Please Close -2.6.28-rc8 Kernel Image and Headers.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SlCKB0Y, Dec 1, 2008.

1. SlCKB0Y

figvam

Re: UPDATED-2.6.28-rc8 Kernel Image and Headers. 100% Working

I just used make-kpkg to build the packages, so it's either a bug in the debian scripts (make-kpkg and its ilk) or in the kernel itself. I'm not sure how to fix it correctly.

It depends on what architecture you are running. I compiled for i386 architecture so if you have the same, that option isn't needed. If you are using LPIA (as in Ubuntu Netbook Remix 1.01 image), you wouldn't be able to install the packages without that option.

figvam, Jan 3, 2009
  2. SlCKB0Y

xtr.eme

Yeah from a quick google search it looks like it has been a bug in debian in the recent past. It looks like it has been fixed before but maybe has come back for this kernel. I guess we'll have to sit it out until someone who knows more can try to fix it. Maybe a different version of make-kpkg would fix it?

xtr.eme

xtr.eme, Jan 3, 2009
  3. SlCKB0Y

klrf

great work. Thanks.
    but could you post you config? i'd like to add the parts for crypted devices..

EDIT: Got it. just had to copy it from /boot..

klrf, Jan 3, 2009
  4. SlCKB0Y

fiftyclick

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but I found an easy way to get madwifi compiling under 2.6.28 kernels -- or rather a solution to the Makefile_32.cpu error.

Simply download a copy of the kernel source code, and copy it into your headers folder.

Code:
    sudo su
    cd /usr/src/
    wget [url]http://kernel.mirror.rafal.ca/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.28.tar.bz2[/url]
    tar xvjf linux-2.6.28.tar.bz2
    cp linux-2.6.28/* linux-headers-2.6.28aa1/ -r
    rm linux-2.6.28/ -r && rm linux-2.6.28.tar.bz2
    Now madwifi will compile without any errors at all. This should work with the new 2.6.28 kernel images, but might even work with SICKBOY's 2.6.28-rc8 kernels.

fiftyclick, Jan 3, 2009
  5. SlCKB0Y

xtr.eme

i will try it now. thanks

xtr.eme, Jan 3, 2009
  6. SlCKB0Y

tomt

There are no new features in the 2.6.28 release kernel, just a bunch of bug fixes on top of RC8 and RC9.[/quote]

So should I stick to Sickboy's or change to this ??
    Thanks

tomt, Jan 3, 2009
  7. SlCKB0Y

xtr.eme

So should I stick to Sickboy's or change to this ??
    Thanks[/quote]

I think we're all a bit confused about which kernel is which!

There's the stock 2.6.27 kernel, which comes preinstalled with ubuntu

Then there's the stock 2.6.28 kernel, which includes a bunch of bug fixes not necessarily related to the aspire one

There's Sickboy's 2.6.28 kernel, which strips out bits of the kernel not needed in the aspire one, thereby improving boot time

Then there's figvam's kernel, which adds a few extra modules for ext4 filesystem etc. This kernel does not feature any performance increases over Sickboy's as far as i know.

So basically, install either Sickboy or figvam's kernel as they have better boot times and work better with wifi etc.

xtr.eme, Jan 3, 2009
  8. SlCKB0Y

iandotcom

I don't mean to go off topic here, but is anyone having any issues with the sound when headphones are plugged in. The headphones do produce sound, but the netbooks internal speakers don't shut off.

I've had this problem with the latest sickboy kernel, and with the kernel uploaded by figvam. I've tried putting different kinds of option lines into the ALSA configuration file. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

iandotcom, Jan 3, 2009
  9. SlCKB0Y

seeklinux

OK, I tried the steps fiftyclick suggested for being able to compile the madwifi driver and that worked! So I blacklisted ath5k and restarted and it connected fine, although I am not sure the signal strength is quite as strong. But I added the entries to sysctl for the LEDs and now the wifi LEDs are blinking as well. I am using the figvam kernel.

Looking better all the time.

seeklinux, Jan 3, 2009
  10. SlCKB0Y

jbesada

No news on usbserial module support (or info to compile it myself)?

