Powersaving Tips

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SlCKB0Y, Dec 7, 2008.

1. SlCKB0Y

exwannabe

I have tried (now running) but it has little if any effect. The problem is you can't undervolt at 800MHz, and thats where most time is.

Still, perhaps all the little things help. I will run out of gas at 2:35 here very, very shortly.

exwannabe, Jan 19, 2009
  2. SlCKB0Y

hardran3

It will help during high CPU load though. As you can see from my previous thread it saves about 1.4 watts under high load. Might as well squeeze every possible second from that little 3 cell battery.

hardran3, Jan 19, 2009
  3. SlCKB0Y

jango

I have made every teaks from the wiki on my Ubuntu 8.10 SICKBOY kernel and i can get over 1h45min max :(
    What im doing wrong?

Thanks

jango, Jan 21, 2009
  4. SlCKB0Y

exwannabe

First, see if you have a bad battery. Click on power applet, then on the "laptop battery". The last full charge should be over 23Wh.

Also, do you have a hard drive? I am SSD.

And next, make certain your backlight is dimming.

One last Q, I just do random web surfing on wifi, nothing in my USB ports. This can make a differnce.

exwannabe, Jan 22, 2009
  5. SlCKB0Y

jango

I runing Ubuntu 8.10 with home partition on SDHC 8gb left side card reader, my AAO have SSD and my internet is cable.
    I can find power applet??? Are you talking about Ubuntu?
    Yesterday i have made a test, on battery icon it only says that battery life is 1h45min but its not real, because im getting 2h15min :D

jango, Jan 22, 2009
  6. SlCKB0Y

g0atse

Here are some of my observations/(tips) to add in this thread (very rough watt estimations)
    -fan controlling with acerfand saves about 0.5W. (powertop 9.4W -> 8.9W).
    -Disabling 3D saves 0.6W. Added option "NoDRI" in xorg.conf (powertop 8.9W -> 8.3W). This causes some artifacts on Netbook launcher and makes it unresponsible.

I've checked some values in other direction too like killing acerfand caused 8.3W -> 8.7W etc...

g0atse, Jan 23, 2009
  7. SlCKB0Y

hardran3

Thanks for the NoDRI tip. I'm now idling at 8.0 watts, wifi on, lowest brightness.

hardran3, Jan 24, 2009
  8. SlCKB0Y

draft

draft, Jan 24, 2009
  9. SlCKB0Y

hardran3

I have noticed that gnome-power-manager in intrepid is a little unreliable. I wouldnt trust it :)

hardran3, Jan 24, 2009
  10. SlCKB0Y

aabxx

I've been to below 8 watts with wifi and sound and lowest brightness. I mentioned that in an old thread here.

That was on a debian though (I did try ubuntu as well but stuck with debian as that was giving me better numbers).

It's a hit and miss process though. I think I just got lucky at one point because later i tried to replicate my results but it didn't work. At this point I just think sod alI cannot bother with all the customization I'm going for a long holiday soon and right now installing debian again to *work nice*. I can live with 15 minutes less battery time. My two batteries have lost some life anyway, why worry so much it's such a geekish nonsense thing to do. It's easier to just buy a new gigantic battery off ebay in 6 months. :D

Yes, that a defeatist attitude.

aabxx, Jan 25, 2009
  11. SlCKB0Y

draft

draft, Feb 4, 2009
  12. SlCKB0Y

ags

For various reasons I've long been running Xubuntu with the hpet clocksource. Now I find much to my surprise that hpet is a recognised way of saving battery power (Google it) :D So, that's my contribution to this thread... ;)

To use hpet, look for the kopt line in /boot/grub/menu.lst - like this

Code:
    # kopt=root=UUID=24a92c9e-fb73-4675-be75-c50e3c540a9f ro
    An add clocksource=hpet

Code:
    # kopt=root=UUID=24a92c9e-fb73-4675-be75-c50e3c540a9f clocksource=hpet ro
    Don't remove the '#' at the beginning of the line - it's meant to be there... :!:

Run 'sudo update-grub' to make it stick...

ags, Feb 17, 2009
  13. SlCKB0Y

draft

I'm running sickboys kernel and it seems that hpet is acitve by default. According to http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/faq.php, one can check with "grep hpet /proc/timer_list" if hpet is active. If this command outputs something like "Clock Event Device: hpet" as on my AA1, then hpet is already active.

draft, Feb 21, 2009
Ask a Question