Power/Battery Mgmt in OS-X

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by kc2aqg, Feb 17, 2009.

1. kc2aqg

kc2aqg

First of all, many thanks to diablonet, the developers of iAtkos, and all the users who have gone before me and gotten this working - your posts on this site were extremely helpful. Thanks to you, I can now say I have Leopard running on my AA1!!! It is running really smooth now that all of the tweaks are out of the way.

One thing I have noticed though is that I seem to be missing a battery indication of how much battery life is left or whether the unit is plugged in in the OS toolbar (on the Macbook/Mac Pro it is in the upper right corner near the clock). Is this common or am I missing something? I can't find any options for this in System Preferences so I don't think it's a checkbox for just displaying the item. Also, I did install the updated power management kext as was directed by diablonet's 10.5.5 -> 10.5.6 install. I would really like this feature, otherwise I can't tell the unit is low on power until the red indicator light starts flashing.

On a similar note, I noticed in Windows XP (the OS the unit came with) the hard drive was nice and quiet, but now running iAtkos with the Voodoo kernel, the hard drive makes repeated clicking noises. So I know that it isn't a problem with the drive as has been reported before, but it seems like it is a power management issue with Linux and "parking the drive heads". Has anyone found a fix for this too? When I run terminal and try to set the hdparm parameters as previously recommended on this site, it says the command is unknown.

Thanks for any help!

kc2aqg, Feb 17, 2009
  2. kc2aqg

chuckcalo

Don't really know about the HDD clicking noises as I got them back in Windows XP/Vista and I'm getting them less frequent in OS X so I just got to live with them.

As for the Battery Indicator if you really followed up the threads here on installing the kexts I think you should have it working. I suggest you reinstalling using the guide posted by SbM. If you don't want to reinstall try a program called coconutBattery. Good luck with that.

chuckcalo, Feb 17, 2009
  3. kc2aqg

CopyCatz

I installed the xxx release that is explained in some other threads, the battery indicator is fine for me. The only problem is like you say, hd clicking and also fan running at full speed with no power management whatsoever. Can't run OSX for long on the standard battery.

CopyCatz, Feb 17, 2009
Ask a Question