Please Close -2.6.28-rc8 Kernel Image and Headers.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SlCKB0Y, Dec 1, 2008.

1. SlCKB0Y

Thinkey

Re: UPDATED-2.6.28-rc7 Kernel Image and Headers. 100% Working

in skype i get a "problem with audio playback" error when i try to connect to a friend.

and in the video settingsi have a "no video device found" for skype

although the sound does work..

Thinkey, Dec 14, 2008
  2. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

blank

SlCKB0Y, Dec 15, 2008
  3. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

New Update - Check first message.

SlCKB0Y, Dec 15, 2008
  4. SlCKB0Y

tyma

Re: UPDATED-2.6.28-rc8 Kernel Image and Headers. 100% Working

I know it's a pain, but could anybody link a guide to installing madwifi on a fresh installation (just xubuntu and this kernel).

I've searched and searched, but I have no idea which of the various tutorials is the most recent, or relevant :(

tyma, Dec 15, 2008
  5. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

Before using this download, just keep in mind that I uploaded the latest kernel just before i went to work with no testing and no QA

BEWARE.

SlCKB0Y, Dec 15, 2008
  6. SlCKB0Y

und0

It's explained in the MadWifi documentation provided with the sources. I never tried using this thread provided kernel headers (and I don't trust binary code I randomly find on the net ^__^;) as is dead simple to create a kernel package the Debian way (kernel-package).

Anyway, if you compile your kernel (maybe using Sickboy ".config" if you want) when the build ends "cd" to the MadWifi extracted sources dir, export the KERNELPATH env variable with the path where your kernel source reside (something like "export KERNELPATH=../linux-2.6.27") and launch "make". To install the binary modules, you specify the destination path exporting DESTDIR and then you "make install", but as I compiled both (kernel and MadWifi) on a different box, I simply copied the .ko binaries to the "/lib/modules/running_kernel/kernel/net/" dir on the AAO, naturally after installing the new kernel. Finally a "depmod" on the running AAO, but I don't recall if it was necessary, probably it doesn't hurt.

Keep in mind this is not a real clean solution (I mean the part about copying the files on "/lib/modules/running_kernel/kernel/net/") as on a Debian system the user is supposed to modify files only in his home or in "/usr/local" all the other files/dirs are managed by the packet manager (dpkg), but I'll probably remember that after removing/purging my custom made kernel package I also should manually remove the installed MadWifi drivers (yeah, I know about "module-assistant")... (*^-^)

und0, Dec 15, 2008
  7. SlCKB0Y

samguyjones

Power Consumption

Forgive me if I'm being dumb, but I had the impression that the main advantage of compiling for lpia rather than 686 was that power use was better on lpia. I thought I saw someone on this thread say that the Sickboy kernel used about a tenth less power than the UNR install, though the Sickboy kernel isn't lpia.

And while I'm on the subject, can someone explain why the Sickboy kernel isn't lpia? Is lpia harder to do or are there advantages to not compiling for that architecture?

Also, let me know if you still need a mirror to serve the Sickboy kernel debs.

samguyjones, Dec 15, 2008
  8. SlCKB0Y

fozzya

The same problem. :( Try to set HDA Intel instead of Default Device in audio settings. Output is working for me, but not mic.

[UPD] It works! =) With rc8 kernel. Try to use alsamixer in terminal to set capture level to 100. Then
    Code:
    sudo alsactl store
    Audio&video works properly. :geek:
    But I still need kernel support for my 3G USB modem and USB2serial adapter. :twisted:

fozzya, Dec 15, 2008
  9. SlCKB0Y

finnbakk

Looks like almost everything works great with this kernel. I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 Ultra-mobile PC USB image and Netb. Remix.
    But strange the right card can't get mounted. Thought I had done everything according to the wiki, but no. Can anyone give me a lead?

finnbakk, Dec 15, 2008
  10. SlCKB0Y

riot

I did some new charting this morning. This spot lights the new Eeebuntu release. The first two entries below are using the default installed custom "Array" Eeebuntu kernel.

Eeebuntu 8.10 - NBR - default install
    Bootchart - 37s
    powertop - 9.1w

Eeebuntu w/ Aspire wiki optimizations applied
    Bootchart - 34s
    powertop - 8.8w

Eeebuntu - wiki optimize - Sickboy/hardran newest kernel
    Bootchart - 18s
    powertop - 8.7w

And with that, I have a new winner! Though it may be 4 seconds slower to boot than Ubuntu Netbook Remix image + Sickboy kernel, it comes on top of 8.10 Ibex so kernel headers install fine. It also sees a slight power consumtion improvement after rc.local & powertop optimizations are put in. Eeebuntu also has a much better theme than Human, all out blue, and a better default top panel. At this point I would just like to see Gnome itself boot up faster. Personally I'm going to see what Jaunty Jackalope brings as that one supposed to have boot times as a bullet note.

The only downside to the Eeebuntu setup is the Eeebuntu splash :p It almost feels like blasphemy having that pop up on my AAO, but I guess it could be changed. (Not that it's hideous though)

riot, Dec 15, 2008
  11. SlCKB0Y

riot

It's missing the Makefile_32.cpu file in /usr/src/.../arch/x86/. Stops there for compiling anything.

riot, Dec 16, 2008
  12. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

I am having a problem with my own kernel and cant seem to work out what it is! (not that ive had much time to check)

It seems I cant watch flash movies at a viewable speed. Is anyone else having this issue, or does anyone know why this might be? I mean in terms of kernel options I might have left out?

It's pissing me off, im sick of not being able to watch por... er you tube :D

SlCKB0Y, Dec 16, 2008
  13. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

Yes it is. Blame kernel package - It's broken

SlCKB0Y, Dec 16, 2008
  14. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

Re: Power Consumption

Because sickboy doesnt know how to compile for lpia... im sure if someone told him how to, or pointed him to some documentation, he could compile an lpia kernel

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7629

See, i already asked and no one seemed to know.

SlCKB0Y, Dec 16, 2008
  15. SlCKB0Y

samguyjones

How much stuff runs? Does Eeebuntu + sickboy work with wifi, sound, webcam, SD card and mic? Does it hibernate and recover?

samguyjones, Dec 16, 2008
  16. SlCKB0Y

stevo

The header problems seemed to have been fixed in Debian Lenny version of kernel-package--at least the kernels I've built using it have working headers. Is that deb installable in Ubuntu? I'm using a mostly Lenny based distro, Mepis 8.0 beta.

stevo, Dec 16, 2008
  17. SlCKB0Y

riot

Actually after further tinkering I found the webcam doesn't come up in Cheese. Sound including headset detect and mic worked for me. Suspend worked, didn't try hibernate cause it's generally accepted as useless. Don't have any SD cards to test. I'm now continuing my quest for the slickest setup. Next up I'm doing a minimal Ubuntu net install to try and kill the sloth monster that is ubuntu-desktop.

riot, Dec 16, 2008
  18. SlCKB0Y

bohdan200

SICKBOY

Can You please provide a archive with working madwifi drivers? I mean compiled .ko binary files. My compiled files does not work, they could not be loaded because of incorrect 'version magic'.
    Thanks!

bohdan200, Dec 16, 2008
  19. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

May I ask why you want madwifi?

SlCKB0Y, Dec 17, 2008
  20. SlCKB0Y

fozzya

Why do you need madwifi? ath5k works fine out of the box.

2SICKBOY Tnx for your work. I've compiled my kernel with your .config, I've just added support for 3G usb modem (cdc_acm). Now I'm pretty nice ultra mobile aa1 user ;)

fozzya, Dec 17, 2008
Ask a Question