Please help me reinstall XP

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ColdHeat, Jan 11, 2009.

1. ColdHeat

ColdHeat

OK on the desire to try out Linpus Lite, and believing Acer had the brains to include a real XP reinstall CD, I installed Linpus Lite.

Now I have what is quite possibly the most annoying and least powerful OS in the world and I want XP back.

I have both of the DVDs that Acer provided with XP but I have no idea WTF they do.

Please help.

ColdHeat, Jan 11, 2009
  2. ColdHeat

treker

1. Start AA1 and immedialtely hit F12 to enter BOOT MENU.
    2. Boot to the System CD with an external CD/DVD drive. Follow the menu. It will install Windows from the second CD.

It works for my AA1 with SSD.

treker, Jan 11, 2009
  3. ColdHeat

ColdHeat

Is there any way to do it from USB flash drive?

and is the first disc the one labled Windows SP3 or is it the other one?

ColdHeat, Jan 11, 2009
  4. ColdHeat

treker

My first CD is labelled 'System CD'
    The other is Windows XP

I have no idea how to get CD to USB without a CD drive??? Maybe some guru can help you magically change CDs to USB?

treker, Jan 11, 2009
  5. ColdHeat

ColdHeat

I have a laptop with a DVD Drive.

I'll play around with it and if worst comes to worst I'll just buy an External Drive.

ColdHeat, Jan 11, 2009
  6. ColdHeat

treker

There are lots of posts of how to install Windows via Flashdrive if that is the way you want to go.

treker, Jan 11, 2009
  7. ColdHeat

ColdHeat

Using the two DVDs? I think not.

ColdHeat, Jan 11, 2009
  8. ColdHeat

jbhtex

Just as (treker) said. There are plenty of ways to do this. Sorry you do not believe so...

jbhtex, Jan 20, 2009
  9. ColdHeat

NecOn

NecOn, Jan 20, 2009
  10. ColdHeat

NecOn

i wuld assume its the same proccess if u use dvds instead of the usb stiks you probably just skip the usb part of the guide and in bios select the dvd drive instead of the usb one. goodluck man

NecOn, Jan 20, 2009
  11. ColdHeat

Joe327

An extenal DVD/CD drive is worth getting...makes installing new software (or reinstalling XP operating system) as easy as on a desktop machine. Same thing for an external/portable harddrive...you just have to be sensitive to the power requirements. I have an older palm-sized 60gig that I use to transfer larger file from my desktop and it will suck my 3-cell battery dry in 1 1/2 hrs.

Joe327, Jan 21, 2009
  12. ColdHeat

Heidaly

I know this is several months since your post, but hopefully you will get this.

Since the external CD drive didn't come with the system, the driver for it is not on the recovery CD. Theoretically everyone has a different make/model, the drivers for which were added by the users. If you boot to the recovery CD and reinstall, won't it wipe out the driver you installed when it formats the C, making your external drive unreadable to reinstall the xp software?

I've read about making an image of the CD disk, then using that to reinstall, probably from a thumb drive in the USB slot. Would this be preferable?

Any help would be appreciated!

Heidi
    Eugene, Oregon

Heidaly, Apr 6, 2009
  13. ColdHeat

clawmvp

clawmvp, Apr 6, 2009
  14. ColdHeat

Heidaly

I actually have an older (1999) ext CD drive. Before I began having all these problems I installed the driver and was able to install a couple of programs to the AA1.

Now my AA1 is all screwed up, and I need to reinstall the recovery disks but I can't! I went and bought a brand new LG ext drive, turned it on and plugged it in, then turned on the AAI and hit F12, expecting to get "ext CD player" in addition to the hard drive and the SD disk as boot choices, but it wasn't there. So I copied the recovery disk to a thumb drive, plugged it in, hit F12 and the AAI saw it, but when I selected it and hit enter, it just went into Windows again.

And the XPsetupfromUSB program only works with a straight XP program, not the double recovery disks that Acer sends.

Is there some trick to getting it to see the ext drive at start up??? If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it. (I've emailed ACER tech support, but you know how that is!)

Heidi

Heidaly, Apr 8, 2009
  15. ColdHeat

Heidaly

The trouble is, the AA1 reinstall is not the same as just having the XP disk. Even the disk labeled "Windows XP" is not the same as purchasing XP by itself. I bought an LG external drive today, plugged it in, turned it on, and when I hit f12 on startup, it still didn't give me the drive as an option -- Just the SSD drive and the extra 8 gig card.

Heidi

Heidaly, Apr 8, 2009
  16. ColdHeat

Aspiration

I can't even get xp to install off its dvd and onto an external usb drive. Windows crashes as soon as it finishes loading and tries to boot. What gives?

Aspiration, Jul 10, 2009
  17. ColdHeat

Aspiration

Actually, it won't.
    I always get the blue screen of death whenever it finishes loading xp and tries to run it.

Aspiration, Jul 10, 2009
  18. ColdHeat

Aspiration

I can't install xp from an external dvd rom to an external usb hd. xp crashes every time it finishes loading. How did you get it to work?

p.s. wife bought a vista laptop after our dog busted the hinge on her old laptop. vista is just a dumb ass like xp when it comes to partitioning hard drives. 2 minutes booting my mac fixed that problem. Why can't Microsoft have an easy to use partition program? Windows is so dumb when it comes to doing simple stuff like repartioning a hard drive.

Aspiration, Jul 23, 2009
  19. ColdHeat

suneelkumar85

1. Start AA1 and immedialtely hit F12 to enter BOOT MENU.
    2. Boot to the System CD with an external CD/DVD drive. Follow the menu. It will install Windows from the second CD.

It works for my AA1 with SSD.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    naruto games
    nintendo console

suneelkumar85, Aug 31, 2009
Ask a Question