Please Close -2.6.28-rc8 Kernel Image and Headers.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SlCKB0Y, Dec 1, 2008.

1. SlCKB0Y

riot

Re: UPDATED-2.6.28-rc7 Kernel Image and Headers. 100% Working

I measure from what the bootchart program tells me. That way it's a program timing the boot and no human error. Also, the exact numbers aren't important to me yet but rather the relativity of which kernel will boot the fastest and save the most power for me.

riot, Dec 12, 2008
  2. SlCKB0Y

riot

Reposting final scores: Wifi enabled, screen lowest brightness

Lpia kernel (UNR Image default):
    Boot time: 25s
    powertop: 10.1w

Sickboy kernel (UNR Image/Hardy):
    Boot time: 14s
    powertop: 9.0w (EDIT: My previous report of 10.1w was without the rc.local power tweaks)

-----
    Intrepid Ibex kernel 2.26.27-9-generic
    Boot time: 37s
    powertop: N/A

Sickboy Kernel (Intrepid)
    Boot time: 19s
    powertop: 9.4w

eeepc-lean kernel (Intrepid)
    Boot time: 31s
    powertop: 9.9w (Also had a bug about CONFIG_TIMER_STATS kernel option in powertop not being enabled, thus no detailed statistics provided)

-----------
    The above is based on boot time and power usage. I haven't tested any hardware compatibility issues between them. My favorite is definitely the UNR image with SICKBOY's custom kernel on top. It feels snappy running regular tasks and no bugs. I ran into an issue with Intrepid where gnome-power-manager acts up and slows the rest of the system to a crawl. Simply clicking the logout button takes 30 seconds for the window to appear. EcrpytFS also failed for me. Only downside to UNR is Hardy repositories.

riot, Dec 12, 2008
  3. SlCKB0Y

leak

Hi, this post has brought up some nice ideas.
    I will use them to improve kuki if you dont mind :)
    Also thank you hardran3 for the nice work.
    If any of you guys are interested in working with me just pm or mail ;)

Kind Regards.

leak, Dec 12, 2008
  4. SlCKB0Y

samguyjones

If Kuki can run Heron apps and runs the UNR extensions (the UME launcher, maximizer and go-home app) and has Sickboy's kernel fixes, I'm definitely going to give it a shot. (You can summarize 75% of my posts here as "I'm lazy. Set up my netbook for me.")

samguyjones, Dec 12, 2008
  5. SlCKB0Y

hardran3

I would like to thank sickboy for his improvements, and making these .debs. Also, I cannot take all the credit because I used N6546R's config and made a few changes to it to get my kernel config. So a big thanks to everyone involved. This shows why free open OS's are a better choice than closed systems. I am keeping a close eye on Kuki, too :) I would love to help, even though my Linux knowledge is rather limited.

I would like to compile a few more drivers a modules. One post on this thread mentions bluetooth and WWAN modems. I have none to test unfortunately. I think the best way to do it would be have AAO built in hardware compiled into the kernel, while keeping hardware you can add as modules (Bluetooth, WWAN etc.). My time is limited these days as I work in retail sales and it is the Commercial Bonanza Season, otherwise known as Christmas, so I am a bit busy, but will help when I can.

hardran3, Dec 12, 2008
  6. SlCKB0Y

Guest Guest

Not a bad effort. Boots quite fast :)

Oh, and it looks like NFS support is missing. I'm not sure if stripping file systems from the kernel is such a good idea. I use NFS to interface my AAO with my file server. Also, it's not uncommon to plug a USB HDD into an AAO (in particular an NTFS one). I think I saw NTFS disabled in your config.

Oh, and has anyone extracted the kernel config from Linpus? I reckon that'd be a good cross-reference.

