Playing HD video (non-flash) on AAO D250

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Yuravi, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Yuravi

Yuravi

If you're having stutter problems playing 1280x720 mp4 (H264) videos on your Acer Aspire One netbook, you may want to try the following out.

My netbook specs:
    Acer Aspire One D250
    1.66 GHz Atom CPU (no overclocking)
    1GB DDR-2 RAM @ 533MHz single-channel
    Intel GMA950 graphics
    Windows XP SP3

Here's what happened:
    I couldn't get my 1280x720 .mp4 files to play without serious stutter problems in VLC media player (ver 1.1.5). I downloaded and installed K-Lite codec pack (K-Lite_Codec_Pack_700_Full.exe) and managed to see significant improvement when playing 1280x720 .mp4 videos (in Windows Media Player 11), but there were some videos that lagged :( .

Mind if you try installing the K-Lite codec pack and report the results here?

Yuravi, Mar 24, 2011
  2. Yuravi

Swarvey Moderator

I've been using (and continuously updating) the K-Lite Mega CoDec pack for years. I even created the guide in the How-To section on how to obtain and install it.

My D250 has been playing all the video's I've thrown at it without a problem. Mind you I upgraded the RAM and OS when I first bought it, check my signature.

Swarvey, Mar 24, 2011
  3. Yuravi

Orbiting234

i despise the K-Lite pack since it's messy and never uninstalls cleanly. A far better codec pack is the Combined Community Codec Pack. I and vast number of other people swear by it as it's very clean, plays everything under the sun, and is overall better than the K-Lite junk in just about every way.

However, as you have noticed, even with either codec pack not every HS video is perfectly smooth. CoreAVC however (which is unfortunately a paid codec) is the fastest H264 codec on the market and definitely improves HD video playback on netbooks once configured.

Orbiting234, Mar 28, 2011
Ask a Question