I am currently using SICKBOY, but it would be so great to include 3g support ...

Sorry for my insistence ...

jbesada, Jan 4, 2009
  11. SlCKB0Y

figvam

The kernel I've uploaded includes support for the generic USB serial devices:
    CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=m
    CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC=y

figvam, Jan 4, 2009
  12. SlCKB0Y

jbesada

Thanks

Now I have a dilemma. Sickboy has CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME=y enabling for suspension with the SD card mounted, while figvam has usbserial support, enabling me to use my 3g stick.

There are many more differences between both config files, so I do not know if all important properties of Sickboy's remain in figvam's.

If you could give me some advice on how to perform the retrieval of the source code and the compilation on my own, I would solve it in a few hours.

jbesada, Jan 4, 2009
  13. SlCKB0Y

Casao

Hi figvam,

Does your kernel include Broadcom driver support, for those of us with the broadcom wifi card?

Thanks

Casao, Jan 4, 2009
  14. SlCKB0Y

xtr.eme

My madwifi works perfectly too after copying the kernel source. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this,

I had to blacklist ath5k in /usr/modprobe.d/blacklist and reboot to get it to work. I then added the lines to rc.local detailed in the ubuntu aspire one page, and think I have kill switch working. I decided against the blinking light as it annoyed me, but the left hand light would be good to show when wifi is on/off. I don't know how to do this.

xtr.eme, Jan 4, 2009
  15. SlCKB0Y

celerity

I just installed UNR with Sickboy's kernel. Works great! However, I had some problems with wireless, I discovered that if you accidentally modify the preferences in Administration --> Networking the internet stops working. In other words, only use the taskbar wireless button to avoid conflict.

By the way, is the default UNR image using swap? I have a feeling my SSD disk is working all the time and that slows my computer down. Anyone triend to disable swap or moving to a flash card? May it give a performance boost? I sort of experience that UNR works quite slow on AA1.

celerity, Jan 4, 2009
  16. SlCKB0Y

dok

This kernel seems very interesting !
    But, I'm a linux newbie and I'm afraid I just don't know how to install this kernel, even after reading these 20 pages.

Is it OK to install Sickboy's kernel with this HOWTO from ubuntuforums.org ? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=56835
    It seems yes, but you know sometimes we have to be more than 100% sure.

dok, Jan 4, 2009
  17. SlCKB0Y

exwannabe

Very easy.

Download "linux.2.6.28.tar.gz" from kernel.org
    untar into your home directory (not /usr/src as in the old days)
    make mrproper ( not needed, but I always do it out of habit)
    If you want to start with either stick's or figvam's setup, copy in their .config
    make menuconfig
    fakeroot make-mkpkg --append-version=<kernel-sub-version> --revision=<packge-build-revision> kernel_image --initrd binary

The make-kpgk takes care of all the steps of kernel building / modules / initrd / packaging

There is no reason I know of to use .rc8 now that 6.28 has been released.

exwannabe, Jan 4, 2009
  18. SlCKB0Y

Casao

Thank you for this, but it's not working. None of the make config things are working - menuconfig wants ncurses-devel (a package apt-get doesn't recognize) while gconfig and xconfig want gtk+ and qt development branches installed. I'm running a stock ubuntu setup, and I haven't fucked around with it. Could you provide a solution, as I'm not finding one.

Casao, Jan 4, 2009
  19. SlCKB0Y

exwannabe

I am a little puzzled on the ncurses-devel issue. Try libncurses5-dev along with ncurses-base and ncurses-bin. I do not see any ncurses-dev in Synaptic, so I suspect this is an incorrect message you are getting.

Once you get past this you will need the kernel build packages. I forget their names but hopefully they will be correctly Id'd as nedeed.

exwannabe, Jan 5, 2009
  20. SlCKB0Y

Casao

Thanks, that was the right package name.

I also grabbed kernel-package, which has make-kpkg.

Also, it's --append-to-version not --append-version.

Building a copy of Sickboy's config on the 28 stable w/ Broadcom drivers, will post it when I get it together for anyone who wants it.

Casao, Jan 5, 2009
Ask a Question