Playing embedded divx in FF3

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bang, Nov 12, 2008.

1. bang

bang

Has anyone got this working to explain to me in English what to do? I've loads of plugins and VLC etc and it always wants to use the mplayer plugin and play the video in a white screen but with sound! I've done so much playing around god knows what damage I've done but am at my wits end! You may see my similar thread re ninjavideo which I love but be interested to know if there are other sites I can ge to work! Surely someone agrees what's the point of travelling with this if you can't watch divx easily!? :?:

bang, Nov 12, 2008
  2. bang

rbil

Do you know the FF3 plugins directory?

Do you still have FF2 installed?

The FF2 plugins directory is:

/usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14/plugins

If you do this:

ls -l /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14/plugins/*

... you'll see all the plugins installed for FF2. They are mainly link files, but not necessarily all of them. If you post the results of the command above, we'll see what plugins you have installed for FF2.

So the FF3 directory should be in that neighbourhood. If you can find it, post the contents of that plugins directory by cd'ing to it and doing:

ls -l

I don't have FF3 installed here, so I don't know exactly how it installed on your system.

Then it should be a simple matter of copying those links from the FF2 plugins directory to the FF3 plugins directory. At least, that would be my guess. I'm assuming that plugins for FF2 would still work for FF3. But someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 13, 2008
  3. bang

bang

Cheers mate, I got someone to test the site I always use on a new Acer with FF2 and same issue!

bang, Nov 13, 2008
Ask a Question