Pop-up reminder about Recovery Disk?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by blue, Apr 15, 2009.

1. blue

blue

I have a new 10" AA1. I can't make a recovery disk since I don't have an external burner. However, I'd like to stop the pop-up reminder that appears every few minutes. It is annoying. Any suggestions about how to get rid of it? I'm a pretty unsophisticated computer person. Thanks.

blue, Apr 15, 2009
  2. blue

tolui

Yep... I've done it too...

Go to Start menu --> Run --> Type in msconfig and OK

in the opened up windows go to start-up tab... There you'll have many programs that loaded up in the windows upon booting which by disabling unwanted one will enhance the booting time...

uncheck the box next to ProductReg (related Acer program files folder) --> restart

tolui, Apr 16, 2009
  3. blue

blue

I'm the original poster, the one with the problem. When I follow your suggestion I do not find, after I get to the start-up tab, the option you suggest (ProductReg - related Acer program files folder). Thus, I cannot remove the check mark. Could you double-check just what the exact term is that I should uncheck. Thanks.

blue, Apr 16, 2009
  4. blue

tolui

hmm.. I re-checked it, the startup item "ProductReg" and its Command column refer to"C:\Program files \Acer\WR_Popup\productreg.exe" ...

tolui, Apr 16, 2009
  5. blue

blue

Blue here again, the original poster. I find two possibilities:

C:\ProgramFiles\Acer\Acer eRecovery Management\NotificationLauncher.exe

and

C:\Progra~1\Acer\ACERVC~1\AcerVCM.exe

My guess is that it might be the first one, but that is certainly not the wording on yours. I wonder why the difference - my Acer Aspire One was just purchased a couple of weeks ago, and is the 10" screen. I'm enough of an amateur at this that I'm afraid to check either of the above possibilities until I get a bit more assurance from someone like yourself that there is no harm in trying.

Thanks.

blue, Apr 17, 2009
  6. blue

adrianaitken

Edit the line to read

C:\ProgramFiles\Acer\Acer eRecovery Management\xNotificationLauncher.exe

and reboot. If it works (ie no pop up) then delete the line else remove the 'x' you inserted and try doing it to the other line.

adrianaitken, Apr 17, 2009
  7. blue

switchblade

AcerVCM.exe belongs to the Acer Video Conference Manager.

switchblade, Apr 19, 2009
  8. blue

blue

Thanks to you guys. Being the chicken that I am about editing the registry, I decided the risk was lower by un-checking the first of the two items listed in my previus posts. I did that, and so far I have noted no adverse side effects, and it seems to have gotten rid of the pop-up reminder that was bothering me.

Somewhat related, I want to share my experience seeking answers to the same question from the Acer official help staff. At least 25 emails exchanged with various people there, and none of them provided a solution. I was given lots of dead end approaches, and probably half the time the person obviously didn't even understand my question. I asked about the "pop-up reminder to do a recovery disk" and the people at the other end apparently just saw the term recovery disk and then automatically replied with various scripted replies related to making recovery disks, using them, storing them, etc.

Again, thanks to all you guys here.

blue, Apr 19, 2009
Ask a Question