Guest, Dec 13, 2008
  7. SlCKB0Y

leak

Any help is really appreciated. :)

leak, Dec 13, 2008
  8. SlCKB0Y

jango

What about bluethoof support, i neded so much, i really appreciated. :)

Thanks

jango, Dec 13, 2008
  9. SlCKB0Y

2manydjs

Are those actual boot times, or just what bootchart shows you?
    When I include everything in my boot time, it's about 15-20 secs longer than what bootchart shows me. (includes Acer boot screen and Gnome fully loaded)

2manydjs, Dec 13, 2008
  10. SlCKB0Y

businessteam

Hi folks. I would like to share some experience with my AAO. I have Intrepid on 110L and have installed this 2.6.28-rc7 kernel. When booting to this one I run glxgears, and it gives me around 360FPS. I then boot with 2.6.27.10 kernel and it gives me 540FPS. I have made the customizations from the wiki. Anyone can confirm on this?

businessteam, Dec 13, 2008
  11. SlCKB0Y

riot

Just what bootchart reads. I was showing which kernel is the fastest to boot regardless of actual "ready to use" time. I'll take a stopwatch to it when I get some time and post the actually ready time.
    Also as a side note, installing this kernel on Hardy without being able to install the headers has come back to bite me in the ass when it comes time to compile something :D.

riot, Dec 14, 2008
  12. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

OK,

I've finished my university exams now, but the monitor just blew on the computer I was using to build these kernels :shock:

But i've got a list of things to do:
    Add in modules for bluetooth
    Add in modules for filesystem support
    Investigate an issue with gfx performance/flash performance
    Investigate building for LPIA so --force-architecture isnt needed.

Any other requests?

SlCKB0Y, Dec 14, 2008
  13. SlCKB0Y

hillsoft

Not sure if filesystem support entails the device-mapper support issue.

Truecrypt works when I boot the stock 8.04 kernel on my AA1. I get the error about device-mapper not being in the kernel when using your kernel.

Also curious if you have any thoughts on why the headers wont install for me. I get the error about libc6 dependency not met, but if I try to install libc6 apt-get tells me I already have it.

Not sure if this is an issue with my Ubuntu 8.04 versus the 8.10 your using, or if the lack of the headers being installed on my system is the issue with truecrypt.

What exactly is the headers archive for?

Thanks for all you do putting this kernel together.

hillsoft, Dec 14, 2008
  14. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

Of course the issue is due to 8.10 vs 8.04.1. I mentioned this in the first post.

As for the other issue, im sorry but unless you tell me the specific options which need to be enabled, im not going to be able to do it for truecrypt

SlCKB0Y, Dec 14, 2008
  15. SlCKB0Y

hillsoft

Well your first post stated in the update you didn't think they would work with 8.04. The only mention of 8.04.1 I saw in your first post was where you said the kernel would work with it and may not with 8.10 (obviously before you switched to 8.10 xubuntu)

I had seen reports from others they were using your kernel with 8.04.01 so I figured I would go ahead and try it too. Don't remember anyone saying they could install the kernel no problem, but not the headers on 8.04.1. So sorry if I missed that.

As for how to enable device-mapper support. I am not sure. Will have to check into that.

Sorry to trouble you. I won't bother you anymore with my specific issues though. I will just build a new kernel on my system.

hillsoft, Dec 14, 2008
  16. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

I think you misunderstand me, I'm just asking if you know what kernel options i need to enable because i really have absolutely no idea what I would need to do for that and no way of testing it.

SlCKB0Y, Dec 14, 2008
  17. SlCKB0Y

oddy

Hey guys!

I am currently working on a custom kernel (2.6.28-rc8) based on SICKBOY's config... Adding bluetooth support, intel atom optimizations and some other stuff that was missing. Going to upload as soon as I'm done compiling and testing it.

Thanks SICKBOY for the hard work you've done so far! ;)

oddy, Dec 14, 2008
  18. SlCKB0Y

Abreu

I love this kernel, sound works and it boots faster. However the wifi card is not working and I can't install ath5k, madwifi or ndiswrapper... none of the instructions in the Ubuntu site work! :cry:

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it working... pardon my newbiness! lol :lol: :oops:

Sickboy you are the man!! Thanks a lot!

Abreu, Dec 14, 2008
  19. SlCKB0Y

Thinkey

My Webcam won't work in cheese (what i used to test it) - can anyone help me out with this? I'd like to get it working...

Left SD card picks up automatically, right SD card won't but does work when inserted on boot.
    Sound works fine..internal mic and plug in-mic works fine (difference in sound slightely, but hey i was able to tell the differnece at least)

Any help on the webcam for now would be great, thanks. Seems to be the only thing that is always failing for me :(

Thinkey, Dec 14, 2008
  20. SlCKB0Y

jango

Did you try with skype?

jango, Dec 14, 2008
Ask a Question