please help! can't download new programmes!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by kirst, Jan 2, 2009.

1. kirst

kirst

hi, I'm very new to computing and would like to download a Java programme on to my acer, but the computer won't let it happen!! Have been trying for hours and it seems like my acer won't support or run new programmes. Have tried to install manually, but then can't find anything after i entered loads of codes in the terminal!! does any of this make sense? :?:
    if anyone could help would be eternally grateful!!

kirst, Jan 2, 2009
  2. kirst

daldred

Let's start with some basic information to work out what you're trying to do!

What operating system are you using - Linux or Windows?

What exactly are you trying to download, and (if you're using Linux) why are you downloading rather than using the add/remove software system?

What commands have you been trying in the terminal?

daldred, Jan 2, 2009
  3. kirst

kirst

Thank you for trying to help!

ok, have been trying to download Java, and I have the Linux system installed. I can't find the section on my computer where it gives you the option of add or remove programs. I found a website on the net where the guy gave you step by step instructions on how to manually install Java via the terminal, but the problem is, it always appears as a download and there is no system on the computer that will open it!!
    (can you tell i'm completely new to this stuff!)

kirst, Jan 3, 2009
  4. kirst

daldred

To understand how to get to and use the add/remove software system, see this Howto.

daldred, Jan 3, 2009
Ask a Question