Please Close -2.6.28-rc8 Kernel Image and Headers.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SlCKB0Y, Dec 1, 2008.

1. SlCKB0Y

mbaran

Re: UPDATED-2.6.28-rc8 Kernel Image and Headers. 100% Working

thats exactly it. Can this be recompiled with SDHC support. I don't have a regular SD card to test with, but I'd love to use this kernel.

-Matt

mbaran, Dec 26, 2008
  2. SlCKB0Y

hillsoft

This kernel works fine with my SDHC cards.

hillsoft, Dec 26, 2008
  3. SlCKB0Y

marklmurray

I think its supposed to have sdhc support (witness hillsofts post), so I'm not sure what other config options would help. Maybe we can take a poll and find out what it is about our setups that prevent our SDHC cards from being recognized.

I have only one SDHC card. It's an 8GB "Class 6" card - I don't know much about the SDHC format, but I think the "Class" designation refers to the speed of the card.

Matt and hillsoft, what are the details of your sdhc cards (size and class)? Maybe there's a clue there.

marklmurray, Dec 26, 2008
  4. SlCKB0Y

hillsoft

My cards are Transcend Class 6 SDHC cards. 8GB

Running Ubuntu 8.04.1 with sickboys kernel. During Ubuntu install I did not do any of the memory card tweaks listed. At the time I didn't care about SD card support. I just added sickboys kernel awhile back and just got around to testing my SDHC cards and they worked fine in both slots. Had both in at one time and was able to use them fine. Gnome detects them and mounts them automatically.

"uname -r" reports

2.6.28-rc7-ultimate

So it looks like I don't have rc8 installed. I think when it was posted, I didn't see any real need to upgrade yet. Not sure if that is part of the problem others are having.

hillsoft, Dec 26, 2008
  5. SlCKB0Y

marklmurray

Class 6 too - no help there. I've had no luck with SDHC cards since rc6. I may experiment with undoing the memory card tweaks, but that would seem to defy logic since SDHC cards work with the tweaks just fine with the stock kernel.

It's a mystery.

marklmurray, Dec 26, 2008
  6. SlCKB0Y

rick

Well, yours isn't the only one that denies logic... My wifi decided to stop working again. This is the second time it's worked fine, and then after I let the AAO sit for a bit, it suddenly stops.

iwconfig shows wlan0 with lots of zeros, and I'm getting this: "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable" when I run "sudo ifconfig wlan0 up". Any ideas?

As much as I love ubuntu, if I can't get wifi working, it's off to another distro.

Edit: After letting it sit for a few hours while I went to dinner with the family, I come home, boot it up, and bam. Wifi works. This is starting to get to me. I don't mind problems that are straightforward, it's this kind-of-not-really thing that's bugging me so much. We'll see what happens...

rick, Dec 26, 2008
  7. SlCKB0Y

eruhuan

As for the SDHC card issue. i have to SDHC cards class 6 one is 16gb and the other is 8gb.

I have bserved the following things with regards to this
    1. As for sickboy's kernel rc7 and rc8 (i havent tried previous versions) only the 16gb SDHC card would be recognized.
    2. It does not matter if the 16gb card is placed on either the (L) or (R) card readers
    3. The 8gb would not be recognized regardless on whether its placed on the (L) or (R) card reader
    4. I did not have these problems on Hadran's config and NS6450 102208 snapshot kernel of 6.27.8
    5. It does not matter if i performed the SD card tweaks or not, no difference in performance is observed

I hope i may have contributed some information with regards to this post,
    :roll:

PS,
    I really like sickboy's kernel but is inability to read my 8gb SDHC cards (and the other user's posts) is a big let down :(
    Im looking forward for updates with regards to fixing this issue.

PS

Season's greetings and Merry Christmas, hehe :D

eruhuan, Dec 26, 2008
  8. SlCKB0Y

edkmho

i have installed the rc8 kernel and have not encountered any serious problem. I hope not. Anyway, i have a problem with hibernating. It does not work at all. When i select hibernate, it will perform the postfix configuration and then straight back to the wake up screen asking for password. After that, the power led will be orange color and blinking all the time.

By the way, do i need to change anything to get the hibernation working?

please help, thanks.

edkmho, Dec 26, 2008
  9. SlCKB0Y

mbaran

Mine has problems with my 16GB SDHC card, where a stock 8.10 kernel does not.

I don't have a smaller SDHC to test with, or I would. I did get suspend working with 8.10 and it does not kill all the data on my SDHC card though, which is good..

