Power Option Keeps Resetting Damaging Computer

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by vilmosz, Nov 10, 2008.

1. vilmosz

vilmosz

I've seen this issue on other Acer (i.e., non-Aspire) forums. My power options keep resetting such that when I put the computer in my backpack in standby mode it resets, wakes up, and then overheats while discharging the battery.

You can imagine how frustrating this is. After it happened once, I got into the habit of completely shutting down before putting in my backpack (something I do NOT have to do with my HP and Mac laptops, btw).

But after double checking my power options settings and then checking to see if closing the screen truly caused the power to go into standby, it seemed safe to once again pop the machine into my backpack and it happened again. The machine woke up, battery discharged, and I woke up the next morning I noticed both the machine and my backpack were hot.

I have no way of knowing whether after this having happened three times, my machine is damaged but I am frustrated enough to want to request either a refund or exchage. (Received delivery on this from Amazon on 10/24.)

I have the 6cel, 160g, XP version. Coral Blue

I'd appreciate your input on this matter.

vilmosz, Nov 10, 2008
  2. vilmosz

nmesisca

there are many reasons why this could happen.
    first of all, is it the stock Windows installation?
    if not, is it a full install of XP or a tiny/nlited version?
    do you have ANYthing plugged when you're putting the laptop to sleep (bluetooth, usb devices..)?
    if so, unplug EVERYTHING and try again.
    Also, go in the NIC property page, the last tab should have power options which could interfere with the standby process. You may want to check that too.

hope it helps,
    N

nmesisca, Nov 10, 2008
  3. vilmosz

vilmosz

Thanks for the advice, and I will try it.
    BUT... after having this happened THREE times -- i.e., after my laptop sitting in a backpack frying with the battery running to empty all because this power option resets itself, wouldn't you imagine the machine has suffered damage and wouldn't you recommend I try and get a replacement from Acer? I've had it less than thirty days.

vilmosz, Nov 10, 2008
  4. vilmosz

nmesisca

i wouldnt go as far as that.
    yeah, a laptop powered on in a bag is not the greatest thing, I will give you that, but provided it doesnt happen every single day of its life, you have probably only added a bit of wear to the components.
    I do not think this is significant given the life of the device. If nothing has burned so far, just make sure it doesnt happen again until you have found the reason for this.
    Also, I would start using hibernate instead of sleep.

nmesisca, Nov 10, 2008
  5. vilmosz

goofball

something is causing it to wake up. Perhaps something is hitting a key to wake it from sleep/standby?
    I do know that even unplugging a usb device from my Acer Aspire 5570 while it is in sleep/standby will wake it up.

goofball, Nov 11, 2008
  6. vilmosz

Guest Guest

You might want to to check running programs that might prevent the computer from going into sleep mode. I have not experience this but it could happen

Guest, Nov 12, 2008
  7. vilmosz

djt205

If you need to know WHEN it's waking up, you can look in the Eventlog. Strange, 1st time I've heard of this on an AA1.

djt205, Nov 13, 2008
Ask a Question