PQSERVICE partition question

Discussion in 'Windows' started by wongnog, Nov 14, 2008.

1. wongnog

wongnog

Hey all, just got my brand new AA1 160gb WinXP. I'm thinking of installing Vista on it and formatting the C:\ drive while I'm at it. So long as I don't touch the hidden system recovery partition (PQSERVICE), I can still restore my system back to default XP config any time by going through the BIOS menu, am I right? Or will wiping the C:\ drive also remove some of the necessary eRecovery stuff? Thanks guys

wongnog, Nov 14, 2008
  2. wongnog

melhiore

Partition Magic will show you hidden partition. It will be something small by the end of HDD. Do not touch this partition and will be fine. With the rest of HDD you can whatever you want :)

melhiore, Nov 15, 2008
  3. wongnog

laughinboy

Installing Vista will overwrite the ACER mbr causing the D2D Recovery(ALT+F10) to stop functioning - a headache if you wish to reinstall XP.

I used this link to solve the issue with my One so maybe you should bookmark it for future reference (just in case).
    http://www.ipconfig.co.nz/blog/index.cf ... D-recovery

laughinboy, Nov 15, 2008
  4. wongnog

wongnog

THANK YOU so much for that link. That is exactly what I thought might happen if I wiped my C:\ drive and installed Vista. The comments in that post also mention some other tips, so I'll definitely bookmark this on my regular computer

wongnog, Nov 15, 2008
  5. wongnog

fastrx8

Definitely a life saver.
    Worked like a charm. Thanks for the link.

fastrx8, Dec 3, 2008
Ask a Question