the trick. If nobody else has a suggestion, I'll set it back to the factory settings and start fresh (last time that only took 2 hours from decision to the state I wanted it in)

Cheers,

thoza

thoza, Nov 1, 2008
  4. thoza

rbil

I've seen this happen on someone else's AAO, but couldn't determine what he might have done to get Fedora 9 packages installed. He either did a "yum update" (which should NOT be done without a package name included) or else he tried to add the livna repos by going here ... http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/ ... and mistakenly chose Fedora 9 instead of the required Fedora 8.

In any case, we couldn't find a way to correct the problem, forcing a reinstall from scratch.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 1, 2008
  5. thoza

thoza

Well, then off we go and do it again ... thanks, if there is no known solution, I don't need to keep on looking

Cheers,

Thomas

thoza, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question