Powers on for 1 second

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by brentonwelsh, Dec 25, 2008.

1. brentonwelsh

brentonwelsh

Hi I have a A150aw which I used for about 1 hour this morning - everything seemed fine. I then connected it to charge and when I tried it a few hours later it would not turn on. Pressing the power button results in the LED flashing green once for about one second, and then turning off. I have tried it with the battery, without the battery and just external power and the symptons are the same - the power LED turns green for a second and then off - I don't get any acer splash screen or anything. I don't think that there will be power to flash the bios (which seems to be one solution offered here but this seems to be related to a dead machine when the power LED stays green). Not too sure what has gone wrong here as everything seemed to be working fine this morning. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

brentonwelsh, Dec 25, 2008
  2. brentonwelsh

tanawha

My new Acer Asprie One AOA150-1570 did exactly the same thing after a week of on and off use.
    Acer sent out a new power adapter to see if that might be the problem, but no luck.
    I returned the laptop for repair and their email suggests I should receive it back by Jan. 2, 2009.

tanawha, Dec 28, 2008
  3. brentonwelsh

tanawha

Received AOA back from tech support with a note stating that they had updated BIOS to 3309.
    Plugged in and still has same symptions as before.
    Will not boot-power light flickers and then goes off.
    Tried replacment power adpater with same results.
    Have tried with battery both installed and removed!
    It's now been sent back to Acer for repair AGAIN!!!!!

tanawha, Jan 17, 2009
  4. brentonwelsh

UncleBeer

A similar experience here. I tried Macles' "emergency boot" trick about a thousand times, with a variety of USB sticks; no joy.

Finally sent it back to Acer, and they replaced the motherboard. There's clearly some fault in their design that this many people have the same kind of failure.

UncleBeer, Jan 17, 2009
  5. brentonwelsh

gaz_hayes

I really regret buying my aspire one.

I have the same problem and also suspect its the mother board as the power adapter seems to be OK (tested it with a voltmeter).

I bought it in Hong Kong and wont be back there again for 2 weeks, I'm in mainland china now. I can't get support in China and have to wait till I go back to HK.

I was planning on doing a lot of work today and have a business to run, these things look nice but I should have spent the extra money and gone with a better brand, ones that don't die a month after purchase. If you need something reliable, don't buy one of these.

I will keep everyone posted on what Acer have to say. Does anyone have experience with their support? I did not register my laptop with them, but I do have the sales receipt. Bought it at the end of 2008.

gaz_hayes, Mar 5, 2009
Ask a Question