possible newbie questions: mouse control, pidgin, openssh...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by stephtara, Jan 12, 2009.

1. stephtara

stephtara

Hello there!

I am a new -- slightly frustrated but overall happy -- acer aspire one owner. Here's what I'm stuck with (I'm a machead, but have a gentoo web server so assume reasonable geek background, but not too much):

- I can't get the mouse to slow down enough for me (I have RSI and some loss of fine motor control). I've used the advance menu setting for the mouse, set threshold to lowest and acceleration to slowest. Is there anything else I can do to have less mouse movement on my screen for the same amount of finger movement (command-line maybe, somewhere?)
    - I installed pidgin using yum (that was what was recommended to me as an all-in-one IM client) but now I'm not sure where to find it to run it, and not sure if using yum for that was the right way to do things
    - I installed openssh with yum (I need to be able to ssh out to my server, and ssh didn't seem installed) and again, maybe it wasn't the right way to do things, because it doesn't seem to work
    - there seems to be a way to scroll using the trackpad, but I haven't figured out how

Thanks for your help regarding these four points, and looking forward to being functional and autonomous on my acer aspire one! (I've already almost got used to the keyboard size -- I touchtype)

Steph

stephtara, Jan 12, 2009
  2. stephtara

markh

For the mouse, I'm sure there will be a file to edit somewhere, but I'm not sure what or where.

For the two progs you installed, yum was fine, and you now have them on your machine, but they do not automatically get added to your main menus. You could enable the right-click menu (recommended anyway), and they will probably appear there. To add them to the main menu,this topic has some hints.
    (Slight backtrack, ssh might be a command line only program; I've not used it. Pidgin is definitely a GUI program).

You can enable touchpad scrolling in the touchpad settings. There's an unmarked strip at the bottom, and the right, which has the scroll. Takes a while to get used to.

I guess that's about 1 and half answers to 4 questions - hopefully someone will fill in the rest.

markh, Jan 12, 2009
  3. stephtara

stephtara

my assumption too -- could anybody point me to the file and the settings to change?

done that already before, can't see pidgin appear anywhere in the right-click menu applications, which is where I looked first.

ssh is indeed a command-line utility, which you invoke by typing "ssh [email protected]" at the prompt. still doesn't work, I guess I must do something more than yum install to activate it but no idea what.

thanks, got that now!

yup, any takers? :)

stephtara, Jan 13, 2009
  4. stephtara

markh

Hmm, have you gone looking for the .desktop file?
    Yum should be everything you need for getting a command line program - it's only desktop icons that should require extra faff. Are you sure of the syntax? It might be worth trying (from memory) "ssh -l user domain" with no @ - I think there's a difference between traditional ssh and our ssh.

markh, Jan 13, 2009
  5. stephtara

rbil

As far as I recollect, ssh comes pre-installed on Linpus and there shouldn't be any need to install it manually. Do a:

which ssh

to see whether it is there. As to the command you're trying to use, it's quite possible it doesn't know where "domain.com" is located. Try using the IP address of the box you want to connect to instead of the domain name.

Cheers.

rbil, Jan 13, 2009
  6. stephtara

JerryP

I had problems with the touchpad, too. It's much too sensitive for me. Also, changes I made using the graphical settings didn't seem to be permanent.
    Look for a file called IIRC, .gsynaptics in the home directory. There should be 3 options near the end of the file:
    Option "MinSpeed" "0.02"
    Option "MaxSpeed" "0.05"
    Option "AccelFactor" "0.0005"
    These are my changed values, BTW. You can experiment by opening a terminal window and using the synclient program, for example:
    synclient MinSpeed=0.02
    this will immediately change the MinSpeed parameter. When you've found the values you like, put them in the .gsynaptics file.

JerryP, Jan 17, 2009
  7. stephtara

libssd

I was also having problems installing ssh. The following seems to work:

Code:
    sudo yum install openssh-clients
    After this, "which ssh" returns: /usr/bin/ssh and ssh works at the command line.

Note: The remote server will connect only to a known user, which your Acer Linpus "user" is probably not, so you need to use "ssh -l username hostname" where username is your account on the server, and hostname is the name of the server.

libssd, Jan 30, 2009
  8. stephtara

chupachups

thanks openssh-clients solved my access problem

chupachups, Feb 15, 2009
Ask a Question