Please help, very frustrated!!!

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Aspire_OneMAn, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Aspire_OneMAn

Aspire_OneMAn

Hello everyone.

Im sorry that iv created another topic to help me, but right now im really frustrated and feel like smashing my aspire one.

I ordered some toshiba zif cables that fit perfectly to the motherboard and HDD.

I have a toshiba MK3008GAL,

I get a SOLID HDD light on the motherboard

Bios does not detect HDD, nor does the vista cd

Drive can be heard spinning, but thats it

Is my HDD broke, locked or could it be the version of my bios, please help. The MK3008GAL was previously in an ipod, could this be the reason why its not detected.

If some one can help me, i will post the remaining number of zif cables to people who require some, and i am also willing to make a payment though paypal to the person who figures out a solution.

Thanx

Aspire_OneMAn, Nov 6, 2008
  2. Aspire_OneMAn

Aspire_OneMAn

The latest bios v3305 update has not helped, still nothing detected

Aspire_OneMAn, Nov 6, 2008
  3. Aspire_OneMAn

toohai2

I'm just a noob and have only had my AA1 for a week...

but first has the drive been slow formatted? like with a usb enclosure or adapter and thru a separate pc's device mgr?
    I have found making sure the drive is clean saves a lot of headache.
    MK's are notorious for failing, but i have been able to get a couple working that way.
    More than likely, that MK is bad...
    They will spin even if they are bad, and the device mgr will not see it ..if it is.
    If it does see it, do a slow format from that different desktop or laptop.

-Sean

toohai2, Nov 7, 2008
  4. Aspire_OneMAn

Tamrac

I'm not sure about this, but I think I've read somewhere that there's a flip ZIF cable, or something.... maybe that's the reason you're drive is not recognized.

Tamrac, Nov 7, 2008
  5. Aspire_OneMAn

Aspire_OneMAn

I didnt think formating determined whether the bios would detect it, however thats still a great idea, i need to get my self a 1.8 zif external enclosure from ebay. Thankyou for your help mate, i really appreciate it

I dont think the toshiba drives require a flip cable, the hitachi drives require flip cables, but thankyou for your suggestion.

Aspire_OneMAn, Nov 7, 2008
  6. Aspire_OneMAn

rory

Thnks for the input, but a flip cable is not required for toshiba drives.
    This could well have confused the original poster further but luckiy hasnt..

On topic, my mah6008 or whatever its called (toshiba 60gb zif) is really tempremental, and i have to put it in a very specific way for it to work...

try running it all open, especially try with the cable flat, ie a straight line cable from the connector to the drive, then you can find if its a faulty drive.
    plus if hat doesnt work, try sanding down the original cable so it will fit, then you can test it, or alternatively (like i did) but a cf 2 if adapter, mine came with 2 normal zif cables.

i lost a drive in the post that i thougth was faulty, so sent back and it wasnt faulty most likely. i only know because the same happened with my current (ie second) drive at first, then through doing wat i said above, i worked out it was just tempremental and now its fine.

Rory

rory, Nov 8, 2008
Ask a Question