Please Close -2.6.28-rc8 Kernel Image and Headers.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SlCKB0Y, Dec 1, 2008.

1. SlCKB0Y

dok

dok, Jan 6, 2009
  2. SlCKB0Y

mikespug

Re: UPDATED-2.6.28-rc8 Kernel Image and Headers. 100% Working

Unless I'm mistaken even if the module for the broadcom chip is built into the kernel when compiled, the firmware still needs to be loaded at boot. The same goes for intel based cards...well...at least the 3945 and 4965. Try this post and see if it might steer you in the right direction and get things going for you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ode=linear

mikespug, Jan 7, 2009
  3. SlCKB0Y

marklmurray

Well, the boot option line didn't work, so I re-compiled as a module and added the debug_quirks=1 into the file in /etc/modprobe.d/ and that did the trick!

Thanks so much RockDoctor! All that's left now is to downgrade my bios from 3309 so acerfand will start working again.

marklmurray, Jan 7, 2009
  4. SlCKB0Y

Casao

It won't show drivers available as they're pre-installed in the kernel. What broadcom card do you have? It's working fine for me with the Dell b/g card.

I'm recompiling with the SDHC fix right now, and I went ahead and included the only other Broadcom package I see, the b43 Legacy. Assuming this works when it's finished, I'll pass it on once again and we can see if it works.

Casao, Jan 7, 2009
  5. SlCKB0Y

MrNiceguy

I have the Broadcom 4311. If you're using Broadcom options in the kernel, you're using the open-source driver that the OS community managed to reverse engineer, as opposed to the proprietary one enabled by the Hardware Drivers applet. Part of the problem I've run into is that there are so many different ways to try to get Broadcom Wifi cards working.

I think this is the source of my problem. Using the B43 kernel module requires loading the firmware. I'll strike off in that direction and see if I get anywhere. Thanks everyone for the help and the quick responses.

MrNiceguy, Jan 7, 2009
  6. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

OK,

Ive been out of action for the last week as I have been in hospital. I crashed my motorbike and stripped my knee down to the bone. Im home now but currently wasted on heavy duty pain killers.

Tonight I will try and get my aspire one running, either by getting the hard drive working, or by changing back to the original drive (ugggh)

To do list:

Compile from released kernel.
    integrate some things from figrams kernel
    add sdhc stuff in as a module
    add optional mad wifi deb
    add serialusb stuff for 3g usb

ANY OTHER REQUESTS?

SlCKB0Y, Jan 7, 2009
  7. SlCKB0Y

Casao

Broadcom (b43) wireless support. Barring that, if you could release the .config along with the debs of this, I could do it and it would be greatly appreciated.

Casao, Jan 7, 2009
  8. SlCKB0Y

Casao

Ah, yes, then I think I might see what happened, while running sickboy's kernel I used apt-get to install the broadcom drivers, which grabbed the firmware too. I guess that carried over to the recompiled kernel.

Couldn't get sdhci working, recompiled it as a module and added the debug quirks to my modprobe config but still no go with the card, so I'm not gonna bother releasing it. If you want Broadcom, the aaobroadcom kernel linked back on the top of page 21 is still your best bet, though you might have to plug into an ethernet port and apt-get b43-fwcutter, which I believe will auto download the proper firmware. Could also be installed while on the stock kernel and should work once you've switched to aaobroadcom.

Casao, Jan 7, 2009
  9. SlCKB0Y

tomt

Cheers Is this a known issue or is it only my 3 acer's that are doing this ???

tomt, Jan 7, 2009
  10. SlCKB0Y

marklmurray

Does your config still disable HIMEM support? I've just been using your config file as a base and compiling my own because I'd upgraded the memory (to 1.5M) and without this I wouldn't see all of it. I may be in the minority though and I'm not sure how much overhead this adds.

marklmurray, Jan 7, 2009
  11. SlCKB0Y

hillsoft

I would like to see Device Mapper support added. Not sure if it can be compiled into the kernel, or if it will need to be modules. I think one of the items needed can be compiled into the kernel at least. I will link and quote the info from macles website on this. By the way this is so a program like Truecrypt can work.

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/inst ... e-one.html

hillsoft, Jan 7, 2009
  12. SlCKB0Y

RockDoctor

Start a new thread. :mrgreen: This thread is rather long and unwieldy.

And thanks for all the work you've done. It's very much appreciated

RockDoctor, Jan 7, 2009
  13. SlCKB0Y

jango

I found this:

can you try this SlCKB0Y....

jango, Jan 7, 2009
  14. SlCKB0Y

brentn

I have heard that by getting rid of the initrd file (ie. compiling stuff you actually need for booting directly into the kernel) you can speed up boot times. Have you tried this?

brentn, Jan 7, 2009
  15. SlCKB0Y

MrNiceguy

Everything seems to be working now - I tried a few things, including installing the b43-fwcutter. Wasn't really getting anywhere, but I checked in the "Hardware Drivers" applet and it showed the B43 driver available. When I enabled it, (which I assume was actually downloading the proprietary firmware,) I got working wireless.

Sound is also working perfectly, before and after suspend. Card slots seem to be working fine, though a card in the right slot is unmounted on suspend, then re-detected and re-mounted on wakeup. Haven't tested with anything other than SD cards.

Can you post your config please?

MrNiceguy, Jan 7, 2009
  16. SlCKB0Y

mbaran

Can a kernel compiled under ARCH be used to run on an Ubuntu machine?

**kernel noob**

mbaran, Jan 7, 2009
  17. SlCKB0Y

RockDoctor

Don't know about Arch and Ubuntu, but I've used kernels compiled under one distro on another with mixed success. You can certainly try it - just don't remove your old kernel before verifying that the new one works. You'll probably need to install the new kernel manually, and (manually) reconfigure /boot/grub/menu.lst to offer the new kernel as an option

RockDoctor, Jan 7, 2009
  18. SlCKB0Y

marklmurray

I downloaded and applied the patches referenced in the above arch forum thread and recompiled. I didn't leave Linpus on my AA1 long enough to remember how the Leds acted, but it looks like the right one flashes with network activity, so I guess they work.

Now, after having downgraded the Bios to 3305, I truly do have a kernel that's "100% working".

marklmurray, Jan 7, 2009
  19. SlCKB0Y

xtr.eme

Only other thing I can think of is to play around with the drivers for the GMA 950 graphics card to try to get better video performance - i believe this is what is slowing mine down at the moment with videos/games. Unfortunately I have no idea how video drivers work on linux - I know there is a driver for the GMA 950 on the intel site. This would only be if no-one knows the cause of the problems with flash videos at the moment?

I disagree with putting broadcom in the main kernel as not everyone needs it - perhaps a separate version?

Many thanks for all the work,

xtr.eme

Other than that

xtr.eme, Jan 7, 2009
  20. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

It supports highmem. Sorry, I noticed about 10 mins after i installed the very first version that this was lacking.

SlCKB0Y, Jan 8, 2009
Ask a Question