Power options for internal bluetooth mod?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Zorba, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Zorba

Zorba

New user here...

My original-spec 8.9" Aspire-One blew its hard drive last week, so I decided to upgrade the RAM and do tnkgrl's internal bluetooth mod while I have it open.

However,

I'd *REALLY* like to be able to turn the bluetooth on/off - either in tandem with the wireless, or with the "other way" of the sliding wireless power switch (intended for a 3G module). I'm an electronics tech, but I certainly don't like re-inventing the wheel. I'm getting the impression that there is no switched +5V available on this puppy, so I'm thinking of a FET switch coming off of switched 3.3V from one or the other of the mini PCI-e connections - and using that to switch the +5V from Tnkgrl's suggested power tap. I haven't done a LOT of probing around - but it seems the 3.3 isn't switched either - is the wireless/3G switch a low side switch?

Any clues would be appreciated - I'm trying to keep the probing around to a minimum.

Zorba, Apr 26, 2012
  2. Zorba

Zorba

Actually, the real solution was to replace the wireless card with an Intel combo wireless-N/Bluetooth card. The new card was half height, so I also needed a half height adapter bracket. Works like a champ.

Zorba, May 8, 2012
Ask a Question