Playing RuneScape on the AA1!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by oscariano, Dec 15, 2008.

1. oscariano

oscariano

First of all, I should mention that I'm the happy owner of 2 AA1s, one with Windows, and the other with Linpus Linux. Since I bought the Windows one, I've been able to play a MMORPG called RuneScape, but I wasn't able to play it on the Linux one.

A bit of background on RS...
    It is a browser game based on Java. Basically it has two view modes: classic and high definition. HD mode uses OpenGL to display 3D gfx.

I've managed to get the classic mode running, so I decided to share it with you (maybe you can even tell me how to enable the HD mode)
    Recently, I was wondering how could I play on the Linux one... (you know, it loads soo fast, and its getting harder to decide which one to use on a daily basis) So I thought it would help if I updated the FF version. It didn't work, but then I updated the Java runtime too! Now its working on classic mode. Basically I followed these 2 guides, which are very simple and straightforward:
    1) http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/inst ... e-one.html
    2) http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/09/inst ... e-one.html

I also made a small video (well, its intended for a contest... so please visit it xDD) which shows how good RS runs on the Windows netbook... A brief comparison of the boot times of my Linpus netbook vs my desktop with WinXP. And a "sudden FALL" of my netbook; it managed to survive! (hehe, ya, it was planned, but still... its soo lightweight that the stunt was soo easy to accomplish, also the SSD has tempted me to threat this tiny laptop more rudely xD) So if you want to see my video (i get more chances of winning with more views!) and its worth watching (I hope).... visit it at It lasts less than 3 mins...

Ok... now back on topic :), I was wondering if sum1 could help me installing OpenGL on my Linpus AA1, or any similar package. As I've mentioned before, RuneScape uses it for its HD mode.

Thanks in advance!
    Oscar

oscariano, Dec 15, 2008
Ask a Question