-Matt

mbaran, Dec 26, 2008
  10. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

UPDATE:

Sorry guys, I have been really busy with a number of things. Firstly, my desktop I was using to build these kernels had the monitor die on me. Shortly after my toshiba hard drive in my one started clicking and now it is not recognised at all. Basically I dont have a functional computer right now.

I think I need a new zif cable to put in. I found some which are 5.5cm long, but they are not long enough to comfortably fit, I think I need something between 7cm and 10cm in length for a toshiba drive, but cant seem to see any on ebay.

If this doesnt work then I guess my HD has died. :(

SlCKB0Y, Dec 27, 2008
  11. SlCKB0Y

enki

I had a weird problem that I found a semi-solution to, but figured I would see if anyone else had the same problem.
    I have an AAO using Sickboy's kernel, and utilizing all the Ubuntu forum mods w/8.10. It works great. Everything seems to be working (I haven't tested Bluetooth). But I ran into a problem with Firefox 3. I noticed some weird bugs. My reload and back buttons didn't work. I couldn't save bookmarks. Also, if I clicked on a link, the url in the address bar would not update. I tried reinstalling FF3 about 3 times. Tried changing the cache settings back to normal (from /tmp/firefox on a tmpfs mount). I tried a lot of fixes, and finally gave up. I uninstalled 3 and installed Firefox 2 (from the hardy repository), and everything is working fine now. I heard that FF3 has some weird DB problems, and figured it might have something to do with it. Anyone else notice the same bugs?

enki, Dec 27, 2008
  12. SlCKB0Y

geekyhawkes

sickboy great job with this!

Strangely my webcam doesnt appear to be working. I have tried it with several applications with no luck. any ideas?

geekyhawkes, Dec 27, 2008
  13. SlCKB0Y

RockDoctor

Have not seen this problem. I'm posting from FF-3.05 running Jaunty Jackalope updated 10 minutes ago with an LXDE desktop and sickboy's kernel

RockDoctor, Dec 28, 2008
  14. SlCKB0Y

iandotcom

I'm really glad I found this, the startup speed is amazing and hopefully it'll resolve all the annoyances us AAO been having.

Any chance I can just clarify a few things.. what's the link to the latest files for the kernel... just to make sure I'm using the latest version of the kernel. Also, do I have to do anything to get the wireless adapter to work. I'm currently using madwifi on the standard 8.10 kernel, but will I need to do this on the sickboy kernel. Finally, is Bluetooth supported with this? When I last tried it, my external bluetooth adaptor wasn't detected.

Thanks

iandotcom, Dec 29, 2008
  15. SlCKB0Y

tomt

Do I just install 8.10 as normal, then install both files from here:

viewtopic.php?p=49360#p49360
    Headers and Kernel ??

Is that it ?
    Thanks

tomt, Dec 29, 2008
  16. SlCKB0Y

RooMonster

Re: UPDATED-2.6.28-rc7 Kernel Image and Headers. 100% Working

Truecrypt will work with sickboy's kernel. Although you will need to turn off the 'Use kernel encryption' (can't remember the exact title of the option) from the truecrypt perferences window.

RooMonster, Dec 30, 2008
  17. SlCKB0Y

exwannabe

Yes (though the headers are only needed if you need to build module type stuff from source). I just installed a few minutes ago and all looks fine.

exwannabe, Dec 30, 2008
  18. SlCKB0Y

Casao

How would one go about getting Broadcom wireless support into this? I've got the Broadcom card and I want a custom kernel but this does not seem to support it. Any help?

Casao, Dec 30, 2008
  19. SlCKB0Y

exwannabe

You're kind of asking 2 questions here.

Getting the Broadcom to work under any Linux might be tricky. Do you have it working under U. 8.4 or 8.10?

If not, I would start there before attacking stick's kernel.Search on "linux wifi broadcom" and you will quickly find the story.

If you do have it working, then you need the modules (either the broadcom driver or ndis) to run under the new kernel. They might just work. If not they need recompiling against the header files.

Unfortunately, you are on a very linux unfriendly card. If you are not comfortable compiling kernel modules you might want to avoid this.

exwannabe, Dec 31, 2008
  20. SlCKB0Y

figvam

FYI I compiled the latest 2.6.28 based on the Sickboy's config with some changes (and even one patch - add support for Atom N270 to coretemp driver), and I'm running it for 3 days. I just don't have a place to host it. I've tried to use PPA but there are so many hoops to jump through that I'm still struggling with creating all necessary files.

figvam, Dec 31, 2008
Ask a Question